Label/Sticker Removal

Thoth

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
United Kingdom
Hey guys!
Need some help.. any idea how to remove labels/stickers without damaging shrink wrap/cellophane?

Am talking about brand new games and not steelbooks. Reason is with steelbooks it's quite easy but the cellophane on new games could be prone to melting if using strong products.
I've ordered Goo Gone to give it a try but if anyone else knows a safe way please advise.

EDIT: And since we at it, any idea how to remove a security tag from the cellophane? Bought a sealed PS2 game to add to my collection and I do not wish to remove the cellophane but it has an annoying security tag right in the middle of the case. I reckon this would be a bit harder to remove than simple labels.

Hey guys!
Need some help.. any idea how to remove labels/stickers without damaging shrink wrap/cellophane?

Am talking about brand new games and not steelbooks. Reason is with steelbooks it's quite easy but the cellophane on new games could be prone to melting if using strong products.
I've ordered Goo Gone to give it a try but if anyone else knows a safe way please advise.

EDIT: And since we at it, any idea how to remove a security tag from the cellophane? Bought a sealed PS2 game to add to my collection and I do not wish to remove the cellophane but it has an annoying security tag right in the middle of the case. I reckon this would be a bit harder to remove than simple labels.
Are we talking price stickers etc? As normally these come off very easily, well have done in my experiences.

Security labels though are a different matter altogether, they are a nightmare to remove. Those little white strip ones seem to be the worst when it comes to removing them.

@Robles Attached photos. The big label I really wonder how it end up on the case :facepalm:
I'm a bit afraid of even trying to remove the security tag but maybe with a sharp razor blade to slide under? Although that might cut the cellophane..

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_224514.jpg
    IMG_20210131_224514.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20210131_224527.jpg
    IMG_20210131_224527.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20210131_224556.jpg
    IMG_20210131_224556.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 202
@Robles Attached photos. The big label I really wonder how it end up on the case :facepalm:
I'm a bit afraid of even trying to remove the security tag but maybe with a sharp razor blade to slide under? Although that might cut the cellophane..
That little security tag is the exact one I was on about, I hate them haha. I usually end up just taking the item out of its wrapper if it has one of these on.
They are difficult to get fully off as they are so damn sticky.
What the hell is that big white sticker in aid of :OMG: That and the other little ones might just come off with a damp rag. I've used a rag on them before and they normally come off pretty well :thumbs:

For sticky residue I find simple WD40 works well
For security tags - in my experience these are impossible to remove without taking a same size rectangular piece of shrinkwrap with it
For difficult to remove small labels - if they aren't too offensive maybe better to leave them be or if you must try to remove use the corner of a soft abrasive sponge slightly moistened with added washing-up liquid

Reactions: Robles
I've seen a video of someone removing security tags from game manuals without damaging the manuals.. but the stuff he was using was in the states and couldn't find it anywhere in UK.
I will try tho' with an alternative eventually. Got my Goo Gone the other day so as soon as I am off from work I will give it a try and let you know how it gone.

Reactions: Robles
I've seen a video of someone removing security tags from game manuals without damaging the manuals.. but the stuff he was using was in the states and couldn't find it anywhere in UK.
I will try tho' with an alternative eventually. Got my Goo Gone the other day so as soon as I am off from work I will give it a try and let you know how it gone.
I’m interested to know how this goes Mate :thumbs:

@Thoth I buy used games all the times so it comes with some nasty stickers from random stores. Someone here recommended me this and they work like magic. Obviously use the plastic ones haha.

And for any remaining residue after peeling off, this is perfect. I actually found it locally for much cheaper so you should check locally as well.
Oh and do not apply too much of that Goo Gone on slipcovers/slipboxes as it might remove certain type of paints. Light touch ups are fine; just enough to remove the residues.

@Thoth I buy used games all the times so it comes with some nasty stickers from random stores. Someone here recommended me this and they work like magic. Obviously use the plastic ones haha.

