Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
iMore

ios_7_home_screen_bamboo_hero.jpg

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT APPLE'S UPCOMING IOS 7, INCLUDING A COMPLETELY NEW DESIGN LANGUAGE, NEW MULTITASKING, NEW CONTROLS, NEW APPS, AND MORE!​

iOS 7 compared to previous iOS tent-poles

ios_version_chart_2013.png

iOS 7 design gets objectified, gamified, dynamic

The iOS 7 design discussion has been distracted by Home screen icons, glyph weighting, and typeface choices, and it's a shame because, while absolutely important, it's also superficial and the real changes, the real break-through of iOS 7 is all below the surface. Apple has built a physics and particle engine to power iOS 7, they've turned interface elements into objects and increased the already stellar support for direct manipulation. They've gamified huge swathes of the experience, so that interactions can be even more easily discovered by play, and even more delightful in use. They've made it dynamic so it's no longer dead pixels stuck under glass, but it angles, collides, and bounces. It moves. It breathes. It's alive. So much so I think, for the first time in a long time, the future of human interface is starting to become clear.

Lock screen gains access to notifications, controls, some confusion

ios_7_lock_screen_hero.jpg

The Lock screen exists in some between-space, where your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad are no longer off or asleep, but nor are they fully awake and functional yet. With iOS 7, however, Apple has greatly increased the Lock screen's functionality, mainly by giving it access to Notification Center and the new Control Center, while retaining its own notifications and fast Camera access.

Gestures controls, consistency, and collision

ios_7_mail_gestures_iphone_hero.jpg

iOS 7 continues Apple's long history of gesture-based controls, some system-wide like the new swipe up from the bottom bezel to open Control Center, and some app (or multi-app) specific, like the new swipe right from the left bezel to travel back to the list views in Mail or Messages. Gesture controls can be tricky, however. If not direct they can be hard to discover, if not consistent they can be hard to habituate, and if not carefully considered they can collide and conflict with each other, both system-wide and app specific.

Control Center promises quick access to all your most common toggles

control_center_iphone_hero.jpg

Quick access to system-level toggles has been one of the most constant, consistent power-user feature requests -- nay, demands -- for years now. Everything from jailbreak apps like SBSettings to iOS 6's brief flirtation with URL Schemes for Settings made it a must-have on every geek list, come every Apple iOS keynote. And now, with iOS 7 and Control Center, it's finally a reality.

Notification Center gets new Today screen, predictive traffic info, and more

ios_7_notification_center_hero.jpg

Notification Center debuted in iOS 5 as way to quickly, easily see all your system and push alerts in one, unified place. Far less obtrusive than the original, modal iOS alert system, better looking if not as feature-rich as the Android or webOS notification centers that preceded it, Notification Center was a first step towards Apple better handling all the alerts all of us now get all day. With iOS 7, Apple has taken another... half step forward.

Multitasking for every app, coalesced and just-in-time

ios_7_multitasking_hero.jpg

iOS 7 finally brings multitasking to everyone on the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. And by everyone, I mean every app, at practically any time. Of course, iOS has always had fantastic multitasking. From the very first demo of the very first iPhone by Steve Jobs in 2007, its ability to fade music out, take a phone call, grab a picture and email it, then return to the phone call, hang up, and fade right back into the music seemed miraculous to the crash-prone competition of the time. Thanks to some system-side smarts, however, it looks like iOS 7 will make good on the multitasking promise while at the same time protect battery life and performance. If they can do it, they'll be the first to really nail multitasking on mobile.

Camera gains real-time filters, and... a square

ios_7_camera_filters_hero.jpg

The Camera app has gotten the same design makeover as the rest of iOS 7, but Apple also managed to sneak in a few new features as well. First is, um,Square mode. The second is Filters. The bigger news, however, is what was taken away, including the signature shutter animation and button treatments are gone.

