Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Eureka - Masters of Cinema) [UK]

Snollygoster

Creative | YouTube
Premium Supporter
Apr 13, 2012
Release date: January 16, 2017
Purchase links: Eureka - Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Zavvi) - £24.99 (Amazon - HMV) - £27.99 (Eureka)
Notes: Limited to 2000 copies

1.jpg

DAS CABINET DES DR CALIGARI, Robert Wiene’s sinister tale of psychosis and murder, set in a warped Gothic landscape, will be released in a 2-disc Blu-ray SteelBook edition featuring the 2014 documentary FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 16 January 2017.

One of the most iconic masterpieces in cinema history, Robert Wiene's Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari shook filmgoers worldwide and changed the direction of the art form. Now presented in a definitive restoration, the film's chilling, radically expressionist vision is set to grip viewers again.

At a local carnival in a small German town, hypnotist Dr. Caligari presents the somnambulist Cesare, who can purportedly predict the future of curious fairgoers. But at night, the doctor wakes Cesare from his sleep to enact his evil bidding...

Incalculably influential, the film's nightmarishly jagged sets, sinister atmospheric and psychological emphasis left an immediate impact in its wake (horror, film noir, and gothic cinema would all be shaped directly by it). But this diabolical tale nevertheless stands alone - now more mesmerising than ever in this Blu-ray SteelBook edition, along with a bonus Blu-ray disc containing the 2014 documentary From Caligari to Hitler, exploring the social and cultural impact of German Cinema during the Weimar Republic.

SteelBook Special Features:

New high-definition presentation, from the extensive FWMS restoration | Option of Stereo and 5.1 surround scores | Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles | FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses (STEELBOOK EXCLUSIVE) – A 2-hour documentary on German Cinema during the Weimar Republic (1918-1933) | New and exclusive audio commentary by film historian David Kalat | You Must Become Caligari - New video essay by film critic David Cairns | Caligari: The Birth of Horror in the First World War - 52 minute documentary on the cultural and historical impact of the film | On The Restoration - three short video pieces on the film's restoration | Trailer for the release of the new restoration on the film | 44-PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage writing on the film by Lotte H. Eisner; an original Variety review of the film; and rare archival imagery

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the MoC style on the steelbooks. Reduced the print run hugely which is fair enough because other than the 2nd run of Metropolis, Silent Running & Touch of Evil I don't think I paid over £10 for a single one and I think I have all of them except for Rumblefish (and the first Metropolis)

There wasn't a second run of Silent Running or Touch of Evil.
\Metropolis was an entirely different matter as most of the original print run was destroyed in a fire during the London Riots.

There wasn't a second run of Silent Running or Touch of Evil.
\Metropolis was an entirely different matter as most of the original print run was destroyed in a fire during the London Riots.

sorry, I meant just the 2nd version of Metropolis. I had no idea a load of the first version were victims to the riots though!

Does anyone know if this is region free? The listing on Amazon says Region B, but the listing on Zavvi says Region Free.
I'd be very (happily) surprised if it's region-free. Have any of the MoC discs been region-free? All the ones I can recall are Region B. Most likely we won't know for sure until someone receives a copy.

Does anyone know if this is region free? The listing on Amazon says Region B, but the listing on Zavvi says Region Free.
I believe Eureka's Blu-ray releases are always locked to region B (at least the couple of dozen that I have are region B releases).

Eureka's plastic case release of this film is region B; I can't see this steelbook release having anything else but exactly the same disc region coding.

Last edited:
I believe Eureka's Blu-ray releases are always locked to region B (at least the couple of dozen that I have are region B releases).

Eureka's plastic case release of this film is region B; I can't see this steelbook release having anything else but exactly the same disc.
It's not the same it has a new 2 hour extra that was not on the previous release but the main disc is most likey the same as before.

