Purchase link: HMV
Price: £19.99

01-166350.jpg
02-166350.jpg

03-166350.jpg
01-166350.png

Last edited:
Reactions: schnauzithomas
Looks like the 4K disc is also rated 12 by the looks of things with the cover shown at Amazon.
I hope this is not the case and it follows suit with the 2 previous Maze Runner releases.
91jsxmiZj-L._SX466_.jpg
forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of the rating? Would this 12 rather 12a mean its uncut?

forgive my ignorance but what is the significance of the rating? Would this 12 rather 12a mean its uncut?
12a is exclusive to cinemas, children under 12 can see it when accompanied by an adult. 12 rated home video release can only be purchased by someone over 12, content of both versions will be the same.

Interesting article on the matter here:
http://melonfarmers.co.uk/bbfc_cuts_spiderman.htm

Reactions: kingkarl1967
12a is exclusive to cinemas, children under 12 can see it when accompanied by an adult. 12 rated home video release can only be purchased by someone over 12, content of both versions will be the same.

Interesting article on the matter here:
http://melonfarmers.co.uk/bbfc_cuts_spiderman.htm
so if the home release is 12 its uncut, correct?

i dont recall this being 15 at the cinema and 12a is a lower than 12 rating.

also, am positive I have a few 12a home releases...always understood 12 to be 12 and over only with 12a being at parents discretion for kids under that age...

also, am positive I have a few 12a home releases...always understood 12 to be 12 and over only with 12a being at parents discretion for kids under that age...
Unfortunately they're essentially exactly the same, you're mostly right about the meaning though. a = advisory, meaning it is suggested for older children but parents can bring in under 12s at their discretion, under 12s will not be allowed in unaccompanied. Parents seem to treat it as exactly the same as PG though, making it the category that gets the most complaints about content. While you have to be over 12 to buy a 12 rated movie, the BBFC know that most parents will let their kids watch it anyway, and all ratings are treated as advisory at home, it used to be common practice to make extra edits for home media. If you have a home video with a 12a rating it is a printing error, this rating is only for cinema releases.

A few previously censored films have been passed with the same or a lower rating, but these tend to be resubmissions of films that were originally released before 2000, when the BBFC were a lot stricter than they are now. This will be the same version as at the cinema.

Last edited:

No all current home video releases are the cut 12 cert version.
All the MR films were cut prior to cinema release to gain 12 rating. Last 2 had 15 rated Blurays but this dont seem to.

Unfortunately they're essentially exactly the same, you're mostly right about the meaning though. a = advisory, meaning it is suggested for older children but parents can bring in under 12s at their discretion, under 12s will not be allowed in unaccompanied. Parents seem to treat it as exactly the same as PG though, making it the category that gets the most complaints about content. While you have to be over 12 to buy a 12 rated movie, the BBFC know that most parents will let their kids watch it anyway, and all ratings are treated as advisory at home, it used to be common practice to make extra edits for home media. If you have a home video with a 12a rating it is a printing error, this rating is only for cinema releases.

A few previously censored films have been passed with the same or a lower rating, but these tend to be resubmissions of films that were originally released before 2000, when the BBFC were a lot stricter than they are now. This will be the same version as at the cinema.
..and here's me thinking the home releases were the typically 'unrated' or 'unedited' versions, if any cut version of a movie exisited, it was for cinema/theatrical releases :(

No all current home video releases are the cut 12 cert version.
All the MR films were cut prior to cinema release to gain 12 rating. Last 2 had 15 rated Blurays but this dont seem to.
I'll be honest, I have imports of the prior two (BB steel of the first and the Kimchi steel of the second) so have not been aware of the UK home media ratings.

but if am understanding this correctly, the version we are getting on the UK steelbook, is the same as the one we got in the cinema?
As I cant see the rating being upped at home (for the belief mentioned above - usually the ratings are stretched more at home with all the unrated/extended editions, marketed as 'stuff we couldnt show in the cinemas' on the covers)

..and here's me thinking the home releases were the typically 'unrated' or 'unedited' versions, if any cut version of a movie exisited, it was for cinema/theatrical releases :(

I'll be honest, I have imports of the prior two (BB steel of the first and the Kimchi steel of the second) so have not been aware of the UK home media ratings.

but if am understanding this correctly, the version we are getting on the UK steelbook, is the same as the one we got in the cinema?
As I cant see the rating being upped at home (for the belief mentioned above - usually the ratings are stretched more at home with all the unrated/extended editions, marketed as 'stuff we couldnt show in the cinemas' on the covers)

Yes it is looking like home video release will be same as the cut cinema release.

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Interesting looks like we do get the UNCUT version in the home video version according to the melon farmers.

UK Censorship History

BBFC advised category cuts were required for a 12A rated cinema release in 2018. The film was passed 12 uncut for home video. Uncut and MPAA PG-13 rated in the US.'

Somewhat unusually the home video release appears uncut at the same age rating as the cut cinema version. The cuts for the cinema version were not made for specific violent scenes, just for overall scariness. Perhaps the BBFC felt that the film is not so scary on the small screen and so the cinema cuts were not required.

Interesting looks like we do get the UNCUT version in the home video version according to the melon farmers.

UK Censorship History

BBFC advised category cuts were required for a 12A rated cinema release in 2018. The film was passed 12 uncut for home video. Uncut and MPAA PG-13 rated in the US.'

Somewhat unusually the home video release appears uncut at the same age rating as the cut cinema version. The cuts for the cinema version were not made for specific violent scenes, just for overall scariness. Perhaps the BBFC felt that the film is not so scary on the small screen and so the cinema cuts were not required.
thats how I thought things would work - home release is more relaxed for what an tip a movie over to the next certification

• Thanks
Reactions: kingkarl1967

UK Censorship History

Was just about to post this. Sorry to anyone who took my advice, hopefully you don't hate me too much, to my knowledge this is the first time this has ever happened.

thats how I thought things would work - home release is more relaxed for what an tip a movie over to the next certification
This situation is absolutely an anomaly, home video guidelines are not usually more relaxed, this is just a very rare case of two sets of examiners disagreeing with each other. From the most recent BBFC guidelines: Classification decisions may be stricter on video works than on film. This is because of the increased possibility of under-age viewing as recognised in the Video Recordings Act (see Annexe), as well as the increased possibility of works being replayed or sections viewed out of context. Accordingly, a video work (either packaged or online) may occasionally receive a higher classification than on film, or require new or different cuts. (Video works may also receive a higher classification because they contain additional content.) The screen format or visual presentation of a submission may also alter a classification, for example, if the image has been processed in the 3D format or is shown with an altered aspect ratio such as on an IMAX screen.

Picked up a copy from my local HMV , yesterday., as they only had two left.

I began to wonder afterwards if the European (Italy, Scandinavia etc) releases are going to get the same disc as the UK, or one more akin to the U.S. release.