MGS: PS One version comfirmed!

Jan 29, 2009
Since Sony announced that the PlayStation Network would feature downloadable PSone games, the IGN PlayStation Team has been screaming that it wants the original Metal Gear Solid in downloadable form. The game's already out in Japan and it's been given a Mature rating here by the ESRB, but Konami and Sony still aren't saying anything about it. Is a U.S. version project even real?

The answer is "yes." I know because I found Metal Gear Solid on a PSPgo today.

Yup, after whining that I hadn't seen a white PSPgo yet, one of Sony's finest handed me a white slidey screen from a private area of the show floor and left me alone with it. I popped down on the XMB to see what games were on the 16 GB device, saw current stuff such as SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo 3, and then ran into Metal Gear Solid in a little PSone Classics box.

The game started without issue, I skipped the opening cinema, and I began choking people out with Square like I was back in my parents' basement. Rather than run in forced widescreen, the game was showing in a 4:3 box in the middle of the PSPgo's screen. The load times were nonexistent, and the game looked pretty good. Basically, I can't fricking wait for this game to get its crap together and get on the PlayStation Network. Thankfully, this thing looked all-but-final and had the descriptions and assets that made it look like a retail PSN release, so it shouldn't be too far off… right?