La La Land (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: May 15, 2017
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Amazon) - £22.99 (Zoom - Zavvi - HMV)
01-414309.jpg

02-414309.jpg
03-414309.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was just a nice sweet watch ! You could feel the WHIPLASH vibe on some parts when they play jazz(not the whole movie just some little parts).

Will rewatch this for sure. Infectious songs and Dance numbers. A movie with heart :drool:

Reactions: WKRP
As Planned, watched this movie again Tonight and I liked it even better the second time. Such a beautiful Movie.
The ending is sad when she is fantasizing at how her life would have been with him.

• Thanks
Reactions: FightingPhantom
As Planned, watched this movie again Tonight and I liked it even better the second time. Such a beautiful Movie.
The ending is sad when she is fantasizing at how her life would have been with him.
@Actarus
Funny, I interpreted it as HIS fantasy not Hers. Re-living all the moments they had, what he wished he done differently, and what could have been.
Who's to say it's not a shared fantasy?:whistle:;):happy:
Because I honestly like the idea that both of them are thinking about what might have been. It is sad for their love for each other, but it's happy because they both had their career dreams come true.

But it's costing you money. Both should be in there. No excuse from the studio or they should make it a point of making sure at least for steelbooks that they contain the blu-ray and 4k. So for example. Say X film is put out as a steelbook. It should be a blu-ray and 4k and the standard blu-ray version should be the blu-ray and DVD. That way the steelbook buyer is getting value for their money.

@Actarus
Funny, I interpreted it as HIS fantasy not Hers. Re-living all the moments they had, what he wished he done differently, and what could have been.

I guess it could be seen that way as it first started that he kissed her in the restaurant instead of pushing her aside, but when we were seeing ''what could have been'' it look so close to everything she had done like in the car turning for the restaurant, coming back from the restaurant to go to the Jazz Club. It is only her that has done this and it was in the fantasy. But in any case whether it is his or hers or shared it was sad... but still so beautiful

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
You're missing the point. At some stage you may upgrade to 4K and that's where it would come in useful. You're buying the blu-ray for HD so it makes sense to have another HD format that you may use at some stage than a SD format which you may never use or have given up on or why would you be buying the set to begin with. I'll bet 99.9% of people here rarely watch the DVD versions any more unless the DVD has something unique which is not on the blu-ray. The fact that the recent One Million Years Years BC is a steelbook blu-ray only release says it all.

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
Yes, most U.K. steelbook and Amaray releases nowadays no longer have the DVDs so prevalent in the early days when many releases - steelbooks and Amarays (particularly the Disney releases) - were Double Play or Triple Play. Notable exceptions nowadays being Eureka and Arrow both of which still insist on the DVDs in 99% of cases.

Now to futureproof these lovely steelbook releases with the addition of 4K discs (where available) and keep the prices at between GBP 18.99 and 24.99.

On the other hand most annoying when they print DVD on the spines of steelbooks when there are no DVDs inside . . . (TERMINATOR GENISYS and TED 2 - the one they put an ugly white sticker on to cover the DVD logo - as just two examples).

Last edited:
You're missing the point. At some stage you may upgrade to 4K and that's where it would come in useful. You're buying the blu-ray for HD so it makes sense to have another HD format that you may use at some stage than a SD format which you may never use or have given up on or why would you be buying the set to begin with. I'll bet 99.9% of people here rarely watch the DVD versions any more unless the DVD has something unique which is not on the blu-ray. The fact that the recent One Million Years Years BC is a steelbook blu-ray only release says it all.

One Million Years Years BC was released last year on Amaray with Slipcover included Blu-ray and DVD it's the same remastered video and extras
Same Blu-ray that's in the Steelbook

4K UHD is years away from been mainstream
Most of the public don't have need to change their HD 1080p TV or 1080p Blu-ray Player as most only purchased in last 4-6 years
Before that it was 1080i HD TV or 720p HD TV

1080p HD TV last over 10 years

No need for customers be forced into paying extra for a 4K UHD Blu-ray they wont be using for another 4-5 years
If they went 4K UHD Blu-ray only for films right now it would suffer from lack of sales

It's only customers who purchased a new TV in last 1-2 years that have 4K TV and some who like having the latest tech devices

Last edited:
we've already had steelbook releases that contain both blu-ray and 4k and the cost was the same as a normal steelbook.

Labyrinth £19
Jason Bourne £25
Suicide Squad $29.99
Fantastic Beasts $34.99
The Magnificent 7 $29.99
Underworld Blood Wars $29.99
The Huntsman Winter's War $19.99

And there are others out there so it's being done and at no extra cost to the buyer.

I have no Interest in 4K and Yes there is a premium in the pricing on the average 4K release. The titles that are same pricing are not the norm.
For now HD1080p Blu-rays provide me with amazing movie experience and right now I will support 3D releases as Opposed to 4K.
If it comes for free then it's fine by me, but I will not pay extra and will go out of my way to find an edition without paying extra for 4K.

I'm comparing steelbook prices with steelbook prices not to standard blu-ray sets. The 4k/ blu-ray prices are the same as the blu-ray/DVD prices for steelbooks.