Photos automagically filters your life into collections, moments, and more

ios_7_photos_hero.jpg

Just like its partner, the Camera app, the iOS 7 Photos app is newly redesigned, including not only all the new filters, but a newer, smarter way to organize all the photos that previously clogged up our Camera Roll - years, collections, and moments. Add to that a far more social version of Photo Stream, and things are fast approaching picture perfect.

AirDrop lets you easily share your stuff, no bumping needed

ios_7_airdrop_hero.jpg

With iOS 7, Apple's peer-to-peer, ad-hoc Wi-Fi file transfer protocol, AirDrop comes to the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. Originally introduced on the Mac with OS X 10.7 Lion, and attached to the Finder to allow anyone to beam any file or folder to anyone else with in range, the iOS version doesn't have a user-facing filesystem to work such universal wonders with, but it does have a great-looking interface, and incredibly easy point of access thanks to Control Center and Share sheets.

Safari amps up search, tabs, sharing, reading, security and more!

ios_7_safari_hero.jpg

Safari is one of the most important apps on iOS, and so it's not surprising it gets one of the biggest redesigns in iOS 7. The gateway to the web on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, Apple finally gives it a unified search bar, along with some slick new social features, a better reading list, and an all-new, all awesome new tab interface that really shows off the new design language of iOS 7. Also added is an incredibly important set of new features - the ability to generate, store, and fill passwords.

Siri gets a new look, access to settings, more services, still no predictive results

ios_7_siri_hero.jpg

Apple introduced Siri, their personal digital assistant, in iOS 5 as a secondary, natural language interface for the iPhone, and later iPad, and iPod touch. With iOS 7, Apple has continued to add new partner-based services, but also given Siri its first redesign. Gone is the linen and beautifully rendered sports, movie, and other widgets, and in their places is the starker design language and feel that permeates the rest of system.

App Store gets location-based popularity, goes kid-friendly

ios_7_app_store_kids_hero.jpg

The App Store debuted with iOS 2 (iPhone OS 2), and over the years added genius recommendations, card-based search, and more. Now, in addition to a complete visual make-over in iOS 7, it's also getting in on the location game with Apps Near Me, and finally - yes, finally - adding a kids category for children of all ages.

Find my iPhone activation lock aims to keep out the crooks

ios_7_activation_lock_hero.jpg

Find my iPhone - also referred to as Find my iPod or Find my iPad on those devices - has always been a great way to help you find your phone or tablet under a sofa, in another room, or even at a restaurant, coffee shop, theater, or similar public place. It's been great for lost devices. Stolen devices, not so much. Now, with iOS 7, Apple is addressing theft with what they hope is a powerful new deterrent - activation lock.

FaceTime audio for when you want to be heard but not seen

ios_7_facetime_audio_phone_hero.jpg

Apple's FaceTime is a built-in way for anyone on a recent iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or Mac to quickly, easily make and receive video calls. It's been a boon to long distance families and relationships, traveling lovers and parents, and those who use sign language alike. Sometimes, however, you're just not dressed, styled, or simply in the mood to be seen. While there's always been a workaround to kill the FaceTime camera, with iOS 7 Apple is, at long last, making FaceTime Audio its own, proper thing.

Phone, FaceTime, and Messages blocking promises to put an end to annoying contacts

ios_7_imessage_fake_hero.jpg

With iOS 7 Apple is adding the ability to block people from reaching - especially disturbing or otherwise harassing - you via the phone, FaceTime, and Messages. One of the downsides of the constant connectivity we enjoy on the iPhone is constant availability, and while it's annoying when people we know expect us to respond 2/47, it's even more annoying when wrong numbers or malicious people can reach us all day, every day.

iOS in the Car hints at the future of iOS everywhere

ios_7_ios_in_the_car_applehero.jpg

iOS in the Car isn't arriving this year with the rest of iOS 7. It's currently scheduled to arrive in 2014 instead, and that's because it requires the support of car companies, who have to enable the ability to receive it into their in-dash display systems. Traditionally Apple hasn't done as well when they have to depend on other companies, but the potential of iOS in the Car seems to go further than just the car. Indeed, it could provide our first hints of iOS everywhere, and that's incredibly exciting for 2014, and beyond. However, Apple touts 95% of car makers already include some form of iPod/iOS device integration, so what better place to start?

