PC Elite: Dangerous

May 19, 2011
Singapore
Elite: Dangerous is a forthcoming space trading and combat simulator that represents the fourth instalment in the Elite video game series. Having been unable to agree a funding deal with a publisher for many years, the developers crowdfunded the project through a Kickstarter campaign. The Windows version is due to be released in March 2014

home: Elite: Dangerous - Become Legend

(Ingame engine)

Alpha Release 1.0 Single player video.

In this tenth Elite: Dangerous Dev Diary David Braben talks about the alpha process so far and the stages coming up, including the imminent phase 2 release for multiplayer combat, preview clips of which can be seen in the video.

Alpha Release 2.0 with multiplayer is LIVE!

BEST Multiplayer video yet!

Current Alpha system requirements:
Direct X 11
Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
2 GB System Ram (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU, 1GB video RAM

AnacondaCardHD.jpg

Docking16x10.jpg

EliteCombat16x9.jpg

ImperialWarshipShipyard2.jpg

ViperHD16x9.jpg

peek_of_the_week_12.jpg

cobra-xmas-card_fullres.jpg

peek_of_the_week_13.jpg

peek_of_the_week_15.png

peek_of_the_week_16.jpg

peek_of_the_week_17.jpg

peek_of_the_week_18.jpg

News articles:
RPS article of the alpha
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/hands-on-with-elite-dangerous/

peek_of_the_week_14.jpg

Deep space. That?s the heart of Elite: Dangerous. As with the original and its two sequels, Frontier Developments? new Kickstarter-funded space exploration game will ask its players to absorb themselves deep within its systems ? not just of stars and galaxies but of navigation, combat and trading. Speaking to Braben about the game recently, he repeatedly returned to the notion that Dangerous was a game whose intricacies must be learned over time.

It has taken time to get a new Elite off the ground, too. It is no secret that Braben has wanted to make this game for years ? perhaps even since the release of Frontier: First Encounters in 1995. Braben says the old publisher-developer relationship would have seen Frontier?s vision of what the game should be compromised. Now, through Kickstarter and Frontier?s own fundraising efforts, the Cambridge studio now has over ?2.2 million with which to make that game a reality.

?Working with a publisher would give a very different end result to the one we have planned ? mainly as there have been few open games like the one we are making in recent years,? Braben tells us. ?We had watched the rise of Kickstarter in the US and went on there with Elite: Dangerous as soon as it came to the UK ? it provided a was a great validation of the interest in the game for us, and the funding helped us move into full production with the game.?

more @ http://www.edge-online.com/news/david-braben-on-the-return-of-elite-crowdfunded-and-unsullied-by-publisher-influence/

E264.png

How have you found the process of making a game in full view of some 25,000 Kickstarter backers?
It’s funny, during development you’re often concentrating on whatever feature isn’t working very well and you lose sight of the fact that actually you’ve got a lot of really great stuff under your belt. You wouldn’t think so, but morale can be quite low in the middle of the project: ‘We’ve got this to do, and this to do.’ But actually having to show elements of the game publicly that we’re already happy with is fantastic. It’s ‘Actually, it is pretty good,’ not ‘I wish we could sort this.’ It’s like your kid’s first day at school – you want to know how they react.

So it’s reasonable to say that you’re happy with the way the project is shaping up.
Now that the combat is sound, it will just keep getting richer. At the moment, [we have] a very narrow and well-refined scenario. Those scenarios are emergent things that come from gameplay – ‘I don’t want to be seen by him; I want to get out of here,’ so the objective is just to run away, which feels really weak. In the very early days of the first Elite, when we were doing it as a combat game, it felt very repetitive. But very quickly, once the context changes, you think, ‘Oh, Christ, I have to get this gold through. I’ve got such a good price on it. If I can get it to this space station… Oh, no, I’m being attacked!’ It contextualises running away and makes so much sense.
more @ http://www.edge-online.com/news/its...ol-david-braben-on-the-elite-dangerous-alpha/

Do a barrel roll! Edge magazine has a fantastic animated cover for their online version of the latest issue out now! vine.co/v/MW3rbI5iaEJ
https://vine.co/v/MW3rbI5iaEJ

Attachments

• ed.jpg
    ed.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aw 83
FinalHighResText.jpg

Contents this week
Peek of the Week
E3
Comms Chatter
Mostly Harmless Questions
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=4a0814bda4&e=9959d2b703

Yesterday at 3pm BST, David Braben took part in a Q&A session on our forums where we had some fantastic questions asked.

Below are a few questions taken from the thread;

Sloma - "Hi David I hope to see you soon on Twitch answering questions, anyway I have a question: Are you focused atm on Federal / Independent side? Why are we not seeing any Imperial ship designs or any content related to Imperial faction?"
The area of space we chose happens to be a long way from Imperial space, hence the focus of PB1 etc. We have Imperial content too (as in the 'Damocles' video and the Imperial cruiser and Imperial fighters), but that will come as we open up space.

Colonel Kenney - "One interesting question I have. Much of the galaxy will take us a very long time to get to. Are there any plans of implementing any sort of "shortcuts" to different parts of the galaxy such as wormholes? Like something extremely rare but there are some hidden around for us to discover etc? Like how can we explore the center of the galaxy if it would take a year of gameplay to get there etc?"
No, we're not planning to implement shortcuts. For me, one of the attractions is it IS a big achievement to travel a long distance. I like the idea of the occasional meeting of a player far far out in the galaxy as a chance encounter. We do plan to seed things of interest out there too.

