History Book Discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Chime in if you're reading a book about history and love it!

Attachments

• History.jpeg
    History.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: PunkNinja and Rowan
Been reading some Ben Macintyre a british author.

Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Betrayer, Hero, Spy. about a former uk cirminal hired by the germans as a spy turn to the british became a double agent great read, only englishman to ever win the iron cross, a very good read about the anti-bond. Chapman is a true spying legend.
Also
Operation Mincemeat: The True Spy Story that Changed the Course of World War II.
About the disinformation towards the germans during ww2 to make them believe that the allies wanted to invade greece and sardinia, another brilliant read showing how important every detail is.

Yes. Chapman was an intriguing man. Funny enough i saw a late sixties or
early seventies movie about him only a couple of day's ago. Starred Christopher Plummer. Apparently he was recruited in Jersey, (Channel Islands, which are off the French coast) which is just across the water from where i am in Guernsey. He took a holiday after a heist to let thing's cool off, got picked up and thrown in the nick, and then the Jerries bloody well invaded. Went to work for them because only way out at the time! I'll check out the written version.

70 year's.

It's 70 year's since the allies hit the beaches in Normandy. I hope most people are aware of that fact. Probably not is the answer. However, truth's don't change, whatever spin revisionist's hang on history. If you want a brilliant, erudite telling of that event, look no further than Anthony Beevor's ( yea, i know, tough moniker to live up to) D Day, (the landing's and subsequent battle of the bocage). I think he is probably the greatest living authority on WWII.

A bright Shining LIE.

Being an immense contribution to the historical narrative by ex New York Times reporter, and Pulitzer/national book award winner Neil Sheehan. (1988)
This is not the place to discuss the right's and WRONG'S of political paranoia
that leads to conflict.
If you want a definitive book, heart felt narrative backed up by cold truth's,
then this is your way into trying to understand the tragedy that was the war in Vietnam.