Lightyear (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA)

Stygian

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Canada
Release date: September 13, 2022
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $34.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

Lightyear-steelbook.jpg

Credit to Viking61 at BD

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not really about using a new voice actor. Disney has become a politically driven company that pushes propaganda. The have ruined Star Wars, marvel, and their animation studio is a mess. There’s a reason why a large majority of people hate their films and they can’t stay consistent at the box office. This movie is about one of Pixar’s most beloved characters from one of their most popular movie franchise and it flopped in the theaters. The rise of Gru could very well triple what buzz has done. The numbers don’t lie.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

It’s not really about using a new voice actor. Disney has become a politically driven company that pushes propaganda. The have ruined Star Wars, marvel, and their animation studio is a mess. There’s a reason why a large majority of people hate their films and they can’t stay consistent at the box office. This movie is about one of Pixar’s most beloved characters from one of their most popular movie franchise and it flopped in the theaters. The rise of Gru could very well triple what buzz has done. The numbers don’t lie.
You really believe a "large majority" hate Disney because they've become "politcal"?

This is how i see the Tim Allen controversy:

When do you often see in the real world a Actor for a movie voice his kids toy? Its usually a imitation actor that Provides the voice for the toys, the way i see it is The Buzz in toy story is based off this character from Lightyear and in toy story they simply couldn't get The voice actor from the lightyear movie to do the toys voice due to cost.

Reactions: Steely-Booked
You really believe a "large majority" hate Disney because they've become "politcal"?
Oh, don’t get me wrong. There’s still plenty of people who are ready to consume next product (marvel, Star Wars, Pixar), but when you compare the two newest animated kids movies head to head, it’s not even close. Minions is at 540 million worldwide, while light year is at 215 million. Light year movie was surrounded by controversies (that they created themselves), while minions marketed itself as a silly/fun family friendly movie.

People don’t want to take their kids to a movie that’s surrounded by controversy, propaganda, and agendas. They just want to be entertained. This is the hill Disney chose to die on.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Oh, don’t get me wrong. There’s still plenty of people who are ready to consume next product (marvel, Star Wars, Pixar), but when you compare the two newest animated kids movies head to head, it’s not even close. Minions is at 540 million worldwide, while light year is at 215 million. Light year movie was surrounded by controversies (that they created themselves), while minions marketed itself as a silly/fun family friendly movie.

People don’t want to take their kids to a movie that’s surrounded by controversy, propaganda, and agendas. They just want to be entertained. This is the hill Disney chose to die on.

So they'll watch it on Disney+ instead.

You do understand that Pixar films are made for adults too right? There have been adult jokes and visual jokes since day 1. Infact most kids films do.

Personally why the f**k would I wana watch minions? At 36 and no kids. It’s aimed much more at kids. To the point where I probably couldn’t make it through the whole film because it’s annoying like that.
I’ll take Pixar any day of the week. For substance and beautiful looking animation films. The reason minions has done so well is because of the despicable me films and they have cashed in on the cute character for the kids. Plus there’s been this thing with hundreds of young lads going in droves to watch it in suits all around the world. Another reason it’s made so much money
Ahhh there it is. So it is about the kiss then. Seems like you live in the dark ages. You sound like a specific group of people who aren’t happy about it.
From a young age I learned so much from films about everything. And guess what, as a kid you also don’t remember it all. I’ve gone back to films 25+ years later and realised something I watched at 6/7/8 etc was throwing something in my face but did it impact me? no. Didn’t realise the adult joke or moment until watching it again at 30. But then the people who are angry with the kiss seem to be fine with straight characters kissing in kids films and even animals.
Says a lot about that person really and how fragile they are and how they should maybe educate themselves and look in the mirror. Because at this rate their kids will be far more intelligent than their dumb parents getting upset and feeling like their human rights have been destroyed by Disney because of a simple animated Kiss lol. I’m happy Disney have finally caught up with the times. I’m even happier watching these kinds of people get upset over the most stupid things

Last edited:
Can’t believe I’m on a forum where certain individuals are against a same sex kiss. This has completely baffled me. I’m gay myself and I’m shocked something so small is STILL an issue. I read up on views around this when it was released and just couldn’t believe what I was reading.
Where in any of my comments did I mention anything about the kiss scene? I’ll wait..