Bonus Blu-ray disc containing the 2014 documentary
  • From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses - A 2-hour documentary on German Cinema during the Weimar Republic (1918-1933)

• High-definition presentation, from the extensive FWMS restoration
  • Option of Stereo and 5.1 surround scores
  • Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
  • From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses - A 2-hour documentary on German Cinema during the Weimar Republic (1918-1933)
  • Exclusive audio commentary by film historian David Kalat
  • You Must Become Caligari - Video essay by film critic David Cairns
  • Caligari: The Birth of Horror in the First World War - 52 minute documentary on the cultural and historical impact of the film
  • On the Restoration - three short video pieces on the film's restoration
  • Trailer for the release of the new restoration of the film
  • 44-PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage writing on the film by Lotte H. Eisner; an original Variety review of the film; and rare archival imagery

Last edited:
I'd be very (happily) surprised if it's region-free. Have any of the MoC discs been region-free? All the ones I can recall are Region B. Most likely we won't know for sure until someone receives a copy.
Hey there, Eureka is a big supporter of region free releases. They only lock their releases when licensors demand it, and unfortunatelly, this means almost all their releases have to be locked. This is largely due to other distributors wanting to protect their market and inferior products. In Caligari's case the problem is Kino Lorber in the US. It goes back to 2010 when Metropolis was being prepared for Blu-ray releases. All the smaller labels, including Eureka, were fine with region free discs, until Kino came along and insisted everybody to lock their releases. Since Kino controls the rights for the US market, which is huge compared to everybody else, they have a lot of power convincing licensors to enforce this. Coincidentally, in the last few days the people of Kino Lorber have started claiming that region free releases are outright illegal... I'm not kidding.

Anyways, long story short: blame Kino Lorber for region-locked releases.

Wonder if its worth waitnig to see if it comes down to £6.99 at Zavvi - like they did with the Dr Mabuses and Island of lost souls steelbooks?

Wonder if its worth waitnig to see if it comes down to £6.99 at Zavvi - like they did with the Dr Mabuses and Island of lost souls steelbooks?
Metropolis probably will last for a while and drop in price, but I wouldn't wait on Caligari. I expect that one to sell pretty quickly.

Metropolis probably will last for a while and drop in price, but I wouldn't wait on Caligari. I expect that one to sell pretty quickly.
Aha, right, ok thanks. Haven't seen it but it's been on my hit list...........ever since i was a kid! And i put off buying the amary just in case there was a steelbook in the pipeline - and here it is! What was the print run of previous Eureka steelies, if anybody knows?

Aha, right, ok thanks. Haven't seen it but it's been on my hit list...........ever since i was a kid! And i put off buying the amary just in case there was a steelbook in the pipeline - and here it is! What was the print run of previous Eureka steelies, if anybody knows?

i would guess and estimate that the print run of their first steelbooks were definitely too high (i guess 10k, considering how many people have it in their collections, how many times they were on sale, and still not sold out).
some of the more recent ones were 4k i seem to remember from somewhere (metropolis 2nd edition for example).

this one though, only 2k. i would be very cautious with waiting for sales on these.
i waited for metropolis (2nd edition, 4k print run) to drop, then it sold out, and now i don't have it. ;)

Yes, beautiful steelbook - limited to 2,000 copies - will appeal to those who appreciate how good steelbooks can look when done right with none of the badly thought out and executed designs seen on some (not mentioning any titles but you know the ones).

Certainly not one for everyone but for the collector of interesting films and well designed steelbooks it's a "must have" (as are the vast majority of Eureka's steelbooks IMO) .

Not expecting to see a reduction in the quoted price during the lifetime of the product and even though this may not be up there in the stratosphere with the previous steelbook release from Eureka - METROPOLIS (1927) - a whole two years ago !! - and that one did take a while to sell out even with the promise of a GBP 4,000 Gold Bar . . . but of course that was a 4,000 print run (4,000/4,000 ;)).