Brodie - "Has any (more) thought been put into Crafting within Elite Dangerous?
I'd love to mine the required resources and then deposit it them into a rented factory along with a blueprint and make my own missiles etc"
There is already a sort of crafting loop in Premium Beta 1 - for example coltan is mined, then taken to be refined into tantalum, then turned into high-tech goods. Down the line mining machines (as featured in Frontier) and similar elements will be introduced, but that will most likely be after the first release.

Last but not least, one very important question that came from various forum members;

"Can I be found in the Premium Beta, and what is my commander name?"
My commander name is Commander Braben, and yes - I am there from time to time.

I sat down and grabbed a hold of the right joystick, and the left throttle control. One of the super backers of Elite Dangerous gave me a quick tutorial. My ship was in the hangar, and my first task was to pilot it out of space dock. The joystick was extremely sensitive at controlling pitch and yaw, and the throttle could be a bit twitchy, but after the launching system brought my ship out of the huge cylinder, I was indeed able to squeeze my way out of the small blue opening and got out into space. After I cleared the opening and the floating advertising billboards in space, it was incredibly satisfying to throw back the throttle and cruise.

Space is beautiful, and it is wonderful to just look at the planets, suns and asteroids in Elite Dangerous. Between systems, you can enter a faster than light travel mode which will let you traverse distances quickly, but you still have to pilot your ship. My handler said I should head to a mining facility inside the flat disk ring of a large gas giant planet. Dropping into combat speed, I was suddenly brought close to the rings, which became huge asteroids rolling and spinning. Glorious.

"Have you seen the star map?" the demonstrator asked. "No."

He called it up and explained that the 3D map includes stars that we know exist, such as Proxima Centauri and Barnard's star. Elite Dangerous has about 100,000 stars near the Sol system that our astronomers know about accurately represented in the game. It was incredible seeing these stars in three dimensions all around you. But then, we kept scrolling out, and scrolling out, scrolling out and the entire breadth of the Milky Way galaxy was finally revealed.

I felt infinity punch me in the gut.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...tter&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=auto

E3 trailer again

peek_of_the_week_36.jpg

Elite: Dangerous in gaming media
RPS - Smuggling The E3 Trophy Home: Elite – Dangerous

PCGames - Fly through a letterbox in space in the Elite: Dangerous E3 trailer

Joystiq - E3 2014: Hands-on with Elite: Dangerous and the Oculus Rift

Escapist - Elite: Dangerous - Oculus Support Puts You in Infinity

more from Elite: Dangerous Newsletter #27

5a241773-9db0-4607-aeb1-a81ee4c559ae.jpg

IMAGE-G.jpg

IMAGE-H.jpg

Dinbar: Will you be building any specific "role play" emotes, tools etc.
We aren’t looking at using emotes as they don’t really fit the communications system (which is one of the features we’re currently working on). Beyond the Text and Voice communications we are looking at there will be pre-defined messages that have additional game play effects, such as the ability to “declare piracy” – an act that can affect your reputation and trigger specific AI responses.

Steve Taylor: Will it be possible to find our NPCs in the finished game?
Players will be able to find starports and systems that they have named by exploring the galaxy! Named NPCs will be encountered randomly during game play.

Duvand: I really like to explore in games, will there be rewards in the game for doing this and what form will they take?
We are looking at having a variety of rewards for exploration including straightforward credit payments, access to rare or restricted ship modules, and increases in reputation which open up new mission and event possibilities, as well as increase the likelihood of favourable outcomes when dealing with NPCs and factions.

Caribou: Will there be long range scanners, or some kind of small robot scanner that can hyperspace to a distant system and return some basic info on it?
One of the aspects of exploration we are working towards does indeed have hyperspace-capable “probes” that gather and transmit useful information back to the ship.
Veep: Which ships will get multiple independent shield sections?
Ships roughly the size of the Cobra or larger will have multiple shield zones, and the ability to “push” shield power between them.

peek_of_the_week_50.jpg

Elite: Dangerous' original budget was £8m
Sandbox spaceship game Elite: Dangerous may have only - only! - raised £1.58m ($2.5m) on Kickstarter, but that was just a fraction of the original budget.

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".

"We're a public company so we can't put out figures without first putting them to the City, but let's just say we're very, very happy."

It may not be the $50m (£30m) that Star Citizen - that other crowd-funded space game - has managed to raise, but Braben's studio Frontier Developments has been turning out games reliably for a decade, and turning a profit.

Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, on the other hand, was founded in 2012 to make Star Citizen. Will it be as efficient - will it matter?

Elite: Dangerous continues to make money as people buy beta access at £50 a pop. This also buys you the full game.

In mid-August when we spoke, more than 75,000 people were playing the Elite: Dangerous beta, providing "more and more money that moves ever closer to the game breaking even in a really good way".

"Oh we already have enough [money] to see it through," Braben added, almost chastising me for suggesting such a thing. "It all means it just de-risks it in a really good way."

(Kickstarter backers who pledged enough money for beta access will be included in that 75,000 figure, but not everyone pledged big, and only 25,681 people in total backed the project there.)
more @ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-11-elite-dangerous-original-budget-was-8m

Warning: images ahead!

JURBqDv.jpg

VAtgC0P.jpg

TrSx8Y8.jpg

Plotting a route to Sol. Cradle of Mankind.
Io3AGbC.jpg

t2xVsi8.jpg

Combat view
3NEwHT6.jpg

Tense in the cockpit
cTFMKYy.jpg

Limping back to the station for repairs
jaNfarw.jpg