Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
Release date: May 19, 2020
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $29.98 $21.99

mandy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You don’t have to equate a lot of lines to having a good performance. The MOST acting isn’t always THE BEST acting. More nuanced performances based solely around action without excessive dialogue is usually hard to accomplish. And Nicholas Cage was certainly unleashed in this film, which is incredible to see- it’s really a no-hold-bar performance that feels pure and unrestrained.

But there is a difference between films that are technically bad like his Remake of The Wicker Man, and films that are less reliant on convention like this one.

But if it’s not for you, then it’s not for you. :p
I just think he acts the same in every film now.

I feel he thinks the audience just want his bat sh1t crazy routine ad nauseum.

This performance was no different to any of his other recent straight to DVD films for me.....

And yes, I agree with you about non dialogue acting. Especially after just watching Joachim Phoenix in Joker. You couldn't take your eyes off him.

But a long close up of Nicolas Cages eyes doesn't equate to that!

Last edited:
I just think he acts the same in every film now.

I feel he thinks the audience just want his bat sh1t crazy routine ad nauseum.

This performance was no different to any of his other recent straight to DVD films for me.....

I would disagree but I would also say that he’s being recognized more for what he’s good at. Performances like Mandy, and Mom and Dad and the upcoming Color out of Space are inherently different performances from things like Left Behind and Joe. xD

But I mean hey- look at actors like Ryan Gosling. He’s great at giving subtle, nuanced performances in the like of Place Beyond the Pines, Blade Runner 2049, and Drive. It’s just what he does well.

I would disagree but I would also say that he’s being recognized more for what he’s good at. Performances like Mandy, and Mom and Dad and the upcoming Color out of Space are inherently different performances from things like Left Behind and Joe. xD

But I mean hey- look at actors like Ryan Gosling. He’s great at giving subtle, nuanced performances in the like of Place Beyond the Pines, Blade Runner 2049, and Drive. It’s just what he does well.
Don't get my missus started on Ryan Gosling. She thinks if he was any more wooden he'd be a tree!!

Personally, I like him. But yeah, all his roles are the same too.

Don't get my missus started on Ryan Gosling. She thinks if he was any more wooden he'd be a tree!!

Again, very good at subtle emotion. And I think he’s fantastic when he’s used in ways that suit the characters he plays. He was fantastic in Blade Runner 2049.

But yeah- I mean- again, the MOST acting isn’t always the BEST acting. That’s what can really separate great actors and people that are in their high school productions of Shakespeare. xD

Reactions: Flloydo
I’ll be giving this a miss as o was disappointed with the movie. In recent years I keep hearing about the odd good Cage film in the middle of all of his crap but every time I have been disappointed...

...though I do want to see Primal :wacky:

Again, very good at subtle emotion. And I think he’s fantastic when he’s used in ways that suit the characters he plays. He was fantastic in Blade Runner 2049.

But yeah- I mean- again, the MOST acting isn’t always the BEST acting. That’s what can really separate great actors and people that are in their high school productions of Shakespeare. xD

I like you.

Blade Runner 2049 is probably my favorite movie from the last decade. I can't wait for Villeneuve's Dune, I think it will be epic.

I can see why people don't like Mandy, but I thought it was awesome. Much better than the majority of crap Hollywood puts out today.

Reactions: FN-2187
Cage is always epic. When he’s great and when he’s bad. He’s just cage

And I can’t wait for his meta film The unbearable weight of massive talent. Apparently they are re filming old iconic scenes from his past movies for it and I can’t wait (hope we see some face off moments). Also the younger version of cage will be like him from the crazy interview he had with terry wogan whilst promoting wild at heart. That’s actually come from him. Can’t wait

Reactions: milky and Hereticz
Made a pre-order back on the 17th. All it says on my order is "Not yet shipped. Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. Please check back again."

Maybe Amazon jumped the gun with the pre-orders/release date?

May I remind you that Ryan Gosling isn`t always casted in his roles as a set character - in the drive movie he only played, because he could choose the regisseur by himself and chose Refn, who defined his role and acting. I think, that makes him a very versatile actor and he doesn`t always play the same - that`s not true.

This. Fully agree with this. Some of my best performances have been roles where really they’ve barely said anything but the facial emotion or just that they’re in the right film with the right director has been spot on. And gosling has been lucky to have this happen a lot. I love him. But then watch him in the nice guys and he’s a comedy genius both vocally and physically.
you could add his lars and the real girl to that blade runner, drive and place beyond the pines list too. Such amazing but minimal performances yet his emotion isn’t minimal at all

Reactions: FN-2187