Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Godzilla: King of Monsters

Tagline: God help us all.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Michael Dougherty

Cast: Vera Farmiga, Kyle Chandler, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, Millie Bobby Brown, Bradley Whitford, Charles Dance, Zhang Ziyi, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Thomas Middleditch, Aisha Hinds, Anthony Ramos, Randall P. Havens, Jonathan Howard, Elizabeth Ludlow, Van Marten, Lyle Brocato

Release: 2019-03-20

Plot: The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

Attachments

• godzilla.png
    godzilla.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,725
  • Informative
Reactions: PunkNinja
Shame Gareth Edwards has left, but there are plenty of other directors out there who are more than capable of giving us another great Godzilla movie... not that I have any in mind right now though. :p

Which director would you all choose to replace Edwards?

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Shame Gareth Edwards has left, but there are plenty of other directors out there who are more than capable of giving us another great Godzilla movie... not that I have any in mind right now though. :p

I actually can't think of any, I am quite tired though

Spielberg or JJ would be interesting choices but I'm trying to think of someone newer for some reason. Maybe the jurrassic world director, Colin what's his face

Nolan would be interesting too but I can't see him doing a second film in a franchise.
Also trying to think of who's available, what's joss whedon doing next?
Imagine if they got someone like tel toro or Peter Jackson! lol would be well weird (only because of Jacksons previous films and Kong and tel toros luck with Pacific rim)

Spielberg or JJ would be interesting choices but I'm trying to think of someone newer for some reason. Maybe the jurrassic world director, Colin what's his face

Nolan would be interesting too but I can't see him doing a second film in a franchise.
Imagine if they got someone like tel toro or Peter Jackson! lol would be well weird (only because of Jacksons previous films and Kong and tel toros luck with Pacific rim)
I'd rather see a newer/lesser known director have a shot too. Colin Trevorrow also crossed my mind at one point, but he's directing Star Wars Episode IX, so it'd probably have a similar outcome to the whole Gareth Edwards situation lol. Del Toro and PJ are good shouts, as they're quite experienced in that field (mahoosive monsters) as you said. I reckon George Miller could deliver something quite entertaining. Or even Niell Blomkamp... he'd definitely give us something very different. I've got loads of directors going through my head now, but they're all pretty well known ones (Ridley Scott and Paul Greengrass to name a few).

I'd rather see a newer/lesser known director have a shot too. Colin Trevorrow also crossed my mind at one point, but he's directing Star Wars Episode IX, so it'd probably have a similar outcome to the whole Gareth Edwards situation lol. Del Toro and PJ are good shouts, as they're quite experienced in that field (mahoosive monsters) as you said. I reckon George Miller could deliver something quite entertaining. Or even Niell Blomkamp... he'd definitely give us something very different. I've got loads of directors going through my head now, but they're all pretty well known ones (Ridley Scott and Paul Greengrass to name a few).

Ohhh Miller or blomkamp would be interesting choices

I don't think I knew that Colin was doing Star Wars! Interesting

What about brad bird? I know he's a bit more family friendly but he needs to come out his comfort zone although he's doing incredibles 2 which will take up a lot of time.
I think wheedon would be a good choice personally

What about brad bird? I know he's a bit more family friendly but he needs to come out his comfort zone although he's doing incredibles 2 which will take up a lot of time.
Haha well it is a bit hard keeping up-to-date with all the Star Wars stuff to be fair mate lol.

Yeah, I think Godzilla would be a bit out of Bird's comfort zone to be honest. As for Whedon... others would probably agree that he'd be a great choice, but I'm not a big fan of him personally.

How about Cloverfield and Dawn of the Apes director Matt Reeves? Or even 10 Cloverfield Lane director Dan Trachtenberg? I was also thinking Josh Trank (Chronicle), but I assume a lot people have lost faith in him since Fantastic Four.

I wouldn't mind seeing GDT take the helm. Pacific Rim anyone? :D

Haha well it is a bit hard keeping up-to-date with all the Star Wars stuff to be fair mate lol.

