Aug 6, 2010
USA
Release date: October 2, 2018
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $12.99

beetle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: C.C. 95
I wish all of these halloween releases would come to Canada at those prices. Especially Nightmare Before Christmas.

If same finish and treatment as the one we got in the UK at that price (Zavvi take note) this steel is a steal:-

UK:-
3gdMU7F.jpg
XMKtC1F.jpg
Y9PPwpn.jpg
pbySxsl.jpg

LQR9SlD.jpg

I have the European version. Now I'm glad I do after seeing this flat and matte version.
And I didn't pay much for it from one of the retailers over there. Most likely one of the Amazons.

I also prefer the UK released Beetlejuice Steel with the gloss and embossing. The matte finishes on all this line looks rather cheap and lazy to me. I do like the artwork of the 'Salem's Lot Steel but again, would have preferred gloss.
The TrT Steel would have benefited the most from a glossy, I think. At least it has nice disc art, (nice art all around on it actually).
Thanks much PB for uploading the unboxing (above) enabling us to see what we are getting! Kuddos buddy! :happy:

Reactions: paulboland
I also prefer the UK released Beetlejuice Steel with the gloss and embossing. The matte finishes on all this line looks rather cheap and lazy to me. I do like the artwork of the 'Salem's Lot Steel but again, would have preferred gloss.
The TrT Steel would have benefited the most from a glossy, I think. At least it has nice disc art, (nice art all around on it actually).
Thanks much PB for uploading the unboxing (above) enabling us to see what we are getting! Kuddos buddy! :happy:
Matte finish is not a lack of gloss. It is a choice. Some steelbooks look awful in gloss, and some look much better as matte.
Matte finishes are not automatically lesser than gloss. There are terrible examples of each kind, and great examples of both.

Matte finish is not a lack of gloss. It is a choice. Some steelbooks look awful in gloss, and some look much better as matte.
Matte finishes are not automatically lesser than gloss. There are terrible examples of each kind, and great examples of both.
I have to disagree with you on that statement @C.C. 95

Steelbooks should have the maximum quality finish IMO especially 'premium' packages or what's the point really? Show me a gloss steelbook that would look better with a matte finish (GOTG BF, Blade Runner 2049 FAC) ? Whereas any matte steelbook can be improved with gloss varnish. You know it makes sense.

As collectors we see all the time that gloss finished steelbooks sell better than matte ones. So what does that tell you? I wonder if Blufans released their steelbooks with matte finishes would they be as popular?

As a collector who spends a lot on the hobby its nice when a company puts some effort into their product. It feels like they appreciate your business. Not just minimum effort at maximum profits......

Imagine shelling out 30k on a new car for it to have a streaky matte paint job!!

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you on that statement @C.C. 95

Steelbooks should have the maximum quality finish IMO especially 'premium' packages or what's the point really? Show me a gloss steelbook that would look better with a matte finish (GOTG BF, Blade Runner 2049 FAC) ? Whereas any matte steelbook can be improved with gloss varnish. You know it makes sense.

As collectors we see all the time that gloss finished steelbooks sell better than matte ones. So what does that tell you? I wonder if Blufans released their steelbooks with matte finishes would they be as popular?

As a collector who spends a lot on the hobby its nice when a company puts some effort into their product. It feels like they appreciate your business. Not just minimum effort at maximum profits......

Imagine shelling out 30k on a new car for it to have a streaky matte paint job!!
They both have their advantages.
Gloss doesn’t magically make a bad steelbook good. There are great matte steelbooks that would look terrible glossed and vise versa. And I don’t believe it is a measure of being “cheap”. Then is it also cheap to not emboss?
There are some steelbooks that are ridiculously embossed and glossed that look like they belong in the Liberace collection!
Gloss is not a measure of excellence any more than matte is a measure of cheapness.
Are oil paintings inherently better than watercolor paintings?
They are simply different artistic choices.
Neither one is inherently better.

A choice to "cheap" out :p
Gloss doesn’t magically make a bad steelbook good. There are great matte steelbooks that would look terrible glossed and vise versa. And I don’t believe it is a measure of being “cheap”.
Then is it also cheap to not emboss?
There are some steelbooks that are ridiculously embossed and glossed that look like they belong in the Liberace collection!
Gloss is not a measure of excellence any more than matte is a measure of cheapness.
Are oil paintings inherently better than watercolor paintings?
They are simply different artistic choices.
Neither one is inherently better.
OK, the most recent Atomic Blonde Kimchi steelbook being a prime and easy example lol. Feedback was quickly passed back to Kimchi>The Blu Collection to whom they replied to @cooey stating the reasoning to use matte opposed to gloss was purely down to cost (so not an artistic choice ;):rolleyes:).

That also being the type of steel that would have hugely benefited from using some form of gloss :banghead: If not full gloss, at least spot to make the pink title POP!

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Any examples?
Most black and white steel art or steelbooks with muted palettes look better in matte. (Straight Outta Compton, The Road, Walk amongst The Tombstones)...
And on the other side - an example would be the U.S. Akira Collector's edition, that looked like it was covered in 10 layers of gloss and should have a toy inside.
But everyone will have their own subjective opinion, much like the choice between Full slips and lenticulars.

^^ Exactly my friend, it is opinion that I'm confident we are portraying. Your analogy of Lenti's vs Full Slips is a good one. Personally I prefer lenti and will seek one out for a title if it exists and "settle" for an FS only if the price for the lenti is extravagant.
I know others that much prefer FS. It's opinion of course and luckily we often get choices.
I stand by my own preference for gloss on titles but anyone who prefers matte, is certainly NOT WRONG! :)

Reactions: C.C. 95
^^ Exactly my friend, it is opinion that I'm confident we are portraying. Your analogy of Lenti's vs Full Slips is a good one. Personally I prefer lenti and will seek one out for a title if it exists and "settle" for an FS only if the price for the lenti is extravagant.
I know others that much prefer FS. It's opinion of course and luckily we often get choices.
I stand by my own preference for gloss on titles but anyone who prefers matte, is certainly NOT WRONG! :)
There is no *wrong*, my friend....
...Except that pop art steelbooks are poop.:rofl::D
C'mon! We can all unite under that banner, right?!:hilarious::thumbs:;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Grendel