Edge of Tomorrow (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Ultimate Collector's Edition) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 1, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV - WB Shop (Pre-order is on May 23)
Price: £39.99

Edge of Tomorrow.jpg

Last edited:
Is it not possible to get just the steelbook? I don't want all the extra paraphernalia.
Any chance of just getting the steelbook?

I don't need to spend the extra cash on some tat I'll never use.
I'd also like a tat free option in the UK, any news on that? WB shop maybe?

Wow, so many 'non-collectors' on a collector's forum.
Before anyone says anything - I do not understand how one would want a steelbook, and not all the other cool stuff, especially when a steelbook is pretty bad, like here.
Oh, you just would like a movie - buy the 'amaray' then.

Before anyone says anything - I do not understand how one would want a steelbook, and not all the other cool stuff, especially when a steelbook is pretty bad, like here.
What do you do with the tat? It either collects dust or goes to landfill..

Speaking for myself I collect Steelbooks because they're a robust housing to protect my physical media and I personally prefer them to amaray cases

Speaking for myself I collect Steelbooks because they're a robust housing to protect my physical media and I personally prefer them to amaray cases
Likewise.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for collectors editions for those that want them (and clearly there are those that do), but personally I do not want to be paying extra for additional physical materials that I don't actually want and would only be taking up space unnecessarily IMO. At least with the Jaws release a couple of years ago, there was a choice of a collectors edition with booklet and art cards, or just the steelbook on its own for £12 less which is what I went for (and commented as such in the threads at the time).

Is that not similar to those that complain about only 4K editions being available when they only want a (cheaper) standard blu-ray (or 3D) option?

Why you would buy steelbooks if you actually have no interest in collecting steelbooks is beyond me. A standard amaray offers protection enough, more than enough to actually protect the discs. I would say a vast majority of steelbook collectors prefer the "tat"

Reactions: Lenny Nero
The steelbook itself IS a collectors item though and clearly the main attraction, so it's not the least bit surprising to me that folks would only want the steel.

The steelbook IS a collectors item though and clearly the main attraction, so it's not the least bit surprising to me that folks would only want the steel.
I know that there was a guy would buy one of each Blufans releases then throw away the slips and other bits (they did find someone to buy those off them eventually). He did this because he collected steelbooks and had no interest in all the rest.
Personally when I go for editions I look at steelbook art then slip art and rarely even notice what else comes with an edition. But each to their own. :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
The steelbook IS a collectors item though and clearly the main attraction, so it's not the least bit surprising to me that folks would only want the steel.
Agreed. At least, it certainly for me it is as they offer something a bit different to the standard Amaray release.

Take, for example, the various Doctor Who series sets which have had some stunning art and are definitely a more premium package than the Amaray versions. Likewise the Disney steels (especially some of the earlier releases).

On the subject of the Doctor Who sets, I have pre-ordered the upcoming steelbook versions of the 1960s Dalek movies. Now I know that the Collectors Editions of those don't actually contain the steelbook anyway, but even if they did then I still would have gone for the steelbook only option rather than pay another £20 each for a few extra bits and bobs.

But, as I said in an earlier post, I am not saying that people shouldn't want all-signing all-dancing editions if that's what they want to collect. And, to be honest, I have bought collectors editions (and not necessarily those with steelbooks, either!) myself in the past. But in more recent years I have come to question the true value of them to me (especially where they are taking up a lot of space as a result of content that I'm not really sure is, or even was, of great interest to me anyway). however, I do like the alternative packaging element that a steelbook offers over a standard Amaray, especially where it takes up the same amount of space (or, in the case of some multi-disc packs, actually less space) as the Amaray case - even if some of the more recent steelbook designs have been a bit suspect!! :) :whistle:

Untouchables is a great example .... you are getting a choice. I know some collectors who love all the stuff that comes with them, that is a personal choice, like it is mine not to like most of it, but, it's great to have a choice. You are at least getting that with new releases like "The Untouchables". As collectors we'll all be unhappy about something, but that is the beauty of it all I think.

Why you would buy steelbooks if you actually have no interest in collecting steelbooks is beyond me. A standard amaray offers protection enough, more than enough to actually protect the discs. I would say a vast majority of steelbook collectors prefer the "tat"
And that's fine. I don't mind being a minority collector! :)

I know that there was a guy would buy one of each Blufans releases then throw away the slips and other bits (they did find someone to buy those off them eventually). He did this because he collected steelbooks and had no interest in all the rest.
Personally when I go for editions I look at steelbook art then slip art and rarely even notice what else comes with an edition. But each to their own. :thumbs:
I know someone who does that too, which is kinda shocking to me, but I guess those collectors are left with no choice now that 1/4 slip have mostly been phased out. All I'm really interested in is the steel and slips too, so I'd much rather they did away with all the other tat, especially if it means it'll cost less.

As someone who has spent the last 12/18 months minimising their collection, one can have far too much “tat” in a set where much less or more refined “tat” would be my preference.

As long as it’s done well, take for example Blufans OAB Harry Potter, where the art cards are on proper parchment paper with gold effects, then I’m all for the extra bits. However just printing screen grabs for the sake of it is a bit of a waste, of space and money. Don’t get me stated on posters!

I find I’m a bit of a mix collector when it comes to premiums these days, some steels and some premiums. If it’s a large franchise of sorts, for example Pixar, then I’ll go for the steels for space purposes, however if it’s a one-off or small franchise, or I absolutely love the set, then I’ll go all out with an OC.

I think you can be a valid collector, with or without “tat.”

Okay, but what am I supposed to do with a steelbook that's too big for my shelf because it contains some posters and art cards I don't want and don't care about? Why waste the extra money?

I had to buy the Singin' In The Rain steel from Europe because the UK version came with pages of useless crap I don't want. I had my phase of posters and art cards, used to hang them up all around my room with all my movies. It looked hideous and I took them down, now I'm left with hundreds of little cards and posters just sitting in a draw collecting dust.

Personally, I don't get the point of it. It's just screen grabs from the movie and some posters, sure, they look nice but they usually sit in the case doing nothing. And I had to pay extra for it. Why waste the extra money on paper and cards I don't want and didn't ask for?