Cloverfield (15th Anniversary) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 16, 2023
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on November 24, at 9 AM for Red Carpet, at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £32.99

cloverfield_3-1024x525.jpg

Last edited:
I still collect, but absolutely cannot justify buying every film released, just because it’s on steelbook. There are that many out there now its not even a special way to own a film now, which goes against why I started collecting in the first instance.
I've wished back in 2000s that every movie be released in a digibook or steelbook.
You don't need to buy every film released, just every film you like, and if all of them are available in special packaging, that's great I say!

I've wished back in 2000s that every movie be released in a digibook or steelbook.
You don't need to buy every film released, just every film you like, and if all of them are available in special packaging, that's great I say!
I mean even restricting to just every movie I like I am still drastically under funded to support this stupid hobby...? Obsession? I just limit my self to what I enjoy and can afford, every so often I might have excess money not allocated to pre orders like the other day and I decided to take advantage to zavvis 2 for £24 4ks.

Glad people are starting to see the complete saturation of the steelbook market now and the frankly absurd prices being charged and wising up to it all.

Dunno, a lot of us have noticed this a while back but there are still a lot who pre order everything and pay the full price. That blows my mind on these kinds of releases that won’t sell out and are hugely overpriced. And one of those people even liked this post lol

They even don’t like the art most the time or don’t care what the art is and just want the upgrade to 4K and still buy the steelbook. Mental

I still collect, but absolutely cannot justify buying every film released, just because it’s on steelbook. There are that many out there now its not even a special way to own a film now, which goes against why I started collecting in the first instance.

Makes FAR more sense IMO to buy standard blu ray versions of the films that you can get for a fraction of the price of steelbooks, and only buy steelbooks of ‘special’ films, or films as part of a series.
As a movie lover, the idea of owning a steelbook for a film is a way of showing my love for the movies, but it’s insane to expect anyone to buy steelbooks for every movie under the sun, for crazy prices.

Reactions: Andycadle84
Dunno, a lot of us have noticed this a while back but there are still a lot who pre order everything and pay the full price. That blows my mind on these kinds of releases that won’t sell out and are hugely overpriced. And one of those people even liked this post lol

They even don’t like the art most the time or don’t care what the art is and just want the upgrade to 4K and still buy the steelbook. Mental
I think I feel personally attacked lol. Unless that wasn't aimed at me. I mean I only spend about £120 a month of pre orders for the most part. And I always like the art on the ones I order.

I mean even restricting to just every movie I like I am still drastically under funded to support this stupid hobby...? Obsession? I just limit my self to what I enjoy and can afford, every so often I might have excess money not allocated to pre orders like the other day and I decided to take advantage to zavvis 2 for £24 4ks.
Yeah, it's still a lot, especially when one buys not just the very favorites, but most stuff he watched and didn't hate.
Thus there's a division within the purchases, the 'library' releases that replace a pirate copy off an HDD can be, and often is, the cheapest possible edition bought months or years after release for $5-10.
I'm just saying it's better if there's a choice, although that does bring some extraneous expenses. Some films I probably shouldn't have overpaid just to get a mediabook or steelbook, but I liked the art...

One good thing for me is I don't care about '4k', rather don't like it, so am not swayed by those sales.

Yeah, it's still a lot, especially when one buys not just the very favorites, but most stuff he watched and didn't hate.
Thus there's a division within the purchases, the 'library' releases that replace a pirate copy off an HDD can be, and often is, the cheapest possible edition bought months or years after release for $5-10.
I'm just saying it's better if there's a choice, although that does bring some extraneous expenses. Some films I probably shouldn't have overpaid just to get a mediabook or steelbook, but I liked the art...

One good thing for me is I don't care about '4k', rather don't like it, so am not swayed by those sales.
What don't you like about 4k? I find it looks absolutely amazing. But as for buying things for the sake of buying them. I only fairly recently started double and triple dipping. Sometimes I do wonder like do I need to spend so much on movies I own. But I guess that's the difference between just being a movie collector and a physical media collector. I mean why else have I pre ordered all the new MCU Mondos, cos I sure as hell don't actually need them lol.

What don't you like about 4k? I find it looks absolutely amazing.
I already talked about it, probably annoying some people saying it again, but:
I like the higher resolution without a doubt, and on bigger screens it actually would be preferable, but it's spoiled by HDR and 'cinematic' color grading.
Recently compared head to head a BD and UHD of Out of Sight, and to make UHD look as good, as BD, had to raise brightness, contrast to 100%, color and some other settings, and turn on contrast enhancer to high, while turning all of those down on BD to match the murkiness. And if I turn just the contrast enhancer for BD, it goes beyond anything UHD can reach.
You probably have some sort of cinema or theater preset profile on your TV, try it. That's how UHD looks to me in comparison to properly calibrated BDs and DVD playback. I don't like how dull movies look in actual theaters either, which I haven't visited for over 15 years, going back only a couple of years ago. So maybe I'm used to how 'wrong' DVDs and BDs look, I don't care. At least pirates still provide 2160p files without DV or HDR which I download.

I already talked about it, probably annoying some people saying it again, but:
I like the higher resolution without a doubt, and on bigger screens it actually would be preferable, but it's spoiled by HDR and 'cinematic' color grading.
Recently compared head to head a BD and UHD of Out of Sight, and to make UHD look as good, as BD, had to raise brightness, contrast to 100%, color and some other settings, and turn on contrast enhancer to high, while turning all of those down on BD to match the murkiness. And if I turn just the contrast enhancer for BD, it goes beyond anything UHD can reach.
You probably have some sort of cinema or theater preset profile on your TV, try it. That's how UHD looks to me in comparison to properly calibrated BDs and DVD playback. I don't like how dull movies look in actual theaters either, which I haven't visited for over 15 years, going back only a couple of years ago. So maybe I'm used to how 'wrong' DVDs and BDs look, I don't care. At least pirates still provide 2160p files without DV or HDR which I download.

Out Of Sight - now there's a movie that needs a premium release. Include the soundtrack cd too :drool:

Aye; it’s crazy.
What it boils down to is people paying a premium for a product which, dare I say it, very often doesn’t justify the price tag.

I mean, we get lazy artworks (often leaving the amaray case as the better artwork choice), and cheap, lazy finishes. And still people buy the product, even after moaning about how much they dislike it…

The steelbook market has become saturated now to the point where any and every old movie gets released and then there are, as you say, people who don’t even appreciate the product they’ve brought and leave it sealed on a shelf.

Each to their own and all that, but I’ve never got the people that buy either full slips and don’t open them (thus essentailly paying good money for a cardboard sleeve on a shelf for all purposes) or one clicks - how many editions of the same movie do people need? Think the hobby really feeds into FOMO. That, and the need to show off all the sealed films you have. It’s a great community here, but there is an element of one-upping each other and showmanship at hand quite often.

I mean, there are worse things to spend money on, I’m sure and we all have our vices but it’s insanity in my humble opinion. Please don’t take it personally people!

Reactions: Flloydo
Aye; it’s crazy.
What it boils down to is people paying a premium for a product which, dare I say it, very often doesn’t justify the price tag.

I mean, we get lazy artworks (often leaving the amaray case as the better artwork choice), and cheap, lazy finishes. And still people buy the product, even after moaning about how much they dislike it…
In the early days I was a sucker for buying stuff I shouldn’t of. And I still moan if the finish is w@nk but I go for artworks now. And although I’ve added to what you said, I have bought films I’m not a fan of because the art is incredible
The steelbook market has become saturated now to the point where any and every old movie gets released and then there are, as you say, people who don’t even appreciate the product they’ve brought and leave it sealed on a shelf.
I’m so bored of seeing the same films like Rambo, Rocky, back to the future, blade runner, the thing, MCU etc etc etc get their 10th steel in 5 years with in most cases the art getting worse but the price getting higher or a re release where the original is gloss and embossed and the new version is flat, matte and £10+ more. It’s just stupid now

At least these releases are getting cool art and PET slips. All those lionsgate Best Buy Illustrated etc. These kinds of releases are the saving graces in standard steels now
Each to their own and all that, but I’ve never got the people that buy either full slips and don’t open them (thus essentailly paying good money for a cardboard sleeve on a shelf for all purposes) or one clicks - how many editions of the same movie do people need? Think the hobby really feeds into FOMO. That, and the need to show off all the sealed films you have. It’s a great community here, but there is an element of one-upping each other and showmanship at hand quite often.

I mean, there are worse things to spend money on, I’m sure and we all have our vices but it’s insanity in my humble opinion. Please don’t take it personally people!
There are worse things that’s true. And I agree each to their own (but some people’s habits and buying blows my mind - but then there’s people out there who will think that about me tbh - especially my mates who actually see it all. I’m constantly being questioned with the most frequent word “why?”

Reactions: JinxyKatte
In the early days I was a sucker for buying stuff I shouldn’t of. And I still moan if the finish is w@nk but I go for artworks now. And although I’ve added to what you said, I have bought films I’m not a fan of because the art is incredible

I’m so bored of seeing the same films like Rambo, Rocky, back to the future, blade runner, the thing, MCU etc etc etc get their 10th steel in 5 years with in most cases the art getting worse but the price getting higher or a re release where the original is gloss and embossed and the new version is flat, matte and £10+ more. It’s just stupid now

At least these releases are getting cool art and PET slips. All those lionsgate Best Buy Illustrated etc. These kinds of releases are the saving graces in standard steels now

There are worse things that’s true. And I agree each to their own (but some people’s habits and buying blows my mind - but then there’s people out there who will think that about me tbh - especially my mates who actually see it all. I’m constantly being questioned with the most frequent word “why?”
I mean everyone has their own idea of what is good, what is good art, what movies are worth forking out money for. I don't think we should judge each other for their own choices when it comes to collecting. I mean I know people who will buy every amaray release of new movies, including the 4k, and standard bluray just for the different slips and then the steelbook on top and I can't help but think if I had the money to do that, I would just buy way more premiums. But it's their money and not my collection so whatever.

Mine just arrived. I also just did an Instagram post so don't plan on posting photos until a few hours. I can post a few photos here if people ask. I have shot my video though so I'm gonna edit that now and get it up asap.