paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 16, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Eureka
Price: £19.99 (Amazon) - £22.99 (Zavvi) - £23.99 (Eureka)
Notes: Hardbound Slipcase - A Limited Edition 100-Page Collector’s book

12194417-1274683105197589.jpg 91Ti+8qnGbL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Eureka Entertainment to release the acclaimed masterpiece HIGH NOON, Fred Zinnemann’s iconic western starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly, available for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK from a 4K restoration, as part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 16 September 2019. Presented with a Limited Edition 100-page Collector’s Book and Limited Edition Hardbound Slipcase [3000 copies ONLY].

One of the most treasured Hollywood classics, and one of the most influential and iconic Westerns ever made, High Noon remains a powerful study of heroism, and the tension between the individual and the society around him. One of the best films by director Fred Zinnemann (From Here to Eternity) -- and produced by Stanley Kramer -- High Noon is riveting entertainment and an acknowledged American masterpiece, yet one with surprisingly tumultuous roots.

In his Oscar-winning performance, Gary Cooper stars as small town Marshal Will Kane, preparing to retire and leave town with his young bride Amy (Grace Kelly). However, plans are derailed with the impending arrival of outlaw Frank and his brutal gang. Unfolding in real time, High Noon follows Will as he futilely tries to assemble a posse with the reluctant townspeople, who want Will to forget about a conflict -- as does Amy, a Quaker pacifist who just wants to avoid violence. But as high noon approaches, Will realises he must do the moral thing...with or without help.
While the film has become a favourite of U.S. presidents from Eisenhower and Reagan to Clinton, its release was controversial: John Wayne (who had turned down the role) and Howard Hawks hated it, precisely because it was viewed as a thinly veiled allegory for the House Un-American Activities Committee hearings investigating communism at the time. Its politics make it even more intriguing now, but regardless, High Noon is one of the most important -- and gripping films -- of the 1950s

Limited Edition Features:

• Hardbound Slipcase
  • PLUS: A LIMITED EDITION 100-PAGE Collector’s book featuring new writing on the film; the original short story The Tin Star by John W. Cunningham; excerpts from writings and interviews with director Fred Zinnemann; archival articles and materials relating to the film
12194417-1274683105197589.jpg 12194417-1354683104673567.jpg

Blu-ray Features:

• 4K Digital Restoration
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Brand new and exclusive audio commentary by historian Glenn Frankel, author of High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic
  • Brand new and exclusive audio commentary by western authority Stephen Prince
  • New video interview with film historian Neil Sinyard, author of Fred Zinnemann: Films of Character and Conscience
  • A 1969 audio interview with writer Carl Foreman from the National Film Theatre in London
  • The Making of ‘High Noon’ [22 mins]– a documentary on the making of the film
  • Inside ‘High Noon’ [47 mins] and Behind ‘High Noon’ [10 mins] – two video pieces on the making and context of the film
  • Theatrical Trailer

The guy got around. If he wasn't fighting The Beast from 20 Thousand Fathoms, he was getting his arse shot off in The Good the Bad and the Ugly or annoying The Gunfighter......

my copy arrived last week. my only complaint is the same one I always say. Why say restored from a 4k master and not give us a 4k release. Surpiria proves 4k is possible for an old film so why not give us a 4k/blu-ray combo....

Limited Edition is OOP
Sold out all retailers third party sellers only

Standard edition is been released in March 2020

my copy arrived last week. my only complaint is the same one I always say. Why say restored from a 4k master and not give us a 4k release. Surpiria proves 4k is possible for an old film so why not give us a 4k/blu-ray combo....
To expensive for likes of Eureka to do 4K UHD on their own
This is not a film that would sell lot of 4K UHD discs
Not enough sales of 4K UHD discs to be financially viable due to the minimum amount of discs required to do a 4K UHD print run they be left with lot of unsold stock

4K UHD Discs market share is still tiny compared to DVD and Blu-ray

Only way Eureka could do 4K UHD would be if costs was shared between other distributor labels in other countries with print run shared but that means less profit on a release for a distributor
Independent distributors 4K UHD releases the few that have happened was shared costs and print runs done with high demand films that would sell well

Kino Lorber cancelled plans for Dollars Trilogy 4K UHD release due to not been financially viable at the moment
Kino will consider a release when market share of 4K UHD disc sales get's lot better than it is at the moment

There is a reason why most 4K UHD releases are mostly from film studios themselves and not from independent distributors

happy days. :) had this a while, but as no in-hand shots above, so see below :Snap: if you're interested in knowing what this one looks like inside! :watch:

this release is, like a few of Eureka!'s other releases recently, is about the same size as some of the slightly smaller premium international sellers and in their usual sturdy box with the usual excellent, extensive booklet. unsealed front and back:

once opened, these are your slip, amaray and booklet covers (usual Eureka back 'art' :p):
stripped of the j-card, the front cover is great. i like a title-less cover if it's done right, and this is pretty iconic :thumbs::

the spine benefits from being all one colour. some other Eureka! releases have that alternate colour for the release number: it looks better when its the same colour. also click below spoiler for the full back creds:
the amaray has alternate/reversible read and black cover versions of one of the original release posters. pics of both covers and disc:
finally, the booklet is another 90 page :wow: special from Eureka!, filled wth articles, interviews, essays and original release posters. i think they, Arrow and PowerHouse do the best booklets. they are actually worth a read :bookworm::
yet another great, cinephile's release of a stone cold classic from Eureka! restoration is good, with a much better range of greyscale. and the film remains a brilliant, brutal tale of a man who has to do what he does - even if no-one else will help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Scraggy and Noodles
Really regret cancelling my order for this... not that I had any choice though, as I was skint at the time. Great looking edition!