Hard Target (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

I think if this had been the extended cut that info would have been all over the internet. I doubt we'll even got a new master of the current cut. Just a workable HD transfer.

Well my copy arrived this morning and I'm pleased to say it's an excellent pressing. If it's an old master it's superb. The level of detail was noticeable right away and the 5.1 soundtrack is excellent. German or English soundtrack with optional German or English subtitles. When you select English soundtrack in the menu, you do not have to remove the subtitles. They do not appear. My only complain with this steelbook? That crap internal b/w image. Would rather have had nothing. than John Woe's grinning mug all over it. Nothing personal against him but I'd rather have an image from the film like say Van Damme on the bike heading towards the car. ....... The J card is a flimsy piece of paper which thankfully has no glue attached to it..... Overall very pleased except for the internal artwork. I suspect it'll be the same when it's released in other countries.

Reactions: EvilThing
Well my copy arrived this morning and I'm pleased to say it's an excellent pressing. If it's an old master it's superb. The level of detail was noticeable right away and the 5.1 soundtrack is excellent. German or English soundtrack with optional German or English subtitles. When you select English soundtrack in the menu, you do not have to remove the subtitles. They do not appear. My only complain with this steelbook? That crap internal b/w image. Would rather have had nothing. than John Woe's grinning mug all over it. Nothing personal against him but I'd rather have an image from the film like say Van Damme on the bike heading towards the car. ....... The J card is a flimsy piece of paper which thankfully has no glue attached to it..... Overall very pleased except for the internal artwork. I suspect it'll be the same when it's released in other countries.

Doubt this will be released in other countries as it it's Universal that distribute it in most other territories and not Koch Media.

If it does, I'd rather wait for one with the proper title on it.

It does look like the German blu ray is superior to the UK Amaray I own though.

German picture format is MPEG-4 compared to the UK's VC-1.

Also the German edition has both cuts of the film......

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=24162
Yeah, but the Uncut in Germany means it us just the "normal" cut from the U.S.
(It's like all those annoying UK editions that say "uncut" - when all they are doing is restoring it to its normal cut that they (the UK) had censored in the first place).
What people would like is the HARD TARGET extended cut that was out there on Bootleg copies.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: BluSteel2012
What people would like is the HARD TARGET extended cut that was out there on Bootleg copies.

And that is not going to happen. The original elements of the work print can't be located. I think the most complete version of the film is the PAL UK Laserdisc from 1997.
Certainly I will be comparing my laserdisc copy to the German blu-ray. A work print is usually only a SD copy for preview purposes but the sneak preview version of the film does have extra scenes not in the final R rated European/UK cut. They could be added in but at 99 minutes for the current version you're still way way short of the 128 minute version that was originally put together. Yes it would be nice to see it happen but unless the 35mm elements are located, you're more chance of seeing Power of the Daleks recovered!

And that is not going to happen. The original elements of the work print can't be located. I think the most complete version of the film is the PAL UK Laserdisc from 1997.
Certainly I will be comparing my laserdisc copy to the German blu-ray. A work print is usually only a SD copy for preview purposes but the sneak preview version of the film does have extra scenes not in the final R rated European/UK cut. They could be added in but at 99 minutes for the current version you're still way way short of the 128 minute version that was originally put together. Yes it would be nice to see it happen but unless the 35mm elements are located, you're more chance of seeing Power of the Daleks recovered!
Did you notice how SD (and workprint) elements never stopped Shout Factory?!:rofl:
For better or worse, it was kinda cool that SF would release extended cuts with workprint footage (alongside the HD cut). For the collector, that is a very cool thing to do.
I believe a German company also released Evil Dead 2 with multiple cuts that included SD and workprint footage as well. It's not for everybody, but being able to have a copy of an extended version (even with workprint footage) on a blu ray is nice.

But it's all academic. Don't see it happening unless Arrow or Criterion or some other vanity label take up the challenge. Certainly not going to happen with Universal....

But it's all academic. Don't see it happening unless Arrow or Criterion or some other vanity label take up the challenge. Certainly not going to happen with Universal....
Oh, I don't expect it to happen AT ALL! Ever!
Too small a film, not enough of a fan base to warrant it, etc.
The only way would be if Shout Factory just happened to have a massive fan of HT working there, AND John Woo allowed the workprint materials, AND Universal agreed.
So, yeah, Never seems about right.;)

I got both the workprint (128 min) the preview cut (116 min) The preview cut is preferred as the quality is slightly above watchable and is totally uncut

The workprint version (uncut and extra scenes) is totally unwatchable though.

I got both the workprint (128 min) the preview cut (116 min) The preview cut is preferred as the quality is slightly above watchable and is totally uncut

The workprint version (uncut and extra scenes) is totally unwatchable though.
Anything of any real interest cut from the 128 min version?

Fantastic Steelbook. Feels quality throughout. Full gloss finish and high-res artwork. Just a pity about that title (and inside art)...... :p

DSC05552 (Medium).JPG DSC05555 (Medium).JPG DSC05558 (Medium).JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: ariba266 and cooey
Zavvi to start releasing more Van Damme classic movies. They started with Kickboxer and that was it (apart from Streetfighter).