Fifty Shades of Grey - In theaters February 13, 2015

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
From IMDB:
A literature student Anastasia Steele meets a handsome, yet tormented, billionaire named Christian Grey.
With: Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson

Trailer:

Per Gofobo:
NEW YORK, June 27th, 2013 – The global release of Fifty Shades of Grey will start in North America on Friday, August 1st, 2014 with opening dates around the world to be announced. The Focus Features domestic theatrical release will be in theaters nationwide. Universal Pictures International is releasing the movie in the rest of the world.

Sam Taylor-Johnson is directing the highly anticipated film adaptation of E L James’ #1 bestselling book. Fifty Shades of Grey has been adapted into a screenplay by Kelly Marcel. Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti are producing the movie version alongside Ms. James.

Attachments

• fity-shades.jpg
    fity-shades.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drum18
What I do find interesting is how each successive generation thinks they have found a 'shocking new' thing!
(Someone please tell Lena Dunham about Mary Martin playing Peter Pan 50 years ago, please....)
This is really just 9 1/2 Weeks again for a generation who doesn't know that movie exists!
Nothing new under the sun here, folks!;)
Although, playing it in IMAX is just a strange strategy. But...I am not the target audience, so...:)
haha, yup everything old is new again and seen from a completely different perspective based on exposure and preferences and historical context. I do think it's generally unfortunate that 'derivative' films can sometime automatically get dismissed (not saying you were, but it happens every day).

Completely separate from your comment-I think most people have a 'benchmark' in their own minds and it becomes very difficult sometimes to see 'newer' films through a lens other than that with predisposition-I think we involuntarily sabotage ourselves, guess it's only human. I myself was very 'dismissive' of Fifty Shades, as a whole. But I also am very open minded so as most close female friends had read it years ago(and I giggled at them), one day I decided to audio book it.

I found the narration irritating and some of the writing too 'deliberately' shock-seeking which I found boring and repetitive. I couldn't have cared less about the actual sex ,but ultimately I did like the psychological complexity of their unfolding relationship.

I actually wish more guys did comment on how they feel about this film (good or bad) without somehow perhaps feeling 'threatened' or 'afraid' (only basing this on my own experience of when this comes up) of being chastised or ridiculed. Ironically it was my wife who was slightly jealous and annoyed about me audio-booking Fifty Shades, lol.... Maybe it's time I get my blindfolds out for her. After all, it is almost V-day ;)

haha, yup everything old is new again and seen from a completely different perspective based on exposure and preferences and historical context. I do think it's generally unfortunate that 'derivative' films can sometime automatically get dismissed (not saying you were, but it happens every day).

Completely separate from your comment-I think most people have a 'benchmark' in their own minds and it becomes very difficult sometimes to see 'newer' films through a lens other than that with predisposition-I think we involuntarily sabotage ourselves, guess it's only human. I myself was very 'dismissive' of Fifty Shades, as a whole. But I also am very open minded so as most close female friends had read it years ago(and I giggled at them), one day I decided to audio book it.

I found the narration irritating and some of the writing too 'deliberately' shock-seeking which I found boring and repetitive. I couldn't have cared less about the actual sex ,but ultimately I did like the psychological complexity of their unfolding relationship.

I actually wish more guys did comment on how they feel about this film (good or bad) without somehow perhaps feeling 'threatened' or 'afraid' (only basing this on my own experience of when this comes up) of being chastised or ridiculed. Ironically it was my wife who was slightly jealous and annoyed about me audio-booking Fifty Shades, lol.... Maybe it's time I get my blindfolds out for her. After all, it is almost V-day ;)
I was one of the few who loved Cronenberg's 'Crash'! So I can hang with new directions thematically!
I do admit that I have a predisposition to not be interested in the film, but largely on the grounds that it probably is not going to be anything approaching 'new'. And I am turned off by the fact that it is based on a Zeitgeist popularity that flew in the face of most people saying that it read like, well...Amateur Fan Fiction.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, and I don't root for bad movies- so I hope it is good. But properties like this, that carve their way into popular culture like a hurricane are always polarizing. This might be one of those love it or hate it movies with no middle ground!
Mostly, it's not my kinda genre, and that's why I'm ambivalent about it. (Attach 'erotic' as a descriptor to a movie and I'm already out!!)
Big ups to you getting the book on audio!:thumbs: I would never be able to take in books without the audiobook option!
100s of books listened to in the car! I love 'em! I just finished the sequel to 'John Dies at the End' called 'This Book is Full of Spiders'...Great! (Especially if you loved the movie of JDATE).:)

I was one of the few who loved Cronenberg's 'Crash'! So I can hang with new directions thematically!
I do admit that I have a predisposition to not be interested in the film, but largely on the grounds that it probably is not going to be anything approaching 'new'. And I am turned off by the fact that it is based on a Zeitgeist popularity that flew in the face of most people saying that it read like, well...Amateur Fan Fiction.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, and I don't root for bad movies- so I hope it is good. But properties like this, that carve their way into popular culture like a hurricane are always polarizing. This might be one of those love it or hate it movies with no middle ground!
Mostly, it's not my kinda genre, and that's why I'm ambivalent about it. (Attach 'erotic' as a descriptor to a movie and I'm already out!!)
Big ups to you getting the book on audio!:thumbs: I would never be able to take in books without the audiobook option!
100s of books listened to in the car! I love 'em! I just finished the sequel to 'John Dies at the End' called 'This Book is Full of Spiders'...Great! (Especially if you loved the movie of JDATE).:)

I do too-don't have a long commute but still try tomlisten as much as I can. I knew I had started a thread about this here, feel free to share what you've been hearing lately https://www.hidefninja.com/community/index.php?threads/Last-audiobook-heard?.57763/

Reactions: C.C. 95

As a funny aside, one day I was listening to a piece of Fifty Shades, at work and as I reached over to grab my coffee, my headphones flew out of my phone. AWKWARD!!! But luckily, they 'happened' to be talking lol.

I'm personally up for this film but like you guys are saying I can imagine the sexual content is dumbed down for the cinema and also the book is badly written which I can only imagine translates the same on the big screen.
I've not actually read the book myself but at the time this was huge I had some lady friends reading it and they read a few passages to me at times and i thought it was all a tad bit repetitive.
I've not read any reviews on the film yet either but looking at what you guys are saying it don't sound promising.
I really like the trailer to this and Also being a huge secretary and shame fan I was really up for this.
I'll still give it a go at some point.
And I still need to see the nymphomaniac films too

I had heard nothing about it just discovered not that long ago that there was this movie coming out because Ellen was talking regularly about it and I decided to grab the book which I read through in a week(finished last night). I have to say I could not put the book down, I was reading every night, fastest book I ever read, but didn't want to go too fast as I wanted to enjoy it. It was the same with Twilight, it really brings out the school boy out of me :emb:. I am a sucker I guess for Romantic comedies/Drama.

to quote @digitalbabe '' ...but ultimately I did like the psychological complexity of their unfolding relationship'' ~ this is what I enjoyed the most out of the book, at first the sexual content was exciting but true the last sexual scene of the book I could have done without it and more relationship content instead...

Some stated they didn't like the book it was poorly written, but what do you expect, a Pulitzer written novel ? It's Erotism. Love that it was Jamie Dornan that was cast as I think it fits the Character so well but didn't see any of his acting skills for that role... don't know much about the chemistry as I tried to avoid trailers as I usually do.

From IMDB;

‘Fifty Shades’ Opens Hot with $8.6 Million Thursday Night

Universal’s “Fifty Shades of Grey” has launched with a sizzling $8.6 million at 2,830 North American locations in Thursday night showings that started at 8 p.m.
The tale of romance mixed with Bdsm set several records, becoming Universal’s highest-grossing latenight show ever, eclipsing the $6.5 million set by “Fast and Furious 6.”
It’s also the second-highest grossing R-rated latenight opening behind “The Hangover 2″ at $10.4 million and the highest latenight showing for a film in February.

Universal has forecasted that “Fifty Shades,” based on E.L. James’ massively popular novel, will wind up with a four-day launch topping $50 million over the four days. But that’s at the low end of expectations, with other analysts and rivals predicting a debut in the $70 million-$80 million range.

Last edited:
Here's the weird thing: Feminist Organizations are not gonna have anything to say about this? Really?
(Kinda kicks their credibility to the curb, and exposes a hypocrisy....IMHO.)

As a keen follower of BDSM I didn't enjoy the film, although if I decide to go to the sqeaul I will not go in my leather chaps, saddle and whip, or bring my swing with me.

It was deemed inapproiate for a 1 PM showing in the middle of a city.

Should have seen what the girlfriend was wearing ;)