Funko guts Mondo

Nov 5, 2018
I honestly wish they never bought them. Knew something like this would happen and it took less than a year

I don’t collect the prints but I do the vinyl and steels and they will be next to go. Watch the vinyl department crumble. Terrible news

This makes me super sad.

Well that sucks. Huge fan of the steelbook line and have quite a few mondo prints and vinyl as well. Gutted.

It sucks for sure, but I'd doubt this will impact the steelbook line in the near term. Licensing existing art to studios for a mondo x steelbook is essentially free money for funko.

This isn't good news to hear for collectors as their Vinyl & Steelbook lines were pretty epic to say the least.

Funko has been having heavy financial troubles unless someone steps in like Microsoft did to save Gamestop I'm not sure what will happen to their brand.

Confusing though as Funko has been doing well with general sales & their holiday ornaments were most excellent!!

Eh, I never liked anything Mondo put out, although I did buy a few OK steelbooks, but those were made a while ago (Reservoir Dogs, The Boondock Saints), maybe there was one person that created something good (to my taste of course, everything very subjective).
But Funko is a horrible evil company preying on weak collectors' associative psychology, using their sympathy for various characters to sell utterly ugly, exactly the same plastic crappy figures. Maybe they're doing something else, but I only know of those stupid Funko Pops, total trash.

This isn't good news to hear for collectors as their Vinyl & Steelbook lines were pretty epic to say the least.

Funko has been having heavy financial troubles unless someone steps in like Microsoft did to save Gamestop I'm not sure what will happen to their brand.

Confusing though as Funko has been doing well with general sales & their holiday ornaments were most excellent!!
Saturated the market, I feel these days you can get a free Funko in your corn flakes.

Literally the antithesis of Mondo.

Reactions: samdavies
Part of me thinks they are going to reprint some of those OG posters, because they certainly have lost the talent to make quality new ones

God I hope not. I guess it all depends on what scope was purchased when they acquired the company. Was it just the brand recognition and assets to product going forward or did it include the back catalog. Then the questions as to royalties for the artists and whether they were commission for certain print runs etc. I was worried when they acquire Mondo I knew it was going to be a disaster. The companies are polar opposites with Mondo being high end collectibles for “nerd culture” while Funko churned out mass produced garbage.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Do we know if they will continue their vinyl section? I've been waiting for them to continue their Kubrick soundtrack series for almost 2 years now.

Do we know if they will continue their vinyl section? I've been waiting for them to continue their Kubrick soundtrack series for almost 2 years now.
There been no reports yet that the Vinyl department is going to be affected

Mondo staff
Estimated was 40 to now 20 Staff remaining.
Funko also reduced staff by 10% in regards to Funko itself Worldwide

Could it happen Vinyl be affected it's possible if Funko decide more cutbacks is required in running their business.

They intend to continue the Mondo poster business but will the quality be the same as before.
Will existing artists still want to design art for Mondo ???

The guys that setup Mondo originally might decide to launch a new company if that's possible but might be legal issues in doing this in regards to existing contract commitments with artists providing art for Mondo.

I'm surprised they cut Mondo staff by half as the posters majority sold out quickly
I don't know though what profit margins was with posters

The Vinyl some releases took a while to sell out

• Informative
Reactions: Vega
So many artists have said they won’t work with them now under Funko. Some big names too.

If you look around you can see other galleries that just sit on art and print runs because of poor composition or poor art direction. You hear that Funko? No automatic sell outs on prints.

Every one of the regular Mondo artists said how they became better artists because of those OGs - Mitch, Rob and Eric.

You gotta think that either they try and use any designs already done and turn it off, or just crank out a ton of subpar art because they have the licenses.

Reactions: Flloydo
Confused, I thought they laid off the founders. Is someone else leading the “Mondo” arm within Funko now?

Attachments

• 32FA75EE-B246-4DB1-8571-EE22CAAD0FE4.jpeg
    32FA75EE-B246-4DB1-8571-EE22CAAD0FE4.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 62