UK
Release date: November 4 November 18, 2019
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes exclusive booklet

81ZLBLWfy1L._SL1500_.jpg

71c142Q0pHL._SL1191_.jpg 710GIuPjzoL._SL1191_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt mind but wasn't this a UK production too (Sky Atlantic)?
It was a joint HBO USA/Sky UK production from production companies (Sister Pictures/The Mighty Mint/Word Games)

TV Broadcast
UK Sky Atlantic (SD/HD/UHD) (Sky Atlantic in UK is used to broadcast HBO productions)
USA HBO Channel

Home media distribution in UK is Acorn Media they mostly do DVD releases and a few Blu-ray releases
Initially acorn media was only going to be doing a DVD release until they saw the amount of requests for a Blu-ray release on twitter
UK the Blu-ray is 1080i/50 they likely just did an upscale of the DVD.

USA home media distribution is from HBO

Sky would not been involved in the DVD/Blu-ray release in UK as they are only a TV broadcast service

If you have Sky Q 2TB Box and Subscription with Sky Box Sets and Sky Multiscreen you can download UHD version of Chernobyl to the Sky Q 2TB Box

It was a joint HBO USA/Sky UK production from production companies (Sister Pictures/The Mighty Mint/Word Games)

TV Broadcast
UK Sky Atlantic (SD/HD/UHD) (Sky Atlantic in UK is used to broadcast HBO productions)
USA HBO Channel

Home media distribution in UK is Acorn Media they mostly do DVD releases and a few Blu-ray releases
Initially acorn media was only going to be doing a DVD release until they saw the amount of requests for a Blu-ray release on twitter
UK the Blu-ray is 1080i/50 they likely just did an upscale of the DVD.

USA home media distribution is from HBO

Sky would not been involved in the DVD/Blu-ray release in UK as they are only a TV broadcast service

If you have Sky Q 2TB Box and Subscription with Sky Box Sets and Sky Multiscreen you can download UHD version of Chernobyl to the Sky Q 2TB Box
Well my point was both companies are based in the UK (Acorn and Sky)

Surely they could have got the proper HD transfer from Sky?

The rest of the world managed it.....

We'lll blame Brexit!!!!! :p

• Haha
Reactions: Space Cadet
The best TV drama of the year imo, over the moon this is getting a steelbook. :)

Might be worth waiting for reviews of UK release before shelling out again for replacement 24fps discs.

Just because the UK discs are 1080i 25fps doesn't necessarily mean their inferior, it all depends at what frame rate it was originally shot at.

The US release was always going to be 24fps because most blu-ray players aren't equipped to play 25fps discs.

The reviews of Dekalog (The Criterion Collection US 24fps) and Dekalog (Arrow UK 24fps) over at the other forum is a perfect example.

The picture quality of both was deemed to be very good but only Arrow's release was playing at the correct speed due to Criterion having to adjust the frame rate for compatibility in US.

All that been said I hazard a guess that most wouldn't be able to tell the difference and any blu-ray release will superior to SKY/HBO satellite/streaming service

Well my point was both companies are based in the UK (Acorn and Sky)

Surely they could have got the proper HD transfer from Sky?

The rest of Europe managed it.....
Blu-ray/DVD release nothing to do with Sky or their broadcast versions they have.

Acorn Media got the distribution rights in UK for Home Media and initially was only going to be doing a DVD release
Blu-ray release was a last min change only after amount of requests they got on twitter and they most likely just used the DVD transfer to upscale for the Blu-ray release.
Acorn Media mostly do DVD releases of TV programmes and less so when it comes to Blu-ray releases
Most of Acorn Media UK Blu-ray releases of TV programmes is 1080/50i

Home Media distribution different to TV Broadcast Services
The home media distributor does the encoding for a DVD or Blu-ray release

It would have been better if a different UK distributor had of got the home media rights as Acorn Media mostly used to doing DVD releases.