Anyway, I'll be ordering this baby despite owning the Amaray release from a couple of years ago because . . .
(a) It's a great looking steelbook
(b) It has got the one major Extra not found in the Amaray release - the 118 mins documentary based on the 1947 book by Siegfried Kracauer with a slightly different title (see SPOILER).
This documentary FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER: GERMAN CINEMA IN THE AGE OF THE MASSES (2014) is an Extra which I'm not sure is available by itself on either DVD or BD although I hear it has been shown on Netflix and on TCM On Demand. EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3908344/combined :EDIT: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019YVJ8PI/?tag=hidefnin-21
(15 quid approx. for the DVD)

(c) It's one of those films that any true cinephile should view at least once . . . along with "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" (1933), "M" (1931), "The Blue Angel" (1930), "Pandora's Box" (1929), "Metropolis" (1927), "Faust" (1926) , "Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler" (1922) and of course "Nosferatu" (1922).

RE: FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER: A PSYCHOLOGICAL HISTORY OF THE GERMAN FILM - the book
A landmark, now classic, study of the rich cinematic history of the Weimar Republic, From Caligari to Hitler was first published by Princeton University Press in 1947. Siegfried Kracauer--a prominent German film critic and member of Walter Benjamin's and Theodor Adorno's intellectual circle--broke new ground in exploring the connections between film aesthetics, the prevailing psychological state of Germans in the Weimar era, and the evolving social and political reality of the time. Kracauer's pioneering book, which examines German history from 1921 to 1933 in light of such movies as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, M, Metropolis, and The Blue Angel, has never gone out of print. Now, over half a century after its first appearance, this beautifully designed and entirely new edition reintroduces Kracauer for the twenty-first century. Film scholar Leonardo Quaresima places Kracauer in context in a critical introduction, and updates the book further with a new bibliography, index, and list of inaccuracies that crept into the first edition. This volume is a must-have for the film historian, film theorist, or cinema enthusiast.In From Caligari to Hitler, Siegfried Kracauer--the German-born writer and film critic who shared many ideas and interests with his friend Walter Benjamin--made a startling (and still controversial) claim: films as a popular art provide insight into the unconscious motivations and fantasies of a nation. In films of the 1920s such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, M, Metropolis, and The Blue Angel, he traced recurring visual and narrative tropes that expressed, he argued, a fear of chaos and a desire for order, even at the price of authoritarian rule. The book has become an undisputed classic of film historiography, laying the foundations for the serious study of film.

In From Caligari to Hitler, Siegfried Kracauer made a startling (and still controversial) claim: films as a popular art provide insight into the unconscious motivations and fantasies of a nation. In films of the 1920s, he traced recurring visual and narrative tropes that expressed, he argued, a fear of chaos and a desire for order, even at the price of authoritarian rule. The book has become an undisputed classic of film historiography, laying the foundations for the serious study of film.

Kracauer was an important film critic in Weimar Germany. A Jew, he escaped the rise of Nazism, fleeing to Paris in 1933. Later, in anguish after Benjamin's suicide, he made his way to New York, where he remained until his death in 1966. He wrote From Caligari to Hitler while working as a "special assistant" to the curator of the Museum of Modern Art's film division. He was also on the editorial board of Bollingen Series. Despite many critiques of its attempt to link movies to historical outcomes, From Caligari to Hitler remains Kracauer's best-known and most influential book, and a seminal work in the study of film. Princeton published a revised edition of his Theory of Film: The Redemption of Physical Reality in 1997.

i would guess and estimate that the print run of their first steelbooks were definitely too high (i guess 10k, considering how many people have it in their collections, how many times they were on sale, and still not sold out).
some of the more recent ones were 4k i seem to remember from somewhere (metropolis 2nd edition for example).

this one though, only 2k. i would be very cautious with waiting for sales on these.
i waited for metropolis (2nd edition, 4k print run) to drop, then it sold out, and now i don't have it. ;)
Yeah, have to be very careful with the waiting game, it's a gamble - so i've stuck in a pre-order on this one. Hell, it's not like i'm double dipping or triple dipping ( which i HAVE done on occasion). And i think their steelbooks are really good! Thanks.