March 2023:
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Magnificent Obsession (1954)

February 2023:
Vivre Sa Vie (1962)
Imitation of Life (1934)

January 2023:
The Breakfast Club (1985)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
Classic movie label the Criterion Collection is to launch on Blu-ray in the U.K. on April 18 following a multi-year home entertainment distribution pact with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Until now Criterion has only been available in the U.S. and Canada.

SPHE will bring selected titles from Criterion’s extensive catalog and future new release slate to the U.K. for the first time. The first wave of films, featuring all the supplements from the U.S. editions along with their exclusive artwork and packaging, are “Grey Gardens,” “It Happened One Night,” Roman Polanski’s “Macbeth,” “Only Angels Have Wings,” “Speedy” and “Tootsie.”

Criterion Collection chief executive officer Jonathan Turell said: “We are excited to launch the Criterion Collection in the U.K. Starting with these six great titles, we are happy to be able to bring selections from Criterion to our very devoted audience in the U.K. We are thrilled to build upon our strong relationship with Sony and look forward to expanding the Criterion audience.”

“Criterion represents the very best of classic and contemporary filmmaking and we are delighted to bring this prestigious collection to the U.K. for the first time,” added Aodan Coburn, executive VP, international, SPHE. “This partnership demonstrates SPHE’s continued commitment to growing our distribution business.”

Source

Last edited:
The Irishman
Amazon UK sold out for now
Will be back available at some stage

UK release date is November 30th

Zavvi
£25.99

Zoom UK
£25.99

The Irishman

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital master, approved by director Martin Scorsese, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
  • Newly edited roundtable conversation among Scorsese and actors Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, originally recorded in 2019
  • New documentary about the making of the film featuring Scorsese; the lead actors; producers Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Jane Rosenthal, and Irwin Winkler; director of photography Rodrigo Prieto; and others from the cast and crew
  • New video essay written and narrated by film critic Farran Smith Nehme about The Irishman’s synthesis of Scorsese’s singular formal style
  • The Evolution of Digital De-aging, a 2019 programme on the visual effects created for the film
  • Archival interview excerpts with Frank “the Irishman” Sheeran and International Brotherhood of Teamsters trade union leader Jimmy Hoffa
  • Trailer and teaser
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

Daft question, possibly... Are UK Criterion packages digipack or just amaray?
Both are in the collection.
You can usually tell by the price difference. Couple of digipacks are Marriage Story, Mulholland Drive, Tree of Life, Dr Strangelove, Roma, ...
Irishman will most likely be a digipack as well.

Reactions: davhyl
Zavvi currently have The New Word listed at £19 rather than £26 like other retailers, so be quick before they correct it! Code FREEAC works for free delivery.

Last edited:
Daft question, possibly... Are UK Criterion packages digipack or just amaray?
If the US release of a particular film is a digipak, then chances are the UK release will be too... so The New World will most likely be a digi (price and spine on the mock-up are usually also a dead giveaway).

Reactions: davhyl
I notice I've still purchasing USA titles as very few of the "good ones" are coming out in the UK. Must be right's issues.
Same here, so many criterion titles in US not in the UK and I don't have a region free player to watch them - it's definitely rights, because many of the same titles are available through different publishers (if that's the word) for example Hausu has a criterion in the US but a EUREKA Masters of Cinema which are same quality wise apart from the special features. Same with Bfi and a few with Curzon iirc - still makes me tempted to pick up a region free player when I can, or even reburn the disc without the lock (expensive tho)

Reactions: Lollard2002
Yep, 100% a rights thing holding them back with releasing the majority of their catalogue over here... that and the BBFC being stricter, hence Criterion having to actually cancel a few planned UK releases.

Yep, 100% a rights thing holding them back with releasing the majority of their catalogue over here... that and the BBFC being stricter, hence Criterion having to actually cancel a few planned UK releases.
Oh really? That's really intersting, do you know why the BBFC rating would affect titles being released here? I wasn't aware of them doing a ton of censoring or banning that would upset this - I'm guessing it's the combo with rights that makes it tough?

Oh really? That's really intersting, do you know why the BBFC rating would affect titles being released here? I wasn't aware of them doing a ton of censoring or banning that would upset this - I'm guessing it's the combo with rights that makes it tough?
An example is War and Peace... they hoped to release that over here, but the BBFC wouldn't allow it unless they remove the horse tripping scene, which Criterion refused to do. Rights is definitely the main issue when it comes to releasing their catalogue to the UK market though.

An example is War and Peace... they hoped to release that over here, but the BBFC wouldn't allow it unless they remove the horse tripping scene, which Criterion refused to do. Rights is definitely the main issue when it comes to releasing their catalogue to the UK market though.
Interesting read that, seems one of actual law getting in the way then - shame, hopefully it's easy enough for them to find out if films will be allowed so they will still at least try, many titles I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a criterion uk! (or at least those with the rights getting their act together and releasing proper HD releases :p )

Reactions: Noodles
Interesting read that, seems one of actual law getting in the way then - shame, hopefully it's easy enough for them to find out if films will be allowed so they will still at least try, many titles I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a criterion uk! (or at least those with the rights getting their act together and releasing proper HD releases :p )
Yeah, it's unfortunate and probably a real PITA for them. But, I'm grateful that we're at least getting some Criterion releases over here... they're slowly but surely building a nice selection. :)

Reactions: RedFridge007
That was the film that caused me to buy a region-free player.

Reactions: Noodles