Other Countries are different distributors and has nothing to do with Acorn Media release in terms of transfer and encoding

All that been said I hazard a guess that most wouldn't be able to tell the difference and any blu-ray release will superior to SKY/HBO satellite/streaming service
Those that watched on Sky UK in UHD might say different :rofl:
It was broadcast in SD/HD/UHD in UK on Sky
HD and UHD versions available to download to Sky Q 2TB BOX for those that missed the live broadcast on Sky

Sky Q 2TB has video settings 576p/720p/1080i/1080p for standard SD or HD broadcasts
If you have a 4K TV
The Sky Q 2TB Box has UHD video setting 2160p

Older Sky HD+ Boxes max video setting is 1080i so is inferior to Sky Q

Acorn Media mostly use 1080/50i format with their Blu-ray releases of TV programmes
They used to doing DVD releases more so than Blu-ray.

I'd notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i

You wouldn't if it was a fully progressive image inside a 1080i container as per my Dekalog example.

Also if the source material was shot at 1080i then it would be the most faithful representation. Just means your TV/projector has to convert the image to 1080p instead of it been done when mastered to disk.

You wouldn't if it was a fully progressive image inside a 1080i container as per my Dekalog example.

Also if the source material was shot at 1080i then it would be the most faithful representation. Just means your TV/projector has to convert the image to 1080p instead of it been done when mastered to disk.

Yep I've used sky on demand think total download usually amounts to about 6-7GB per hour for HD if memory serves me correctly, many blu-rays range from 15-30GB

Not much difference then.:rofl::thanks:

Sky UK broadcast UHD version
I gather you don't have Sky Q 2TB Box
You can also download UHD version to Sky Q 2TB Box

Chernobyl TV Series source material was not shot at 1080i

Chernobyl Camera Specs
CameraArri Alexa Mini
Cinematographic ProcessArri RAW (3.2K) (source format) Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format)
You won't see Acorn Media do 4K release but could be possible for another distributor as Chernobyl has a 4K film master

The best TV drama of the year imo, over the moon this is getting a steelbook. :)

Might be worth waiting for reviews of UK release before shelling out again for replacement 24fps discs.

Just because the UK discs are 1080i 25fps doesn't necessarily mean their inferior, it all depends at what frame rate it was originally shot at.

The US release was always going to be 24fps because most blu-ray players aren't equipped to play 25fps discs.

The reviews of Dekalog (The Criterion Collection US 24fps) and Dekalog (Arrow UK 24fps) over at the other forum is a perfect example.

The picture quality of both was deemed to be very good but only Arrow's release was playing at the correct speed due to Criterion having to adjust the frame rate for compatibility in US.

There is already lot's reviews of the UK Acorn Media Blu-ray disc and it's inferior to USA HBO Blu-ray

UK Blu-ray was released on July 29th 2019 and has had lots of reviews already done
You can see the UK disc reviews on the usual review websites

Some reviewers already have the USA HBO Blu-ray Disc and done a comparison between UK and USA Blu-ray

UK/USA Blu-ray Comparison Review

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Space Cadet
There is already lot's reviews of the UK Acorn Media Blu-ray disc and it's inferior to USA HBO Blu-ray

UK Blu-ray was released on July 29th 2019 and has had lots of reviews already done
You can see the UK disc reviews on the usual review websites

Some reviewers already have the USA HBO Blu-ray Disc and done a comparison between UK and USA Blu-ray

UK/USA Blu-ray Comparison Review
I must admit, there's very, very little between those comparison shots.

I must admit, there's very, very little between those comparison shots.
One of the images the reviewer uploaded was an error it's UK image in both (Same filename)
The nurse image

BD web form discussed that review and the error of same image

Open each image in it's own tab (exclude the nurse image) and then click each image again to get full size
Move horizontal tab to left and vertical tap to the top on both UK and USA images so both the same

You will then notice the UK Blu-ray is horizontally stretched compared to USA Blu-ray

its great, but it is over rated. I mean, for starters, all the workers at the plant speak English. automatically I deduct 25 points. its hardly authentic.

there was also a Korean film called pandora (from 2016) and Chernobyl is very similar. of course they are both inspired by similar events, but it was all very familiar. to say something is the best tv production ever is a big statement. I'm not sure it lives up to it.