Big business gets big improvements

ios_7_business_hero.jpg

iOS 7 continues Apple's tradition of consistently improving and extending Enterprise support for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Previous years introduced such basic, core functionality as Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, and hardware encryptions.This year offers more specific additions that, never-the-less, might make a big difference to big business, both those who manage devices in IT, and who use them, in corporations and SMB alike.

Accessory support for iBeacons, game controllers, and more!

ios_7_game_controllers.jpg

iOS 7 will bring not only an entirely new design language to the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, along with powerful new APIs for app developers. But accessory makes are getting some great new features as well, and that means, presuming they take them and run with them, we'll be getting great new accessories that tie into our location, that let us get our game on, and that make our existing speakers, keyboards, and more work better than ever.

Inter-App Audio isn't contracts or intents, but is a start

ios_7_inter_app_audio.jpg

While full-on inter-app communications -- similar to Android's intents or Windows Phone's contracts -- were high up on many geek's iOS 7 must-have list, nothing of the sort was announced by Apple at WWDC 2013. Well, almost nothing. Apple has added inter-app communications to iPhone and iPad, they've just restricted to one very specific type: Inter-App Audio.

Sprite Kit and UIKit dynamics promise easier games, game-like apps

ios_7_sprite_kit.jpg

I've written a lot already about how Apple is changing the interface game by making iOS 7 not only objectified but gamified. It almost feels like you play it as much as you use it. The original iPhone's interface required good enough OpenGL support that it eventually birthed a mobile gaming empire. iOS 7's physics and particle engine -- rumored to have been built by a first-class gaming engineer who's work you've likely enjoyed, a lot -- seems poised to take all of this not only to the next level, but to the next generation. The reason for that is as simple as it is spectacular -- Apple's taken a lot of the new stuff behind their physical new interface, and bundled it together for developers as Sprite Kit.

And more!

It rolls out in four days people. Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! :oohyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: darczap
Man, something is draining the battery big time. Has anybody else had this issue? If so what did you do to fix it? I use to be able to go all day with very heavy usage by 6pm that evening I would only be down to 40%. Now it's only 2pm and it's all the way down to 30%. At this rate it'll be drained in another couple of hours. :angry:

We'll yesterday by the end of the day it dropped to 7% battery level by 5pm. :angry: Strange enough though today it's 12 noon and it's down to 74% so it's a little better. Hrm I guess we'll see as the day pushes on. At least today I brought my charger just in case.

You might want to try turning off Background App Refresh on your iPad 3 to see if it helps.

I did that at the end of the first day, that's probably why by the second day it had improved battery life. iOS7 is definitely quiet a bit hoggier on the battery than iOS6. The new look and feel of iOS7 is really neat to say the least. I'm still toying with the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 seeing what all the new features are like. :thumbs:

iOS 7 is making the site run SUPER slow on my 4s using Safari. Seems to be working ok for Google Chrome. Any way to reverse the upgrade?

Last edited:
Well they just released another update yesterday. Version 7.0.2 which fixed a vulnerability in the lock screen allowing someone to bypass it is now fixed.

Personally I think it's OK, It's still going to take some getting used to though, it has a very simplified look and feel to it. I don't know if I like the quick launch bar though. I really liked the look of the shelf and now it's gone. The icons are more dynamic and colorful. In fact they seem to have twice as many colors to it, Apple must have increased the color palette.

The quick command center, the one where you swipe from the bottom upwards to access your quick commands. It's very convenient in most cases but I have noticed it can get in the way when using Safari and browsing the Internet. The notification center where you swipe down from the top is now full screen instead of a centralized bar where long sentences were wrapped or condensed which is a nice touch.

The iPad search feature used to be the screen furthest to the left is now gone. :LOL: Now you can access the search feature on any home page screen just by quickly swiping down anywhere on the main screen area.

I'd like to hear what other peoples views are on the new version 7. What say ye?