BANNED
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Release date: May 20, 2024
Purchase link: Amazon UK
Price: £99.99

91EDFTEys3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Falk stars as the cigar chomping, trench coat wearing, police lieutenant Columbo in the series that set the standard for the murder mystery genre.

This 20-disc Blu-ray set contains the first 7 seasons of this ground-breaking series, including the 2 original pilot TV movies, now restored and remastered by NBC Universal in 4K.

Enjoy once again this classic series that won a staggering 13 primetime Emmys®

• Informative
Reactions: Billy Talent
strange that old my dvd 'cigar box' collection of all the "Columbo" episodes ever is still the most complete collection in one box that i've seen.

university memory GIF

Yeah best option so far is this one with all complete eps and it's region free while KL is region locked.
Having said that I suspect the later seasons on volume 2 will be 4/3 because the Japanese set for the 1989 episodes onwards is 16/9 and I think his last one was the only true 16/9 episode.

Reactions: 5t33lb0y
Having said that I suspect the later seasons on volume 2 will be 4/3 because the Japanese set for the 1989 episodes onwards is 16/9 and I think his last one was the only true 16/9 episode.
No, they were filmed in Widescreen beginning from 1989, precisely from the 8th season, so all the last 3 so called seasons, all 24 remaining 'movisodes' in the second Boxset up to 2003 should be 1.78:1

No, they were filmed in Widescreen beginning from 1989, precisely from the 8th season, so all the last 3 so called seasons, all 24 remaining 'movisodes' in the second Boxset up to 2003 should be 1.78:1
I compared my 4/3 DVD of a later season Columbo to the widescreen blu-ray of the same episode, it's clear from that episode Trace of Murder comparing them the show was shot in 35mm. It may be re-formatted for 1:78:1 but you can see information missing on the 16/9 version. That tells me it's not native 1:78:1. I'm sure some of the last episodes were but it would have been very late in the day.

I compared my 4/3 DVD of a later season Columbo to the widescreen blu-ray of the same episode, it's clear from that episode Trace of Murder comparing them the show was shot in 35mm. It may be re-formatted for 1:78:1 but you can see information missing on the 16/9 version. That tells me it's not native 1:78:1. I'm sure some of the last episodes were but it would have been very late in the day.
Maybe Japanese releases are cropped, or maybe DVD has open matte versions, I'm not sure.

Right, but that depends on what OAR is. Would you watch Gladiator, Titanic, Lord of the Rings movies in 4:3 open matte?
No because they were shot in widescreen formats. A good example, they have now started to release classic Hammer films on two discs, one 4/3 (open matte) and 1:78:1. A good example is The Mummy... They were simply cropped for cinema because widescreen had become popular. There are genuine widescreen hammer films like Dracula: Prince of Darkness but they are few and far between. Shane is another example. It was actually shot and designed in 1:78:1 aspect ratio. Thats well documented so the planned 4/3 version was stopped as the fans made it clear they wanted the proper aspect ratio as intended. Columbo was shot and framed for 4/3. TV was at the time right up until the late 90's still 4/3. Europe started early in the early 90's with stuff like Sharpe which was shot on super 16mm but as a general rule, TV producers shot and thought in 4/3. They did not consider any other aspect ratio.