Propaganda in a kids movie check
Removing Tim Allen for his political views check
Chris evans attacking the fans check
Me not buying anything of Disney check

toy-story-Sad-Strange-meme-2.jpg

“The reason minions has done so well is because of the despicable me films and they have cashed in on the cute character for the kids”

So minions does well because of despicable me but light year doesn’t do well because of… toy story?

Reactions: Lenny Nero
“The reason minions has done so well is because of the despicable me films and they have cashed in on the cute character for the kids”

So minions does well because of despicable me but light year doesn’t do well because of… toy story?
Nope. Because a large part of the world like China and the Arab countries are backwards and banned the film for ridiculous reasons. And then half of America are just weird and homophobic. = not much money made.

Where in any of my comments did I mention anything about the kiss scene? I’ll wait..
Okay, I’ll bite. You keep throwing around the keyword ‘propaganda’ without ever specifying exactly what you mean by the word propaganda.

You also seem to be broadly generalizing that
whatever you consider to be politically-driven propaganda (again, as yet clarified) is what everyone (or, at least, most people) considers to be politically-driven propaganda. You’ve defended this argument several times by pointing out an anecdotal example that Minions has earned more money than Lightyear, which you’ve concluded - without any basis in fact - is because Disney spews politically-driven propaganda (as of yet, not specified).

If you don’t want others to conclude that you’re talking about a scene where two animated characters kiss, then tell us what you do mean rather than writing a ‘show me where I said that’ response.

@Flloydo you make a lot of good points. It’s not even necessarily whether kids will explicitly remember a scene in an animated movie. But exposing kids during the socialization process to things that become normalized in their worldview - like the world not existing in some antiquated heteronormative framework, as just one example - not only helps them see and empathize with others, but also understand themselves, which is really important.

Okay, I’ll bite. You keep throwing around the keyword ‘propaganda’ without ever specifying exactly what you mean by the word propaganda.

You also seem to be broadly generalizing that
whatever you consider to be politically-driven propaganda (again, as yet clarified) is what everyone (or, at least, most people) considers to be politically-driven propaganda. You’ve defended this argument several times by pointing out an anecdotal example that Minions has earned more money than Lightyear, which you’ve concluded - without any basis in fact - is because Disney spews politically-driven propaganda (as of yet, not specified).

If you don’t want others to conclude that you’re talking about a scene where two animated characters kiss, then tell us what you do mean rather than writing a ‘show me where I said that’ response.

@Flloydo you make a lot of good points. It’s not even necessarily whether kids will explicitly remember a scene in an animated movie. But exposing kids during the socialization process to things that become normalized in their worldview - like the world not existing in some antiquated heteronormative framework, as just one example - not only helps them see and empathize with others, but also understand themselves, which is really important.

Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Large enough to make them lose billions in stock, and potential millions in box office gross.
I salute all people standing up against things being imposed on them in inappropriate places.
Kids will see, read, and make their own conclusions no matter what parents allow them to see or not.
It's not about that small kiss in particular, which I don't mind (my sister is gay), but the whole stance the company has taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sono2020
Large enough to make them lose billions in stock, and potential millions in box office gross.
I salute all people standing up against things being imposed on them in inappropriate places.
Kids will see, read, and make their own conclusions no matter what parents allow them to see or not.
It's not about that small kiss in particular, which I don't mind (my sister is gay), but the whole stance the company has taken.
I’ll never understand people who will break their necks stumping for a company like Disney.. the same company that shrinks Finn’s head on the Chinese poster, puts a mask on black panther (so Chinese people don’t see the black guy), completely lie about the bill Ron desantis passed (calling it the don’t say gay bill), removeing scenes to appease foreign markets, employees being busted in child sex rings and Disney trying to cover it up, avoid paying a billion dollars in taxes, firing an actress because she wasn’t aligned with their political beliefs, and in the same breath championing womens right, and attacking fans who question their **** shows/movies.

