Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray Box Set) (The Criterion Collection) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 25, 2019 (original) - January 20, 2020 (reprint)
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £149.99
Notes: Limited Edition - Region B Locked
41H7GPSdkzL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a unique set but I'd rather have had it in boxset form, maybe a Digipak of some sort than a large book. Doesn't really fit in the shelf anywhere unless you lay it across your other movies.

Plus the multiple films on single discs is a put off

"65 years ago on this day Godzilla 1954 (Gojira) was released in Japan. This film has gained a cultural impact and is regarded as one of the best Kaiju films ever made. 65 years later Godzilla has become one of the most loved pop culture icons."
1572794058325.png
1572794405644.png

Can't argue with that and as it's the Big G's 65th birthday today here's a look at him in all his glory from two different releases:-
Criterion
1572793297165.png

Toho Kingdom
1572793363182.png

does anyone knows if USA version is region free?
As far as I know, all Criterion US releases are locked to region A and Criterion UK releases are locked to region B, based on previous releases (obviously I don't have this in my hands).

anyone who ordered from Zoom have their order shipped?
No dispatch email from them yet and the listing is missing from their site

Last edited:
I cancelled my order from zoom on November 8th and ordered from Amazon.com when they had a price drop.

I received my cancelled order from zoom last Monday and I'm waiting for them to reply to my customer complaint email!

I cancelled my order from zoom on November 8th and ordered from Amazon.com when they had a price drop.

I received my cancelled order from zoom last Monday and I'm waiting for them to reply to my customer complaint email!
What was the price drop to? I pre-ordered this at £135, if they don't honor it I'll be fuming

What was the price drop to? I pre-ordered this at £135, if they don't honor it I'll be fuming
Worked out about £90 delivered with exchange rate, then I got a £40 refund for some damage to the front cover.
Zoom charged me £135 and I'm still waiting to return it for a refund. Bloody cheek charging me weeks after cancelling the order. I'm not impressed with there customer service, still no reply a week and half after contacting them twice.

Reactions: davhyl

Ordered last Monday for £135 (couldn't get the code to work as a preorder for some reason) and arrived on Wednesday with no dispatch email. Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: davhyl
No details at the moment but Arrow are planning a set for Gamera (info from a poster on a Toho forum).

Arrow's Fran Simeoni confirms a Gamera set is forthcoming in the December issue of UK magazine Home Cinema Choice:
One of our big upcoming projects is a collection of Gamera films; many of these will be available for the first time in the UK and it’s going to be a real treat to see them all packaged together, with loads of extras and stunning packaging. We love working on boxsets and this is one of a few we have planned for 2020, including our [Alejandro] Jodorowsky collection.

So has this been released in the UK? I sent Zoom an email 2 weeks ago asking where my order was (assuming it was released same time as USA one), and no response. So, I've sent them another one this morning asking why I haven't had a reply.

Should I be kicking off or be patient and wait for a reprint or extra stock from the relisting?

• Wow
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
So has this been released in the UK? I sent Zoom an email 2 weeks ago asking where my order was (assuming it was released same time as USA one), and no response. So, I've sent them another one this morning asking why I haven't had a reply.

Should I be kicking off or be patient and wait for a reprint or extra stock from the relisting?

When did you order? I ordered on 25/11 (release day), if you ordered before then you really should have had it by now, if you ordered on or after release day it's possible they took more orders than what they had in stock. They seem to be terrible at replying to emails, maybe try contacting them on social media?

When did you order? I ordered on 25/11 (release day), if you ordered before then you really should have had it by now, if you ordered on or after release day it's possible they took more orders than what they had in stock. They seem to be terrible at replying to emails, maybe try contacting them on social media?
I ordered on 3rd September, I thought I'd be one of the first to receive it to be honest. I've just sent a message to their facebook. I'll wait until lunch tomorrow then call them

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Zoom have this back up for pre-order with a release date of Jan 20, 2020. So either it's a mistake or a reprint...

Also being restocked at HMV: