HMV Canada closes all its Canadian stores

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
From
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/27/hmv-canada-undergoing-nationwide-closures

TORONTO — An Ontario Superior Court of Justice approved an application to place HMV Canada Inc. into receivership on Friday.

HUK 10 Ltd., which lent money to the struggling chain, filed the application to the court Thursday.

It claimed HMV owes it nearly $39 million and has received no cash payments since Nov. 2014.

HMV would require between $2 million and $5 million annually in cash to stay open, according to court filings, and the company was losing $100,000 a day as customers turned towards online media in recent years.

Senior Justice Geoffrey B. Morawetz approved the application and appointed Gordon Brothers Canada ULC and Merchant Retail Solutions ULC as the agent to sell HMV’s remaining merchandise.

Legal documents state that closing stores must cease operations by April 30.

HMV operates 102 stores in Canada and employs about 1,340 people, most of them at its retail locations.​
hmv.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlienKing and kaw
The only three stores that I have ever loved were Future Shop, Blockbuster, and HMV. With HMV closing, there will be no more Canadian stores to buy physical media (Best Buy and their two shelves of movies is a joke). This is heartbreaking for me... seriously. I'm devastated. :(

Reactions: kaw
@Drum18
Dang. Very sad. :(
Having good in-store places to buy physical media is going to get harder and harder.

...So now, for in store, its basically just Best Buy or Walmart?
If I go into any of my local BestBuy locations. The movies section is SO SMALL now. They barely have anything.
it's dying guys...

raining.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
@Drum18
Dang. Very sad. :(
Having good in-store places to buy physical media is going to get harder and harder.

...So now, for in store, its basically just Best Buy or Walmart?
If I go into any of my local BestBuy locations. The movies section is SO SMALL now. They barely have anything.
it's dying guys...

raining.gif

Yup. There's very little left now. And HMV always carried the obscure Blu-rays that you couldn't find anywhere else. You'll never find Criterion or Scream Factory at a Walmart. :arghh:

As much as I hate the fact that HMV is closing, it's happening no matter what, so I guess I'll drive around tomorrow and see what the HMVs around here have to offer. May be worth it to go after some Scream Factory releases.

Screenshot 2017-01-27 22.26.07.png

No f*cking way!!! This is soo sad. i had no idea they were doing so bad!

Yup. There's very little left now. And HMV always carried the obscure Blu-rays that you couldn't find anywhere else. You'll never find Criterion or Scream Factory at a Walmart. :arghh:
This is so true. I was at HMV last week (to pick up Train to Busan) and i saw a Hong Kong release!!! How obscure is that!!?? I didnt know what the movie was about so i didnt buy it, but i know its from HK because it had that golden bar at the top and everything was written in Chinese. Now our only choices are BB and WM? :cautious::ohno::banghead:

As much as I hate the fact that HMV is closing, it's happening no matter what, so I guess I'll drive around tomorrow and see what the HMVs around here have to offer. May be worth it to go after some Scream Factory releases.

View attachment 289212
As much as i hate it too, there's some items i'd pick up at 30% off. When we hit May/April, they might do 50% off but obviously the stock will be gone by then.

• Thanks
This was my place to go for records. I found out from my friend this morning during brunch. It's the end of another era. In Vancouver, it was a&b Sound, followed by Virgin Megastore (meh), FutureShop (still crying over that!) and now HMV. Feel sorry for the employees. Spoke to one this afternoon at the Robson location and he said that they've gone through bankruptcy, etc before, but this time it really was the end. Sure, pricing wasn't always the best, but to be able to go into a physical store and talk with the employees was always a pleasure.

canadianRetailers.png

Last edited:
No f*cking way!!! This is soo sad. i had no idea they were doing so bad!

This is so true. I was at HMV last week (to pick up Train to Busan) and i saw a Hong Kong release!!! How obscure is that!!?? I didnt know what the movie was about so i didnt buy it, but i know its from HK because it had that golden bar at the top and everything was written in Chinese. Now our only choices are BB and WM? :cautious::ohno::banghead:

As much as i hate it too, there's some items i'd pick up at 30% off. When we hit May/April, they might do 50% off but obviously the stock will be gone by then.

I just went today. Blu-rays were only 10% off right now. CDs were 20% off. All apparel and equipment was... no discount. ??? I told them the website says up to 30% off everything in-store, but yeah... no discount. Maybe they were just (rightfully) angry about losing their jobs, so didn't care to help too much. That said, if you have a Pure card, they're putting the points towards discounts off your entire purchase. I got $50 off thanks to all of my points. :thumbs:

This was my place to go for records. I found out from my friend this morning during brunch. It's the end of another era. In Vancouver, it was a&b Sound, followed by Virgin Megastore (meh), FutureShop (still crying over that!) and now HMV. Feel sorry for the employees. Spoke to one this afternoon at the Robson location and he said that they've gone through bankruptcy, etc before, but this time it really was the end. Sure, pricing wasn't always the best, but to be able to go into a physical store and talk with the employees was always a pleasure.

I'd add Blockbuster to that list (unless you're talking only records/music). I miss that place, too. :(

I just went today. Blu-rays were only 10% off right now. CDs were 20% off. All apparel and equipment was... no discount. ??? I told them the website says up to 30% off everything in-store, but yeah... no discount. Maybe they were just (rightfully) angry about losing their jobs, so didn't care to help too much. That said, if you have a Pure card, they're putting the points towards discounts off your entire purchase. I got $50 off thanks to all of my points. :thumbs:
I'd add Blockbuster to that list (unless you're talking only records/music). I miss that place, too. :(

Didn't add Blockbuster since it wasn't really a retail shop of electronics, movies and music in one location and more of a rental place, but noted! ... I only signed up for purehmv last year so only got $13 gift card for my points. I am hoping that the order I placed on January 13th will still be honoured since it hasn't arrived at the local store yet when I checked with them.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Didn't add Blockbuster since it wasn't really a retail shop of electronics, movies and music in one location and more of a rental place, but noted! ... I only signed up for purehmv last year so only got $13 gift card for my points. I am hoping that the order I placed on January 13th will still be honoured since it hasn't arrived at the local store yet when I checked with them.

Cheers!

Ah, fair enough. I bought movies and games from Blockbuster all the time, but yeah -- not much for other electronics. And $13 isn't too bad considering you just got a Pure card last year. Hopefully you receive your order from them.

Reactions: Shadow of Light
I stopped by HMV to check this out and yea 10% blurays. I tried to talk to one of them and like you said, the staff wasnt in the right mood. I tried to talk to another and he explained how website says "up to 30% off" and that's why. And that their posters are 30% off. I also asked him what's gonna happen to the staff and he just shrug.

• Thanks
I can not be sad about this. All steels I bought from them (GB or in store) were damaged.... this is their punishment imo ;)

Now we only need zavvi to just GO and than poor quality should be gone 4ever :)

I stopped by HMV to check this out and yea 10% blurays. I tried to talk to one of them and like you said, the staff wasnt in the right mood. I tried to talk to another and he explained how website says "up to 30% off" and that's why. And that their posters are 30% off. I also asked him what's gonna happen to the staff and he just shrug.

I almost bought a couple of those cool canvas pictures because they're 30% off, too, but I decided not to because I don't have wall space. I just don't understand how the shirts and headphones and record players had no discount at all when I asked. Maybe I was just asking an unpleasant person? Did you happen to hear if there was a discount on that stuff?

I feel so bad for those people, though. I do I ask about discounts when I know they just lost their job? :(

1st FutureShop, now this? :( My condolences go out to my Ninja Brothers and Sister up North :thumbs:

Thanks, bud. It royally sucks. I literally saw a mini-protest in one HMV on Saturday that was against millennials and how they're killing all these businesses with their digital-only philosophy. Everything good must come to an end... I was just hoping it'd be after my lifetime. (n)

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
I can not be sad about this. All steels I bought from them (GB or in store) were damaged.... this is their punishment imo ;)

Now we only need zavvi to just GO and than poor quality should be gone 4ever :)

This is just HMV in Canada that's closing down. It was one of the only stores left in Canada to buy physical movies and music from.