Status
Not open for further replies.

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
I'm thinking about selling my DVD collection to fund my Steelbook (BD) one and am wondering whether there is still a customer base for the aforementioned media format...

So before I go through the trouble of setting up a sales thread, listing prices, taking pics etc... I thought I'd test the waters and get more feedback from the community & see if it's worth it or not, hence the poll.

And feedback/constructive criticism from someone who's done it before would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

People do buy DVDs, I still buy them myself but beware the prices they go for are very low. You are best off selling in bundles and even then you would be lucky to make any decent money.

Reactions: IRON MAN
People do buy DVDs, I still buy them myself but beware the prices they go for are very low. You are best off selling in bundles and even then you would be lucky to make any decent money.

Thanks for chipping in :)

Do you buy them because they maybe have some unique art/packaging?

Haha, I was leaning towards bundles and you just convinced me more. Perhaps by genre or by actor/director etc...

I have no illusions as to what kind of money I might make out of it but as long as it contributes a bit towards my other collection and doesn't feel like a total loss, I "think" I could live with it...

There are some dvd's that will still go for a bundle. However, that # is few and far between. Generally you'll get more if a dvd doesn't have a blu-ray counterpart yet.

I recently sold much of my dvd collection.

And DVD is still selling 4 copies to every 1 copy of blu ray sold.

There are some dvd's that will still go for a bundle. However, that # is few and far between. Generally you'll get more if a dvd doesn't have a blu-ray counterpart yet.

Nice, I have some of those :) first one that comes to mind is Crying Freeman...

I recently sold much of my dvd collection.

Was the final outcome to your satisfaction?

And DVD is still selling 4 copies to every 1 copy of blu ray sold.

Interesting, I had no idea...

I only buy the Bluray/dvd combos. Most of my family haven't upgraded to hidef! I have sold hundreds of DVDs on ebay... to buy steelbooks and King Kong/Avatar stuff :thumbs: Hell, I still own some VHS movies :p

The only time that I still buy DVDs is if it's a film where I'm certain it won't be released on Blu-ray for a long time (or ever) or if I purchase a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack. My last DVD-only purchase was the excellent Ten Inch Hero.

There are some unusual titles out there that I still have to pick up on DVD since there's ultimately no hope of getting a blu-ray release any time soon. A comple offa the top o' my head are;

Screamers
Jack Frost
Mr. Frost

I would have put A Boy and his Dog into that list, but I'll be d@mned, it's getting a blu-ray release!

There is one damn bluray I wish was made! The Original King Kong... in color! :rocl: I only have the DVD :)

Reactions: tridon
Not all BD titles are adequately formatted. Some look almost the same as the DVD transfer. It is a little deceiving because not everyone has a top of the range system at home to notice the significant difference.

Movies such as Avatar & Raiders are obvious in their transfer but some of them are questionable. So settling for a DVD is not such a huge difference. Bearing in mind the aforementioned. On top of that, you also have the limited availability of certain titles only reaching the DVD range making DVD quite coherent in today's market.

Seeing your replies so far, I can tell it's still kind of a mixed bag. :)

Keep'em coming :D

Thanks for chipping in :)

Do you buy them because they maybe have some unique art/packaging?

Haha, I was leaning towards bundles and you just convinced me more. Perhaps by genre or by actor/director etc...

I have no illusions as to what kind of money I might make out of it but as long as it contributes a bit towards my other collection and doesn't feel like a total loss, I "think" I could live with it...

Sometimes it is because they are limited editions. If its a new release movie I will obviously always buy the Blu-ray. The problem is there's so many good titles that have yet to or never will make it too Blu-ray. Things like sports and TV shows are sometimes only on DVD so theirs no choice.

I've got rid of practically everything I had on DVD. I've got a couple which aren't available on Blu and the Friends skyline box set.

I sold the 2 disc editions I had for a couple of quid on eBay and another forum.

The rest I didn't think it was worth the hassle for the odd £ here and there so I donated them to a school/library.

Going forward won't be buying any more.

Depends, the majority of all movies releases over time is not available on Blu-Ray. If a Blu-Ray is available of a movie I'll rewatch again and again, I'll buy it. Or if it's a new release. But I own 100's of DVD's that may never make it to Blu-Ray (international, niche, smaller studios, etc), so for those I keep the DVD, but I wouldn't say I 'collect' them, or go out of my way to purchase a DVD limited ed,etc.

I just got this DVD, since it's not available on blu-ray. :(

SexyEvilGenius_DVD_CoverArt-600x817.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.