Doctor Who: The Series 13 Specials (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Stygian

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Canada
Release date: November 7, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £29.99 (Amazon - HMV) - £39.99 (Zavvi)

915n01TPS+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91ncDZB7PPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81AWnXQqUSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. It's annoying seeing a great potential steelbook or design let down by bad choices.
While the lack of consistency is annoying (replacement spines are available), I think the Whittaker logo works well on steelbooks.

I wouldn't have used it personally. I'd have used screen appropriate logos for the steelbooks, even the classic ones. Troughton's font on his, Eccleston/Tennant lozenge on theirs etc. Whittaker's logo on hers.

With 'The Collection', I'd have been torn between screen accurate logos, Hartnell, Baker, McCoy etc. or using the generally accepted Pertwee/McGann one from the front of the DVDs (not the one from the UK spines).

By-and-large, I prefer original fonts (or accepted fonts) when possible.

For Psycho, for example, I accept the cracked font on part 1, even though it didn't appear onscreen until '83 with Psycho II. It was used on original Psycho posters though.

The UK releases of Knight Rider have some new design. I believe the German Blu-ray set will use the original.

You get the point.

I mean in termes of spines there is such a thing as steelbook spines designed by a lovely lady on Esty .
il_fullxfull.3621850460_bjwb.jpg

They are made with magnets and you can have any combo you want either all 1 logo or all the different logos for each era.
iap_300x300.3383463193_jpxk9b6p.jpg
vytdfddw24t61.jpg

As shown here in a couple of review photos taken from her page and easily found by Google images. I've only ever designed one custom J card but I'm sure if I can do it on a phone then others can too. Still baffles me that this conversation is actually happening in a thread on a steelbook where both era and logo matches up but hey ho.

As for the collection I love the logo on the collection sets. I can't think of anything more ugly then if they did each set with different logos of the show. Keep it all as one logo across the range. Let's not make it look like that normal amary blu ray sets.
PhotoGrid_Site_1666011840930.jpg

Attachments

• vytdfddw24t61.jpg
    vytdfddw24t61.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 41
  • iap_300x300.3383463193_jpxk9b6p.jpg
    iap_300x300.3383463193_jpxk9b6p.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 40
  • il_fullxfull.3621850460_bjwb.jpg
    il_fullxfull.3621850460_bjwb.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
While the lack of consistency is annoying (replacement spines are available), I think the Whittaker logo works well on steelbooks.

I wouldn't have used it personally. I'd have used screen appropriate logos for the steelbooks, even the classic ones. Troughton's font on his, Eccleston/Tennant lozenge on theirs etc. Whittaker's logo on hers.

With 'The Collection', I'd have been torn between screen accurate logos, Hartnell, Baker, McCoy etc. or using the generally accepted Pertwee/McGann one from the front of the DVDs (not the one from the UK spines).

By-and-large, I prefer original fonts (or accepted fonts) when possible.

For Psycho, for example, I accept the cracked font on part 1, even though it didn't appear onscreen until '83 with Psycho II. It was used on original Psycho posters though.

The UK releases of Knight Rider have some new design. I believe the German Blu-ray set will use the original.

You get the point.
Yep