Batman (1989) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Titans of Cult Exclusive #9) [UK]

Feb 10, 2020
Release date: March 22, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - The Entertainment Store (eBay) (Pre-order on February 15)
Price: £29.99 (Zavvi - WB Shop - HMV - eBay) - £30.00 (Amazon)

148526315_504232367640287_1286063053989270317_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love and hate that we have the same conversation in every ToC bar maybe one or two releases (blade runner and 2001) because they genuinely have a cult following. Just says a lot about the definition and statement of their name compared to what they actually release and the misuse of their name.

I think there’s one thing we can all agree on, or at least a majority of us, they don’t live up to their name with their releases except the two I mentioned. Possibly even mad max to a degree. I’m not on about art used (which is questionable imo but I suppose they have a style they live by), just film titles

I love and hate that we have the same conversation in every ToC bar maybe one or two releases (blade runner and 2001) because they genuinely have a cult following. Just says a lot about the definition and statement of their name compared to what they actually release and the misuse of their name.

I think there’s one thing we can all agree on, or at least a majority of us, they don’t live up to their name with their releases except the two I mentioned. Possibly even mad max to a degree. I’m not on about art used (which is questionable imo but I suppose they have a style they live by), just film titles
Agreed. I'd say BR & 2001 unquestionably are. Batman and V are as well, perhaps to a lesser degree. I think MM is to some extent, even if it's only because of the legacy carried over from with themes of the original trilogy.

The brand name is cool and all that, but it's not very accurate to the their release catalogue. Unless of course they are using the word "cult" in it's most literal sense, being "excessive devotion to.." In which case an argument could be made that their label displays cult towards cinema in general.

Last edited:
This movie could use a good steelbook but never in a million years would I consider Tim Burton’s Batman a cult film - although it’s a purely subjective interpretation.

If ToC wanted to live up to their name and make a steelbook for a superhero cult film, then something like The Toxic Avenger comes to mind.

I don’t like the designs of the Shout Factory steelbooks (I do own the Humanoid from the Deep steelbook, though), but their releases are generally more what I would define as cult films. I mean, they release Motel Hell and Pumpkinhead while ToC gives us Ready Player One.

Truly hilarious what can be read/seen in this thread LOL Toxic Avenger cult movie :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: this flick has fanbase like...200 people?

Damn! Toxic Avenger

tenor.gif

Okay, so now cult status defined solely by the size of and not the passion of the fan base? So for you Dark Phoenix must be stellar cult film. It’s got more than 200 fans!

Like I wrote, it’s subjective so you all can respond to it and disagree without acting like you have some overarching authority to define what constitutes a cult film.

I wrote the I don’t think Burton’s Batman is a cult film. Other do. it’s fine by me. The funny thing is I don’t even like The Toxic Avenger. I think it’s a terrible movie. But I still think it meets my criteria for a cult film. It’s fine if it doesn’t meet yours.

The lines between a cult film and a crap film are getting blurred here... :rofl:

All jokes aside, a film's status is completely subjective and we'll all have differing opinions on this. End of the day though, any "cult" films ToC do actually release are only going to be those they consider to have a large enough fan base to sell volume.

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k and JGCramp
Truly hilarious what can be read/seen in this thread LOL Toxic Avenger cult movie :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: this flick has fanbase like...200 people?

Damn! Toxic Avenger

tenor.gif
More like 201 plus him...lol

Seriously, I do think Titans of Cult is a brand name and not necessarily means only movies considered "cult" are to be released.

More like 201 plus him...lol

Seriously, I do think Titans of Cult is a brand name and not necessarily means only movies considered "cult" are to be released.
Okay, okay...

Obviously I lack a nuanced expertise on cult films, which will probably never bother me for a second in my life but I'm glad I gave you all a good laugh. And fwiw I obviously understand Titans of Cult don't have to release cult films but that won't stop me from continuing to be annoyed by the name Titans of Cult. Don't know why. Just annoys me.

But I'm not lying that I actually hate the toxic avenger so I'm not even sure why that came to mind as an example. In retrospect it was a regrettable choice. But in the scope of regrettable choices I've made in my life, this one wasn't so bad. At least I didn't say Ishtar or Gigli. I'm not dying on that hill.

Mate, something making money does not discount it from having a cult following or classification.
It's not a cult film. Cult following means a small, niche group of people like it. The Evil Dead movies are good examples of movies with cult followings. Anything popular or commercial is not cult.

Reactions: willbar84
It's not a cult film. Cult following means a small, niche group of people like it. The Evil Dead movies are good examples of movies with cult followings. Anything popular or commercial is not cult.
I mean you're wrong regarding the literal definition, but you're welcome to your own opinion on the classification of the film itself..

A 'cult' following has no baring on popularity or the size of the following. It's to do with the intensity and passion that following exhibits.

It is often affiliated with what would generally considered unpopular or niche subject matters, but that is by no means a requirement.

Last edited:
1610964551984.gif

Batman ‘89 a cult classic film, your joking
:rofl:
:rofl:
:hilarious:
people’s memories must be fading as this movie was massive and very popular with the masses. Merch sold by the 100’s of millions, my room was filled of it between this and Returns and along with B:TAS as well. Then most importantly it was a record setter back in ‘89 with only 10 days to sell 100million worth of tickets and at the time becoming one of the highest domestic grossing film of all time that year beating out massive IP sequels Indy and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, Back to the Future Part 2 and Lethal Weapon 2.

Reactions: davhyl and MM3