'Brick and Mortar' store reminiscing thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
For the sake of competition and a healthy market place-lets hope consumers who wish to not only catch bargains, but have choices, continue to have options for their entertainment buying in the future.

As the sad reality of the shuttering of numerous physical media and entertainment stores continues, due to a variety of factors, what are your favorite memories as a child, or an adult of browsing your favorite stores?

People would curse these stores putting local record shops out of business when they first opened.

I personally found most HMV staff were very unhelpful. Much like the spotty nose brat in the simpsons, they knew nothing of steelbooks and when I returned a damaged item, they just wrapped it up and put it back on the shelf at full cost!

Why they aren't accepting vouchers is beyond me, surely they're losing their jobs in a couple of days anyway and they could really stick it to the company that way. They're just setting themselves up for a slanging match.

Whatever next?

People would curse these stores putting local record shops out of business when they first opened.

I personally found most HMV staff were very unhelpful. Much like the spotty nose brat in the simpsons, they knew nothing of steelbooks and when I returned a damaged item, they just wrapped it up and put it back on the shelf at full cost!

Why they aren't accepting vouchers is beyond me, surely they're losing their jobs in a couple of days anyway and they could really stick it to the company that way. They're just setting themselves up for a slanging match.

Whatever next?

I feel we should be somewhat more sympathetic to the HMV staff who have done nothing really to deserve their predicament. And remember that there will probably be a few members on here in the employment of HMV who are affected by all this.

Yes, many of them may lose their jobs shortly if things don't go to plan. But they aren't going to do anything which could jeopardize what could potentially be the last pay packet they receive for a bit. Especially if they have had strict instructions from the administrators or their managers. No doubt they have just as many bills to pay as the rest of us so let's just be patient and see what happens.

You never know - next week they may start taking vouchers again.

Last edited:
Bit like a Tesco clubcard so £1 = 1 point. But they often did promotions where you bought a certain product and got double/triple points.

At one point I had over £50!!! in points that bought me lots of goodies :)

Reactions: ricster