Yeah, I think Godzilla would be a bit out of Bird's comfort zone to be honest. As for Whedon... others would probably agree that he'd be a great choice, but I'm not a big fan of him personally.

How about Cloverfield and Dawn of the Apes director Matt Reeves? Or even 10 Cloverfield Lane director Dan Trachtenberg? I was also thinking Josh Trank (Chronicle), but I assume a lot people have lost faith in him since Fantastic Four.
YAY! :woot: Now we're back on track with this thread! :cool: :notworthy:

My Director picks would be Joseph Kosinski (Oblivion), Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow), or Matt Reeves (Dawn of the Apes). The possibilities are endless! ;) Hopefully WB announces him/her soon :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles

My Director picks would be Joseph Kosinski (Oblivion), Doug Liman (Edge of Tomorrow), or Matt Reeves (Dawn of the Apes). The possibilities are endless! ;) Hopefully WB announces him/her soon :thumbs:
Great shouts dude! I'd be happy with any of those... Liman's schedule looks to be pretty busy at the moment though, whereas Kosinki's doesn't seem to have much planned. Loved both Oblivion and Tron Legacy, so it'd be awesome to see him direct. :D

To be honest I only like the avenger films with wheedon but I was just thinking who could handle it although I hear he's broken since age of ultron

Ha I was meant to put reeves in my post and I thought of trachtenberg too

Yeah shame about trank, loved chronicle but I'll have to see what he does next, liked fantastic 4 but didn't love it

Excellent choices also (Kosinski & liman) forgot about those and I really like oblivion (visuals are amazing) and loved edge of tomorrow also

Great choices, bud -- especially Joseph Kosinski. Love that guy's work!

I'd also like to nominate some peeps who'd kick @$$ in the director's chair. ;)

1) André Øvredal - He directed the phenomenal Trollhunter and his next project has been far too long in the making. Bringing him on to Godzilla would be great for both him and the Big G.

2) Timur Bekmambetov - He directed awesome flicks with Night Watch, Day Watch, and Wanted. His Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was really loved, but it was still visually cool. Add that style to a great script, and you'll have a winner.

3) Joe Cornish - He's been spending most of his time writing, but the guy knows how to direct, too. He directed a great cast (including a young John Boyega) and cool creature action with Attack the Block.

4) Jennifer Kent - Not sure if she'd be down with it, but after The Babadook, I'm definitey looking forward to her next film. The Babadook was a great character piece while featuring sharp, creepy visuals. A Godzilla film could use some of that.

5) Drew Goddard - Known mostly for his (great) screenplays, he did happen to direct one film a few years back -- The Cabin in the Woods. That was a wicked creature free-for-all, so why not do it again on a larger scale?

6) Jonathan Liebesman - I can't really say that he makes great films, but he certainly makes ones that look awesome. Of course, he's the guy behind Battle: Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans, as well as the reboot for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Again, partnered with a solid screenplay, you'll have a great Godzilla film.

7) Louis Leterrier - Another guy who knows how to make a visually impressive film. He was the director behind Clash of the Titans, The Incredible Hulk, and Now You See Me.

8) Gary Shore - He directed Dracula Untold, another visually awesome film. He's also not busy with anything. *wink, wink*

9) Joon-ho Bong - I'm not sure if a Korean director would like to put their spin on a Japanese monster remade for American audiences, but The Host was an excellent monster flick and Bong's first English film, Snowpiercer, was absolutely superb.

10) Jan de Bont - Here's a curveball for you. de Bont began his career as a cinematographer and then exploded in the '90s as one of the best action film directors. Speed, Speed 2, Twister, and The Haunting were all visually pleasing and action-packed. Unfortunately, after he directed Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life in 2003, he disappeared. I'd personally love to see him return as a director and officially kicking off the new Monsterverse would be a great place to start.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Great choices, bud -- especially Joseph Kosinski. Love that guy's work!

I'd also like to nominate some peeps who'd kick @$$ in the director's chair. ;)

1) André Øvredal - He directed the phenomenal Trollhunter and his next project has been far too long in the making. Bringing him on to Godzilla would be great for both him and the Big G.