that shrinks Finn’s head on the Chinese poster, puts a mask on black panther (so Chinese people don’t see the black guy), completely lie about the bill Ron desantis passed (calling it the don’t say gay bill), removeing scenes to appease foreign markets, employees being busted in child sex rings and Disney trying to cover it up, avoid paying a billion dollars in taxes, firing an actress because she wasn’t aligned with their political beliefs, and in the same breath champio

I feel like I'm reading propaganda. Much of this could apply to literally any entertainment company. Removing scenes to appease a foreign audience? Check. Avoid paying taxes? Check. But other stuff is so twisted. Disney didn't make up the label "Don't say Gay". In fact, Disney seemed to want to stay out of it completely until pressured by employees (see After protests, Disney CEO speaks out against Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill). And the firing for political beliefs? I assume you're referring to Gina Carano. Except she wasn't fired for having political beliefs. She was fired for causing trouble on twitter. You see it's okay to have whatever beliefs you want, but if you work for a company you shouldn't publicly piss off a large chunk the audience on social media. Because then the Company has to make the choice to either cut bait or not. And in Gina Carano's case she's simply not worth the headache/backlash. There's difference between having controversial beliefs and then making those beliefs public known on a huge public forum and pissing off the customers of the company you work for. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I’ll never understand people who will break their necks stumping for a company like Disney.. the same company that shrinks Finn’s head on the Chinese poster, puts a mask on black panther (so Chinese people don’t see the black guy), completely lie about the bill Ron desantis passed (calling it the don’t say gay bill), removeing scenes to appease foreign markets, employees being busted in child sex rings and Disney trying to cover it up, avoid paying a billion dollars in taxes, firing an actress because she wasn’t aligned with their political beliefs, and in the same breath championing womens right, and attacking fans who question their **** shows/movies.
Okay may of got it wrong with you but I still can tell because you’ve been vague in previous responses but like JGCramp said you’ve used certain words that some could mistake that your against a same sex kiss. So I’m confused now too but I do agree with some you just mentioned and was proper sh!t in the past. and I’m glad they are finally trying to fix this going forward and not cater to these other countries by removing stuff. The sex ring stuff is messed up tho. I’m not getting into that on here lol

Reactions: ddeahl and JGCramp
You’re totally entitled to that opinion, and it’s fine. My issue is the generalized and anecdotal conclusions being drawn and then connected without any factual evidence to some political agenda.

You can’t provide any evidence that Disney has lost billions because of outraged parents. Certainly, they lost a ton of business due to the pandemic. Then DeSantis went after them for “stupid activism,” which I take it to mean stuff he doesn’t like (or, more realistically, he’s manufacturing outrage as a catalyst for a presidential run), and now we are basically in a global recession. Those factors have nothing to do with Disney losing money? It’s all or mostly parents’ outraged defense of Tim Allen and some ill-defined political activism (which I take it to mean leftist cultural stuff)?

If parents want to deny their kids the chance to see a movie that those kids will probably enjoy, and make them happy, and has a positive message, and where they will see an heroic character with Captain America’s voice, all because they have invented some cultural outrage, so be it. This stuff just reinvents itself with each generation. Back in 1969, plenty of people were outraged that Mr. Rogers was imposing things on kids in inappropriate places. Imagine, washing and drying Officer Clemmons’s feet on public broadcasting!

Sharing a wading pool (1969) - Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

@Sono2020 the ‘if you disagree with me then you are a corporatist shill for Disney’ argument is reductionist. We aren’t Sith who only think in absolutes. I hate Apple but I still have an iPhone and an Apple TV box. I hate oil companies and fossil fuels, but my car still needs gas. And there is a lot about Disney that I hate. Humans and life are complex that way. It seems we agree on that!

Last edited: