Interstellar - In theaters November 7, 2014

Jan 25, 2012
Piraeus, Greece
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Interstellar

Tagline: Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, Mackenzie Foy, Casey Affleck, John Lithgow, Wes Bentley, David Gyasi, Matt Damon, Topher Grace, Timothée Chalamet, David Oyelowo, William Devane, Josh Stewart, Collette Wolfe, Leah Cairns, Russ Fega, Lena Georgas, Jeff Hephner, Elyes Gabel, Brooke Smith, Liam Dickinson, Francis X. McCarthy, Andrew Borba, Flora Nolan, Griffen Fraser, William Patrick Brown, Kristian Van der Heyden, Joseph Oliveira, Ryan Irving, Alexander Michael Helisek, Benjamin Hardy

Release: 2014-11-05

Runtime: 169

Plot: The adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 330
This is a movie I can see seeing twice in the theaters. For a 3 hour movie i think i looked at my watch once, probably with only about 20 minutes left

heavy spoilers do not open unless you have seen the movie
I loved the robots, I did think one of them was going to turn into hal

though I will say my intuition did tell me that they were communicating with themselves as cooper suggested and I kind had a feeling that cooper was the one communicating with the bookshelf as well as the videos of the older people being people that were 'saved' and not doomed people

Reactions: rover
Truly an incredible movie. Really tugs at the emotional heartstrings. Take some tissues with you. You'll need it. Both my missus and I cried.

Reactions: RekLess
Just got out of the theater. Really wasn't sure what to make of it at first. I couldn't decide if it was going to be one of my favorite movies ever, or just other movie. There's definitely no mistaking it for any other director than Christopher Nolan. He has that unique feel. There were a lot of moving parts and things that I was unsure of at first, but after reading the plot to confirm things, it made more sense and I found myself loving it that much more. It's probably the one film that makes me think about it during and after it ends more than any other film I can remember. It will definitely require another viewing, but this is a film I will definitely get on release day and hopefully there's a big time steelbook release for this because it is truly something special.

It had so many emotional aspects that just tugged at all the feels. Also very visually stunning. And not to be outdone by the acting performances. The McConaissance is still very much in full swing. Dude deserves another Oscar for this. Jessica Chastain also deserves a Supporting Actress nod.

I'd give this five stars personally.

I have read so many reviews that drag this film through the mud and the person that went with me kind of went, "Meh, it's okay." I absolutely loved it. I tried to go in with no expectations, and I think that helps. It was very emotional, but I also think it is definitely very cool visually. People try to pick apart the plot and the science of the movie, but I guess I'm one of those people who just clicks with Christopher Nolan movies and understands exactly what he's going for.

Well I saw this 15perf 70mm IMAX format at Odeon Manchester.

I really enjoyed it, I consider IMAX is perfect for space and sci-fi movies and this proved it.

Thoroughly enjoyable musical score, absolutely gripping with intensity at times, creating such a tense atmosphere.

The plot was good as was the acting, for me, I would say it's my movie of the year, having watched it in IMAX. Great work!

To those moaning about plot, you really should steer clear of Spiderman, Superman, Marvel movies etc, I would recommend a factual documentary. ;)

For those wishing to be immersed for a few hours and left thinking afterwards, this one is for you. :)

Well I saw this 15perf 70mm IMAX format at Odeon Manchester.

I really enjoyed it, I consider IMAX is perfect for space and sci-fi movies and this proved it.

Thoroughly enjoyable musical score, absolutely gripping with intensity at times, creating such a tense atmosphere.

The plot was good as was the acting, for me, I would say it's my movie of the year, having watched it in IMAX. Great work!

To those moaning about plot, you really should steer clear of Spiderman, Superman, Marvel movies etc, I would recommend a factual documentary. ;)

For those wishing to be immersed for a few hours and left thinking afterwards, this one is for you. :)
Yep, Zimmer said that he was going for something different than the Dark Knight feel that people sort of associate him with now. You can still tell that the score is Hans Zimmer, but it did have a very unique feel--in the best possible way.

I'm really glad that I went into this almost completely blind. It was a trip. I've liked Nolan as a director ever since he captained one of my favorite movies ever (TDK), but I had no idea that he could also write. I like sci-fi, but I don't love it--know what I mean?--but this was just something to experience. Of course the entire thing has that Nolan touch. His very distinct style. And who is this Hoyte van Hoytema? I would have preferred another dose of Pfister, but Hoytema did an admirable job as cinematographer.

Can't wait for a second theatrical viewing.

Just got back from watching this.
It's Nolan's most ambitious and visually amazing film to date, and something that, when we look back on in a decade's time, we'll think "can't believe he got that made". The overall narrative arc, MM's performance and the soundtrack are very good. The space sequences and the cinematography on the planets is incredible.
But like most of Nolan's films, it suffers due to a lack of editing and emotional over-indulgence towards the end. What surprised me was how poor some parts of the script were; maybe the Nolans' are just shaking of the superhero cobwebs.
Overall, I think it's a great film. 8.5/10. About level with Fincher's Gone Girl except I will watch it again.
But probably won't get in to my Nolan favourites (Memento, Prestige & DK Trilogy).