2) Timur Bekmambetov - He directed awesome flicks with Night Watch, Day Watch, and Wanted. His Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was really loved, but it was still visually cool. Add that style to a great script, and you'll have a winner.

3) Joe Cornish - He's been spending most of his time writing, but the guy knows how to direct, too. He directed a great cast (including a young John Boyega) and cool creature action with Attack the Block.

4) Jennifer Kent - Not sure if she'd be down with it, but after The Babadook, I'm definitey looking forward to her next film. The Babadook was a great character piece while featuring sharp, creepy visuals. A Godzilla film could use some of that.

5) Drew Goddard - Known mostly for his (great) screenplays, he did happen to direct one film a few years back -- The Cabin in the Woods. That was a wicked creature free-for-all, so why not do it again on a larger scale?

6) Jonathan Liebesman - I can't really say that he makes great films, but he certainly makes ones that look awesome. Of course, he's the guy behind Battle: Los Angeles and Wrath of the Titans, as well as the reboot for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Again, partnered with a solid screenplay, you'll have a great Godzilla film.

7) Louis Leterrier - Another guy who knows how to make a visually impressive film. He was the director behind Clash of the Titans, The Incredible Hulk, and Now You See Me.

8) Gary Shore - He directed Dracula Untold, another visually awesome film. He's also not busy with anything. *wink, wink*

9) Joon-ho Bong - I'm not sure if a Korean director would like to put their spin on a Japanese monster remade for American audiences, but The Host was an excellent monster flick and Bong's first English film, Snowpiercer, was absolutely superb.

10) Jan de Bont - Here's a curveball for you. de Bont began his career as a cinematographer and then exploded in the '90s as one of the best action film directors. Speed, Speed 2, Twister, and The Haunting were all visually pleasing and action-packed. Unfortunately, after he directed Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life in 2003, he disappeared. I'd personally love to see him return as a director and officially kicking off the new Monsterverse would be a great place to start.

Ohhhh André is an awesome choice. F*cking love troll hunter and a very film too (the guys in the electrical grid plant lol)

And I forgot to mention Goddard in my choices too, I also watched cabin the woods a few nights back again. Such a great film

Cornish is a intresting choice too, he's had some great moments in writing and obviously attack the block was a little gem, not seen pan.
I miss the Adam and joe show (show him and Adam Buxton started on and how he got in with edger wright, Simon pegg and nick frost - Buxton is the reporter who can't spell in hot fuzz and Cornish also did a cool behind the scenes on Shaun of the dead back in the day)

Edgar Wright would be interesting too but not sure he would do it. Would be very different for him

Some of the directors from the first two VHS films would be cool choices, especially The guy who did the raid film (his section in VHS 2 is incredible)

@tridon @Noodles @PunkNinja @Apollon @Flloydo
Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields to Write ‘Godzilla 2’ for Legendary (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2016/film/news/michael-dougherty-zach-shields-godzilla-2-writers-1201886928/
As Legendary expands its “Godzilla” and “King Kong” universe, the banner looks to have found a friendly face to steer the ship for the sequel to 2014’s “Godzilla.”

Sources tell Variety that Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields, who wrote “Krampus” for Legendary, are on board to pen the script for the next installment in the “Godzilla” franchise.

Sources have also indicated Legendary might be preparing to set up a writers room to help create the upcoming Godzilla-King Kong universe the company has planned since sending the distribution rights for “Kong: Skull Island” back to Warner Bros. after originally setting pic up at Universal.

Dougherty on Godzilla? Seriously?! That's amazing news!! :woot:
UPDATE: ‘Godzilla 2’ Will Be Directed By ‘Krampus’ Helmer Michael Dougherty
UPDATE: After we learned yesterday that Godzilla 2 would be scripted by Krampus writers Michael Dougherty andZach Shields, it turns out that one of them will also be directing. ScreenCrush reports Michael Dougherty will be directing Godzilla 2 as well. Legendary must have been very pleased with the work he turned in as the director of Krampus, which has some of the coolest horror monsters to hit the big screen in awhile.
:OMG: This is gonna be good! :hungry: :woot: :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo