Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £19.99
Notes: 2 Discs (Blu-ray/DVD)

01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg
old.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought he didn't really look like him also.

I haven't seen this yet, but Freddie was a much bigger bloke than the actor. He's very scrawny, almost child like when you see him in the vest!

He was decent as the younger long haired Freddie although lacks the height but the second he cuts his hair and dons the tash he’s just too scrawny and small. And at the live aid gig Freddie was much meatier. Just don’t look right

I just found it very noticeable and annoying.

1552785335149.png

From what I've seen of the actor it's clear he's done an outstanding job playing Freddie although would be interesting to think how an earlier choice for the role - the 6' 3" 80kg Sacha Baron Cohen - would've fared leading to a similar but reverse height discussion.
As for the difference in stature between Mercury and Malek - not that much in it in point of fact . . . not for example in the same ballpark as the 6' 5" Jack Reacher as written played by the 5' 7" Tom Cruise as filmed:-
Height: Mercury 5' 9" vs. Malek 5' 7 1/4".
Weight: Mercury 74kg vs. Malek 70kg.

Reactions: spookz
I was a diehard Queen fan in the 70's followed them when I was still in school every one I knew hated them.Saw them live still have all the albums. I went to see this at the cinema. I have to agree with @Flloydo too many inaccuracies.The Live Aid finale was well done and I think Rami Malek did the best he could and comes across as a humble down to earth guy but I didn't think it was an Oscar worthy performance I've passed on buying this which I never thought I would I really wanted to love it but I can't and the rumours of a sequel to me is a bad Idea but money talks.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Rami Malek performace is fantastic and is why he won the bafta and Oscar award for best actor

I watched live aid in 1985 from start to finish and have the original 4 disc live aid DVD release and the film Bohemian Rhapsody recreates this exceptionally well.

Watch the extra The Complete Live Aid Movie Performance on the Blu-ray it's the full queen performance of live aid not shown in the cinemas

The film is a good film to watch even if you not a fan of queen music

Queen 1985 live aid is considered the best live performance and was the best act on the day of live aid especially for those that watched it live in 1985

A lot of members from HDN was likely not even born or was to young to remember live aid in 1985

It was 34 years ago and was an amazing day of music

It's twelve noon in London, seven AM in Philadelphia, and around the world it's time for Live Aid.
A day of pure pleasure covering a wide range of music styles

For those that missed live aid back in 1985
The official Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUAVzSGkkTa-IoMx_x1XK4Q

Live Aid was only a snippet of what they were like live they did many shows that wiped the floor with the live aid performance. The Beatles in their early days went to Hamburg and did gigs playing to hardly anyone but honed their live act so when they came back to Liverpool and played the Cavern they were so tight as a band and so good they blew everyone away. Queen did the same thing when Freddie joined and they changed from Smile to Queen they rehearsed and rehearsed behind closed doors until they had perfected the live show so when audiences saw them live for the first time with Freddie they were blown away. Hyde Park, Houston '77 all amazing gigs. Live Aid is the one people remember because it was such an iconic event & for many people the first time they had seen Queen live. Believe me they were much much more than that live aid show.

Live Aid was only a snippet of what they were like live they did many shows that wiped the floor with the live aid performance. The Beatles in their early days went to Hamburg and did gigs playing to hardly anyone but honed their live act so when they came back to Liverpool and played the Cavern they were so tight as a band and so good they blew everyone away. Queen did the same thing when Freddie joined and they changed from Smile to Queen they rehearsed and rehearsed behind closed doors until they had perfected the live show so when audiences saw them live for the first time with Freddie they were blown away. Hyde Park, Houston '77 all amazing gigs. Live Aid is the one people remember because it was such an iconic event & for many people the first time they had seen Queen live. Believe me they were much much more than that live aid show.
Yes queen had some brilliant live performances before live aid
Live aid though had a huge impact on queen as they then became more popular and got a lot of new fans as a result of live aid and more sales of their music than previously
Queen back catalogue suddenly took off again across the world after live aid

Live aid was seen by the biggest-ever TV audience of 1.9 billion at the time in 1985

99% of the rubbish Paul has just come out with over 2 posts has nothing to do with the film :rofl:

But then he speaks for everyone with his copy and paste Wikipedia statements. Lol

With things that were broadcast prior the 80s, it really don’t matter if you watched it televised back then or the recording now on YouTube. We’re seeing the same thing :LOL:

99% of the rubbish Paul has just come out with over 2 posts has nothing to do with the film :rofl:

But then he speaks for everyone with his copy and paste Wikipedia statements. Lol

With things that were broadcast prior the 80s, it really don’t matter if you watched it televised back then or the recording now on YouTube. We’re seeing the same thing :LOL:
There is a big difference seeing something live on the day and watching years later on youtube or even on DVD/Blu-ray

The experience on the day back in 1985 watching live , you would have to been watching on that day on TV or at the concert to understand

Noting I have posted in this thread has come from Wikipedia just to let you know :p:D

Live aid is major part of the film and is why it starts and ends with live aid

There is a big difference seeing something live on the day and watching years later on youtube or even on DVD/Blu-ray

The experience on the day back in 1985 watching live , you would have to been watching on that day on TV or at the concert to understand

Noting I have posted in this thread has come from Wikipedia just to let you know :p:D

Live aid is major part of the film and is why it starts and ends with live aid

We are talking about the film, choice of actor and the changes made to the bands origin and history.