Rover

thought this was interesting

and related to the movie, hoping someone can clear it up

still trying to figure out the 51 year time jump or essentially when that occurred

the timeline above doesn't really do a good job for me in explaining that

still trying to figure out the 51 year time jump or essentially when that occurred

the timeline above doesn't really do a good job for me in explaining that
I'm trying to remember the 51 year jump.
Narratively, when does it occur? Or when do you think it happens?

Rover

after they touch down on the first planet they age 23 years relative to earths side of the wormhole, then there is another jump of approximately 50 some years after he gets out of the black hole and gets picked up by the rangers near saturn

there is a decent graphic here
http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg

MgwWMFU.jpg

but still does not explain coopers aging, but now that i think about it, cooper in his own way does not age much more than 2 years

also why was the space station waiting for him, like they know to be there to find him?

after they touch down on the first planet they age 23 years relative to earths side of the wormhole, then there is another jump of approximately 50 some years after he gets out of the black hole and gets picked up by the rangers near saturn
Right. I've only seen it once so I'm trying to remember and fit my memory with the graph up top.
I think if you look at the markings on the timeline, it shows 2 Earth Years until wormhole, 23 EYs on Miller's planet, <1 EY on Mann's, 67 EYs in Gargantua.
Cooper did say that using Gargantua's pull, 51 EYs would elapse for Brand to get to Edmund's planet. So by the time Cooper meets up with his daughter, Brand would have set up the base and Cooper station would be on the way to Edmund's planet?
This confirms that I need to watch the film again!

My longer review of Interstellar:

My God! It's full of stars!
That quote is from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but it's certainly apt for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the ensemble cast. The headliners did an exemplary job, but kudos must definitely go to Mackenzie Foy (who played young Murph), Timothee Chalamet (who played the adolescent Tom) and Casey Affleck (who plays the adult version of Tom) as well as the actors who voiced the robots, TARS and CASE. I never got to see Stanley Kubrick's landmark film in the theater (I wasn't born at the time), but having watched it later in life, and having watched Interstellar, I got a sense of deja-vu. Lastly, stars refers to the vastness of space and its beauty, which Christopher Nolan and his cinematographer, Hoyte van Hoytema gave us in spades. Trust me when I say that you will marvel at the phenomenon known as Gargantua.

Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.
No, Sir, it most definitely was not. While the harshness of space is briefly touched upon in the conversation between Cooper and Romilly, to which Cooper responds, "Some of the best 'round the world sailors don't know how to swim.", it's flat out exhibited in Gravity how scary and uninhabitable it can be. Humanity has always been explorers, from Polynesian sailors of centuries past to present day extreme sportsmen and sportswomen, scientists, adventurers, etc. We've always had the need to overcome, to push beyond our limits. This is explored in great detail in the film, albeit it in situations of great adversity. That gritty determination to never give up is represented very early on in the film by Murph. Her character is as much the lynch pin on Earth as Cooper is in space. Both never give up. Both are extremely determined. Both are extremely stubborn. It's that attitude that has allowed Humanity to progress from one technological / medical / scientific / literary / Renaissance marvel to another. In Interstellar, we witness the ultimate marvel of a species being able to save themselves from extinction. It's said in numerous scenes that gravity (the force) is present in all dimensions, however small or great. Gravity also represents being grounded, in your personality, in a particular situation. It's no coincidence that Cooper's ship is called the Endurance. The one person who was anything but grounded was Dr Mann (ably portrayed by Matt Damon). Incidentally, I didn't expect his cameo (if I can call it that).

I watched the behind-the-scenes feature where Nolan, Kip Thorne and others discuss how they created and filmed the black hole. One image really stood out for me; the one where Kip is busy writing the equations on how to defeat gravity, with Jessica Chastain smiling in the background. I have no doubt that those equations pertained to either Kip's theories or graphical algorithms for lighting and filming Gargantua. It's this attention to detail that really impresses me about Nolan's movies.

Nolan also studiously avoids letting us know how far into the future this story takes place on Earth. We don't see too many improvements in technology. If anything, humanity is actually regressing (as evidenced by the scene in school where Cooper says that if there was an MRI machine left, it would've diagnosed the cyst in his wife's brain).

We're still pioneers, we barely begun. Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, cause our destiny lies above us.
The problem that Professor Brand and Murph struggle with is one that has plagued mathematicians and astrophysicists for decades; how to send Humanity to the stars, en masse. When I was in senior Primary and later, junior High School, I used to always marvel at artists' Utopian illustrations of Humanity exploring the stars. What Nolan has given us is something that is, while far from Utopian (except at the way-station at Saturn where Cooper is rescued), it is no less noble and magnificent. Make no mistake, this is an incredible story, and it's brilliantly told by Nolan and his team. For a film of this subject matter, it would've been so easy for him to alienate his audience, but he ensures that we have a basic understanding of time dilation, gravity and 5th-dimension Tesseracts.

I've noticed that Nolan, in his last 2 films (The Dark Knight Rises and this film) explores the theme of Humanity rising above itself. I'm not sure if he's mellowing out (if I can call it that), but I definitely like it.

Touching upon the performances of the cast, it's hard not to single out Matthew McConaughey and Jessica Chastain (and to a lesser extent, Ellen Burstyn) for the 2 scenes that really pulled (not tugged) at my heartstrings; the first is where Cooper arrives back from Dr Miller's planet and reviews the transmissions from Earth, of an adult Murph and Tom. His emotion is so raw and...honest, that I couldn't help but feel his pain as both a parent and a son. Leaving behind his daughter under less than ideal circumstances really cut home. That scene destroyed me, as a parent of a 5-year old who is every bit as stubborn as young Murph. The second poignant scene for me was where Cooper meets an elderly Murph, who is close to dying, and she tells him that a parent should never have to see their child die. It's especially sad as he only knew her up to 10 years and no more.

I watched Interstellar once in IMAX, in a Dolby Atmos equipped theater. Hans Zimmer's score was different to what he normally does for other film, as it should be as this film charts uncharted territory. There were times though, where I felt that his score overwhelmed scenes and I couldn't hear what was being spoken. A lighter touch would've been better served. For the trailer(s), Thomas Bergersen's (one half of Two Steps From Hell) beautiful, haunting music from his album, Sun was used. It's especially fitting that the chosen track was called Final Frontier.

I will want to watch Interstellar again in a movie theater. I'm sure that I'll be able to pick up additional story elements. I will also be purchasing the film in an almost assured Steelbook(TM) release. If McConaughey is not (at least) nominated for a Best Actor Oscar, then there's no justice in the World.

Reactions: Poitvd
but still does not explain coopers aging, but now that i think about it, cooper in his own way does not age much more than 2 years

also why was the space station waiting for him, like they know to be there to find him?
Do you mean that Cooper is not aging much?
No, I don't think Cooper ages himself except for the 2 years he spends travelling from Earth to the first planet. The reason is the way the film chooses to use Einstein's Theory of Relativity & Simultaneity ... In Cooper's time/reference phase, the whole journey only takes 2-3 years. But from Earth's reference phase, it obviously takes much much longer.

Re: the space station. Firstly, I don't even know what it is, or how it can exist lol. Is it Murph using the black hole constant to manipulate space? I don't know. But if they're smart enough to create a space station like that, I'm sure they'd be able to calculate and monitor the blackhole's activity.

On the diagram in your post, it says that Cooper & TARS travel back through the blackhole ... why and how?Gargantua is a blackhole, not a wormhole. It doesn't go from one place to another, it's just a sucker of matter? That's one idea I disagree with, and choose to believe that both Cooper and the space station are heading to the third planet to re-establish the human race .. Cooper just wants to get there quicker to comfort Brand. I really want someone to prove me wrong.

@rover

I don't necessarily think that cooper and TARS go back in time, when they enter the black hole they also enter the teseract which is where the future humans placed it. The teseract is a construct of murhs room throughout all time It essentially makes time a measurable object, so cooper is able to communicate with murph at any point, making him the ghost. I imagine if he moved around the teseract he could have seen much further into the future.

Its just when they exit the black hole that an extra 50 or so earth years have passed, but I guess for cooper passing through the black hold only took minutes? a day? a year? tops

I think it is starting to make a bit more sense for me

@rover

I don't necessarily think that cooper and TARS go back in time, when they enter the black hole they also enter the teseract which is where the future humans placed it. The teseract is a construct of murhs room throughout all time It essentially makes time a measurable object, so cooper is able to communicate with murph at any point, making him the ghost. I imagine if he moved around the teseract he could have seen much further into the future.

Its just when they exit the black hole that an extra 50 or so earth years have passed, but I guess for cooper passing through the black hold only took minutes? a day? a year? tops

I think it is starting to make a bit more sense for me
I like your first sentence, which is true. I'm assuming we see Cooper's actions in the teseract in real time, so it only takes a few minutes for him.
The extra 50-60 years is I think due Cooper & Brand's proximity to the Blackhole which they use to slingshot to the third planet. That's why they didn't want to go to Edmund's planets before Mann's .. because they would lose more Earth Years travelling too close to the Blackhole. IMO Cooper & Brand lose similar amounts of Earth Years passing the Blackhole.
That's my interpretation of what happens to Brand & Cooper. There's a lot of people online commenting about different timelines, but I don't remember any evidence of that.

This is why I love Nolan's films. He does his job to tell a story, and leave the world building up to us lol.
Interstellar is also a continuation of the theme of Time, which Nolan has used in Memento, The Prestige & Inception. I wonder why that concept fascinates him so much.

I went and watched it tonight. I thought I knew what was going on bar one or 2 things, but after reading through some of your spoilers, you lot have me baffled even more! Lol I really enjoyed it, and definitely need to see it again. Now give me that steelbook!