Casablanca - 80th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Ultimate Collector's Edition) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 7, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £39.99

91qEOzsmO0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Casablanca Front.jpg Casablanca Back.jpg Casablanca Open.jpg Casablanca Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: djjez83 and GenPion
FYI- This already had a steelbook
View attachment 536020
Yeah dude. This steel brings me an abundance of sorrows.

This beauty, like Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Maltese Falcon, was being sold in steel by Zavvi for some time. It was the infancy of my steelbook collecting and I didn't pull the trigger initially because it was only Region B and I live in a Region A zone. I thought quite strongly of just grabbing both anyway because the art was freakin' killer, but I thought I should be more sensible with my dollar and, because I couldn't play them, I passed.

Low and behold a couple years later my wife shocks me with an all region Sony one Christmas! I immediately went to zavvi and to my great steely infant sorrow they were all gone. Squeezed my butt cheeks and checked ebay and my sorrows only grew. Damn..why didn't I just pull the trigger!!!

So now here we are. Casablanca being dangled in front of me once again. I highly doubt they will reuse the art I loved from the initial release. I'm kind of resigned to the reality that the world wants to crush my spirits thru steelbook releases. Thankfully, I've been married over 30 years so I don't have much spirit left.

Of course, there is the overboard appeasement of sorrows I got thru where I throw caution to the wind and just start grabbing whatever I want to make myself feel better. And hey....it kinda works!!!

Let's hope for the best, prepare for worst, and know whatever the outcome, it's not the end of the world. Not even the end of steelbooks. Just the end of hope for WB.

Reactions: C.C. 95

This beauty, like Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Maltese Falcon, was being sold in steel by Zavvi for some time. It was the infancy of my steelbook collecting and I didn't pull the trigger initially because it was only Region B and I live in a Region A zone. I thought quite strongly of just grabbing both anyway because the art was freakin' killer, but I thought I should be more sensible with my dollar and, because I couldn't play them, I passed.

Low and behold a couple years later my wife shocks me with an all region Sony one Christmas! I immediately went to zavvi and to my great steely infant sorrow they were all gone. Squeezed my butt cheeks and checked ebay and my sorrows only grew. Damn..why didn't I just pull the trigger!!!

So now here we are. Casablanca being dangled in front of me once again. I highly doubt they will reuse the art I loved from the initial release. I'm kind of resigned to the reality that the world wants to crush my spirits thru steelbook releases. Thankfully, I've been married over 30 years so I don't have much spirit left.

Of course, there is the overboard appeasement of sorrows I got thru where I throw caution to the wind and just start grabbing whatever I want to make myself feel better. And hey....it kinda works!!!

Let's hope for the best, prepare for worst, and know whatever the outcome, it's not the end of the world. Not even the end of steelbooks. Just the end of hope for WB.
Do you mean a Sony multi region Blu-ray player your got from your wife

All three films you mentioned are Warner releases

Are you not aware warner films Blu-ray discs releases are always region free

The only exception a warner Blu-ray was region locked has been independent films that was not warner productions but just distributed by Warner

It's some of DVD discs that are Region locked in regards to Warner

Reactions: jaws finatic
Do you mean a Sony multi region Blu-ray player

All three films you mentioned are Warner releases

Warner Blu-ray discs releases are always region free when it's a Warner produced film

It's DVD discs that are Region locked in regards to Warner
Yes, a Sony Multi Region. At the time I did not know Warner was all region. There's been a few times things have said they were region locked but they werent. For transparency I'll add I went to zavvi to pull up those steels. Even though they're sold out they still have the info. To my amazement they do say 'free' under region. I can only assume I'm confusing them with something else, or once they were alerted they had the region wrong they changed it.

But knowing Warner is ALWAYS region free does make it easy.

Yes, a Sony Multi Region. At the time I did not know Warner was all region. There's been a few times things have said they were region locked but they werent. For transparency I'll add I went to zavvi to pull up those steels. Even though they're sold out they still have the info. To my amazement they do say 'free' under region. I can only assume I'm confusing them with something else, or once they were alerted they had the region wrong they changed it.

But knowing Warner is ALWAYS region free does make it easy.
The only exception in regards to Warner Blu-ray discs that was region locked was independent films produced by other companies but home media was warner and mostly happened with some French films

A warner produced film released on Blu-ray is always Region Free

Reactions: jaws finatic
Well those were Sony releases and Ten Commandments was Paramount.

Warner has their own way of ruining steelbooks by releasing them in waves with matching artworks.
I've been a graphic designer for 40 years and I couldn't design as badly as that if I was pissed out of my skull....

• Haha
Reactions: C.C. 95

I feel ya brother! The multiregion player changes the whole game (in a GREAT way). We all have the 20/20 hindsight for passing on certain items.
my motto: There is NOTHING thas is not gettable. You just have to have patience and keep your eyes open.
I remember that at the time, I made a specific point of grabbing all the classic films that were released on steelbook - because I felt that it was kind of a goldilocks moment that I needed to jump on (classic movies on steel? How long can THIS last?!).
You never know- maybe all those titles will be rereleased on steelbook for 4K editions. But, if you want the old ones, just be patient and diligent and you'll get 'em.:thumbs:
*sent you an interesting P.M.

not even plan on Zavvi please ?
Details who will be selling has not been confirmed yet

As I previously posted in this thread and many other threads a lot of Amazon UK listings that had not gone live yet ended up been a exclusive with Zavvi or HMV

If it ends up as a trade wide release is will be available from all UK retailers

Need to feel/hear the plane flying overhead at the end!:LOL:
it would be ridiculous to hear an atmos remix of a Mono movie!
I know this sounds like sacrilege, but they could isolate the voices and recut the sound of the entire film. Then they could do whatever they want with the sound effects. Naturally they should stay as close as possible to the original intent, but having the plane fly over would be cool.

Reactions: RMA and Gadget
I know this sounds like sacrilege, but they could isolate the voices and recut the sound of the entire film. Then they could do whatever they want with the sound effects. Naturally they should stay as close as possible to the original intent, but having the plane fly over would be cool.
Sure.
they could also colorized it and add CGI, too.
maybe a cgi monkey sidekick for Rick?!:hilarious: