Columbia Classics Collection Volume 1 (4K + Blu-ray Limited Edition Box Set) [UK]

Feb 29, 2020
England
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £119.99 (Amazon - Zoom - HMV) - £124.99 (Zavvi)
Note: Includes 6 Films: Mr. Smith goes to Washington - Lawrence of Arabia - Dr. Strangelove - Gandhi - A League of their own - Jerry Maguire, and an exclusive 80-page book

41jWIQGtI4L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if that'll happen, but I'm hoping after this they'll start doing some of Haroly Llyods films. We pretty much only have DVDs for him in the UK.
Set has "Volume 1" on it, so I'd imagine they're planning to do more... unless you were referring to a full set, in which case I agree.

Only HL film I've seen is Speedy thanks to the UK Criterion release, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I'd happily welcome more!

Reactions: MrSquifler
Set has "Volume 1" on it, so I'd imagine they're planning to do more... unless you were referring to a full set, in which case I agree.

Only HL film I've seen is Speedy thanks to the UK Criterion release, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I'd happily welcome more!
Ha.

I got confused and thought I was on the Buster Keaton Volume 3 thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
USA release is missing extras for Lawrence of Arabia

Info in USA Thread
Sony's Columbia Classics Collection six-film UHD box is a treasure, but as it's initially shipping to retailers and customers it's missing special features from the four-disc "Lawrence of Arabia" set. Sony is preparing to make it right.

Due to a manufacturing error, the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection currently includes an incorrect LAWRENCE OF ARABIA special features disc, which does not include the full amount of intended content. This does not affect the 4K UHD presentation of the film itself. The correct special features disc will be available to consumers who purchase the set, whether as a pre-order or as part of a future order, pending the eventual availability of sets that already have the correct disc included. Consumers should receive communication from their retailer about this corrected disc soon, but may contact the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Customer Care team with any questions at [email protected] or 1-800-860-2878.

I assume UK release will not be affected as I expect by then the replacement disc will be in included

Randomly just got dispatched.
Wasn’t even sure it had a set release date yet, so bit of a surprise.

Edit: both HMV & Zoom have a release date of August 3rd so I guess Amazon have shipped it early?

Reactions: paulboland
I canncelled my order last week with Amazon UK lucky I did :rofl:
I really only wanted 4K UHD edition of Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi

I expect a 4K UHD standalone releases will happen at some stage for those films

Box set still looks good but I have more releases coming that I need the funds for at the moment
August/October I have some expensive Box Sets on Pre Order they take priority over this release

So, just unboxed mine. The UK set seems to be a little different than what I've seen of the U.S. set, in that its just black amaray cases, no slipcovers over them. 4 normal size UK cases, 2 thinner American cases (for A League of Their Own & Mr Smith Goes To Washington.)

Its a really nice set but the lack of slipcovers with the uniform spines does take away a little from it, it looks a little less...premium or something.

Just looking at the product page on Amazon, its advertised there as having the slipcovers over the amaray. Even the back of the J-Card shows the open box with slipcovers, so I'm not sure what's going on, if its a mistake or something.

Can anyone confirm if UK version is the same as the USA one. Slipcovers on the Blu-Rays etc etc?
Someone who has it might be able to tell you better but i read and seen somewhere the uk edition never had slips like usa and not sure what else. But i could be wrong.

Reactions: Tompa