Constructive criticism. Then you are banging on about how live aid was amazing and loved by everyone around the world. What are you on about? What’s that got to do with the film?

Defending live aid like a strange child when we are discussing a biopic made in 2018 about a band and where they went wrong

Honestly. Why did you even start going into live aid. Strange

We are talking about the film, choice of actor and the changes made to the bands origin and history.

Constructive criticism. Then you are banging on about how live aid was amazing and loved by everyone around the world. What are you on about? What’s that got to do with the film?

Defending live aid like a strange child when we are discussing a biopic made in 2018 about a band and where they went wrong

Honestly. Why did you even start going into live aid. Strange
Have you seen the film from start to finish ????
Why do you think live aid is covered in the film at the start and at the end and the whole queen live aid performance is shown as an extra on the blu-ray

Live aid had a huge impact queen and how it affected them and is why the film starts and ends with live aid on purpose
The film is about freddie mercury and covers joining the band and his impact on the band and about him personally during his time with queen with the film ending on the live aid performance

Read this Brian May interview about the film
https://www.loudersound.com/features/brian-may-interview-how-queens-bohemian-rhapsody-movie-was-made

Have you seen the film from start to finish ????
Why do you think live aid is covered in the film at the start and at the end and the whole queen live aid performance is shown as an extra on the blu-ray

Live aid had a huge impact queen and how it affected them and is why the film starts and ends with live aid on purpose
The film is about freddie mercury and covers joining the band and his impact on the band and about him personally during his time with queen with the film ending on the live aid performance

Read this Brian May interview about the film
https://www.loudersound.com/features/brian-may-interview-how-queens-bohemian-rhapsody-movie-was-made

Again. Not talking about that. Apart from a incorrect moment where he tells the band he has aids before live aid when in reality that never happened

Do you read your own posts? Seriously what are you on about

Reactions: Travis Bickle
Ironically Live Aid was one of the few things they got right but there were far too many factual errors which ultimately spoilt the film for me.Ultimately Brian May & Roger Taylor achieved what they set out to do a mass appeal movie, Box office records, and several Oscars.
Music biopics are not easy to pull off I remember watching The Oliver Stone movie 'The Doors' With Val Kilmer which was well received but the remaining members of the Doors hated it as apparently they didn't like the fact that Jim Morrison was portrayed as not a nice person.

Last edited:
Again. Not talking about that. Apart from a incorrect moment where he tells the band he has aids before live aid when in reality that never happened

Do you read your own posts? Seriously what are you on about
A lot of films take creative license about a person life that happened or did not happen sometimes yes it's wrong to do this but it's about creating performance on screen

Just enjoy the film and not looking for that did not happen that way etc it's not a documentary about factual events
It's a film like most which are mix of fiction and non fiction

A lot of films take creative license about a person life that happened or did not happen sometimes yes it's wrong to do this but it's about creating performance on screen

Just enjoy the film and not looking for that did not happen that way etc it's not a documentary about factual events
It's a film like most which are mix of fiction and non fiction

Please don’t tell me how to watch a film.

If I’m not happy with the lies or with the actor that played the main character then I won’t enjoy the film. What the **** are you on man

Please don’t tell me how to watch a film.

If I’m not happy with the lies or with the actor that played the main character then I won’t enjoy the film. What the **** are you on man
Have you not you enjoyed any film that uses creative license in telling a story be it based on factual events

I just hope they don't do a sequel because I can't see where they are going to go with the story if they do it's a money grab.The same with The Greatest Showman leave it as it is.
Possible sequel mentioned by roger taylor at the moment might be based on the band's 1986 Queen Live Magic tour but it's too early to say what story they will go with if it's 100% happening as sequels goto through loads of drafts before they decide and sometimes just don't get off the ground for various reasons or take years to happen and interest by then drops off

I've never bothered to watch Live Aid and, despite being a fan of their music, I honestly don't know a whole lot about Queen or Freddie, so thankfully I was able to watch the film without being aware of any inaccuracies and just enjoy it. Personally I found it to be very decent and thought Malek did an amazing job! My only major complaint was some of the editing, which was so jarring at times that it almost gave me a headache... the fact it then went on to win an Oscar for it genuinely shocked me lol.

This guy talks about it in detail...

Reactions: paulboland