Drive-Away Dolls - In theaters February 23, 2024

kaw

Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Drive-Away Dolls

Tagline: A story of two ladies going south.

Genre: Crime, Comedy, Mystery

Director: Ethan Coen

Cast: Margaret Qualley, Geraldine Viswanathan, Beanie Feldstein, Colman Domingo, Pedro Pascal, Matt Damon, Bill Camp, Joey Slotnick, C.J. Wilson, Connie Jackson, Miley Cyrus

Release: 2023-09-22

Runtime: 83

Plot: A Russ Meyer-inspired action sex comedy centered on a party girl who takes a trip from Philadelphia to Tallahassee with her buttoned-down friend. As they cruise the bars they find themselves mixed up in a series of misadventures involving a severed head in a hatbox, a bitter ex-girlfriend, a mystery briefcase, and an evil senator.

driveaway_dolls.jpeg

This is awesome!
I guess one Coen is enough too.
Although I hear one was more about writing, and the other about directing, just don't know which is which.

Why?
Awful music, stupid obnoxious comedy, annoying fast paced editing for comedic effect, and at 0:34 wtf is that....looks ad-libbed and again the music is atrocious.
that's one hell of a way to make sure people won't watch it

this is giving me Burn after Reading vibes which I also did not enjoy, also Margaret Qualley forced southern accent way over the top

Last edited:
Perhaps trying a bit too hard being 'quirky', with out of place 60s style trippy intermissions throughout, but otherwise, once you get used to its tone, is very amusing and interesting to follow, with plenty of unusual fun scenes. Plus I haven't seen a full-fledged lesbian movie in a while, where it's not just a background 'feature' for kicks and points.
It's very short though, by today's standards, and almost all best scenes were partially shown in the trailer.
I'd like a Blu-ray of it though.

P.S. 'Real' title is revealed in the end. It's not Dolls. :D

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database