And for any remaining residue after peeling off, this is perfect. I actually found it locally for much cheaper so you should check locally as well.
Oh and do not apply too much of that Goo Gone on slipcovers/slipboxes as it might remove certain type of paints. Light touch ups are fine; just enough to remove the residues.

Am mostly only interested in a safe way to remove from sealed games/cellophane without burning through the wrapper.
I've read somewhere a way to remove stickers and glue from steelbooks using butter, basically just putting a piece of butter on the label and let it soften it up and melt into it. Works wonders for steelbooks and without risking to damage it haha

Am mostly only interested in a safe way to remove from sealed games/cellophane without burning through the wrapper.
I've read somewhere a way to remove stickers and glue from steelbooks using butter, basically just putting a piece of butter on the label and let it soften it up and melt into it. Works wonders for steelbooks and without risking to damage it haha
Yea that scotty peeler should help you in most cases and in other special/extreme cases i guess you just gotta try and have your own method

@Robles @AlienKing @virkia

So I finally had some time to try remove the stickers and labels.
Surprisingly the security tag came off easier than the massive label. For security tag just had to wedge in the plastic peeler and keep moving left/right and wedge it in keeping the solution under the tag. After removing the tag it had a double sided plastic glue thing in it's place. That thing came off much harder and require lots of patience not to damage the shrink wrap. But it came off eventually.

The massive label gave me headaches! I had to soak it like 3-4 times in Goo Gone and it still holding one. Managed to remove big piece of it but parts of it are still on the case. I gave up for the time being as I was getting high on the smell from Goo Gone and decided to stop for the day. My guess is that the big label was on the cellophane for a very long time and then it sat in the direct sunlight and stuck to the cellophane completely. I will give it another go when I feel like getting high again lol

Attachments

• IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • ba1dda80-c75a-4bd9-a725-13280923f009.JPG
    ba1dda80-c75a-4bd9-a725-13280923f009.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 149
Reactions: virkia and Robles

Surprisingly the security tag came off easier than the massive label. For security tag just had to wedge in the plastic peeler and keep moving left/right and wedge it in keeping the solution under the tag. After removing the tag it had a double sided plastic glue thing in it's place. That thing came off much harder and require lots of patience not to damage the shrink wrap. But it came off eventually.

The massive label gave me headaches! I had to soak it like 3-4 times in Goo Gone and it still holding one. Managed to remove big piece of it but parts of it are still on the case. I gave up for the time being as I was getting high on the smell from Goo Gone and decided to stop for the day. My guess is that the big label was on the cellophane for a very long time and then it sat in the direct sunlight and stuck to the cellophane completely. I will give it another go when I feel like getting high again lol
I'm surprised the security tag came off as easy as it did. That bigger one looks like a nightmare mate :wow:

Reactions: Thoth

You're doing a great job.
Well done!

Nice :thumbs: Keep at it. And yea, that smell can get real nasty.

Hey guys!

Heat is the key, it softens the glue under the sticker and they peel right off. Since your dealing with cellophane then you'll need a controlled moderate heat so that you don't melt the cellophane but you do melt the glue under the sticker. Goo Gone, Goof Off...all that crap I've tried and failed with, but heat is the key. Get some paper and cut out a hole in the shape of your sticker and do this with about 4-5 sheets and place them down around your sticker covering the cellophane so that only the sticker is showing. hold it down nice and firm so the hot air doesn't travel under the paper and onto your cellophane and start applying moderate heat to the sticker and gradually either get closer and closer to the sticker with your heat or gradually apply more heat to the sticker all the while gradually ever so slightly start with one edge of the sticker and start lightly pulling not letting it pull to hard on the cellophane. You'll eventually get it but you have to be patient with the whole process. If you want to test this out first try it on a coffee can or something metal with a sticker on it to learn how much heat is required and watch that sticker pull right off. Yes heat is the key.