Dredd (2012) - In theaters September 21, 2012

Apr 2, 2009
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Dredd (2012)

Tagline: Judgement is coming

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Pete Travis[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Karl Urban[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Olivia Thirlby[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Lena Headey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Wood Harris[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jason Cope[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Domhnall Gleeson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Rakie Ayola[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Deobia Oparei[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Langley Kirkwood[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Warrick Grier[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Scott Sparrow[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Porteus Xandau[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Joe Vaz[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Nicole Bailey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Karl Thaning[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2012-09-21[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]95[/RUNTIME]

Plot: In the future, America is a dystopian wasteland. The latest scourge is Ma-Ma, a prostitute-turned-drug pusher with a dangerous new drug and aims to take over the city. The only possibility of stopping her is an elite group of urban police called Judges, who combine the duties of judge, jury and executioner to deliver a brutal brand of swift justice. But even the top-ranking Judge, Dredd, discovers that taking down Ma-Ma isn’t as easy as it seems in this explosive adaptation of the hugely popular comic series.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
71fkYuMVMtdbREh9Mp3gTFmI8Bv.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

dredd_movie_image_karl_urban_01-600x365.jpg

From IMDB:

A few weeks back, there were murmurings out of Comic-Con that the new Judge Dredd had been cast and that it would be none other than New Zealand's own Karl Urban ("Bones" McCoy from Star Trek with upcoming comic movies Red and Priest). Empire Online has gotten confirmation from the film's producers Andrew MacDonald and Allon Reich, who were asked about it during a Q 'n' A at BFI's Movie-Con III, currently taking place in London. MacDonald confirmed the casting reported as a scoop by Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston last month.

Here's what else MacDonald said about the project during the Q 'n' A:

“The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago. Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real. There’s been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they’re treated seriously."

Director Pete Travis (Vantage Point) will begin shooting Judge Dredd in Johannesburg, South Africa with the same people who made Neill Blomkamp's District 9 later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this yesterday also..... superb movie! Had a very gritty dark feel to it, was overly violent and very gory! I loved it :D Karl Urban was super as Dredd and makes the Stallone version look as bad as it actually is

Saw this yesterday also..... superb movie! Had a very gritty dark feel to it, was overly violent and very gory! I loved it :D Karl Urban was super as Dredd and makes the Stallone version look as bad as it actually is

EEK! you funny man real funny.I'm sure this movie was good because the character can't be bad,but i doubt it was better then the original.I mean did you see Diane Lane:oohyeah:?

Just about to go check this out! From all the reviews I've read they all seem to say the same thing! That Karl urban is good as dredd that's it's proper violent and the 3d is good. What you guys think of the 3d???

I really enjoyed this! I thought Karl Urban was awesome as Dredd and some of his lines were bad ass. There was also a couple of good 3d bits and the slow motion scenes were good. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel with a bigger budget!

Dredd is out here in America!
You guys in Europe seems like really enjoyed that one!!! Let's hope it gets the same vibe here!

+1. I really enjoyed it. Kinda of reminded me of The Raid, minus all of the martial arts, of course. Any action buffs out there, don't hesitate.

yeah, this was an awesome action movie and one of the better, if not the best action movie I've seen lately. Definitely worth checking out in theaters.

From Boxofficemojo.com:
In sixth place, comic book adaptation/remake Dredd bombed with just $6.3 million from 2,506 locations. That's less than one-third of Kick-Ass's $19.8 million, and only a little over half of the original Judge Dredd's $12.3 million (and that movie was considered a flop 17 years ago!). It's at least up on Shoot 'Em Up ($5.7 million) and about on par with April's Lockout ($6.2 million), though those comparisons suggest Dredd is on track for less than $20 million through its entire run. The audience was predominantly male (75 percent) and older (69 percent were 25 years of age or older) and they gave the movie a "B" CinemaScore. A 3D share is not currently available.

Dredd's awful performance is the latest example of how the Comic-Con/online fanboy crowd just doesn't make up a large portion of the moviegoers in this country. The movie came out of its Comic-Con screening in July with tons of online buzz and very strong reviews, and it maintained a 100 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes through at least its first 25 reviews (though it ultimately wound up at a more-reasonable 77 percent). As a result, the fanboy audience was very aware of this movie ahead of release, and anticipation seemed to be pretty high among this group as well. Ultimately, though, it's just not a big-enough group to drive strong business.

And from CBM:
The latest figures have DREDD at $6.3 million for the weekend; one of the worst comic book movie/3D openings EVER. With a budget of $45 million, a sequel could happen if it takes off overseas, although it's unlikely that a major studio would consider picking it up after such low numbers in North America. Despite a Rotten Tomatoes consensus which declares, "Fueled by bombastic violence and impressive special effects, rooted in self-satire and deadpan humor, Dredd 3D is a rare example of a remake that actually works," it seems as if the film is destined to be a one-off cult hit.

A sequel? Doesn't look good...

just curious, for the folks that saw this movie already - did you like it enough to rewatch / buy it?

just curious, for the folks that saw this movie already - did you like it enough to rewatch / buy it?

I liked the movie and would buy it on Blu-ray. I still think that the Stallone movie is the better and more rewatchable B-movie.

And The Raid is definitely 100 times better than Dredd.