Night of the Living Dead (1968) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

Jan 30, 2013
FFO, Germany
Release date: November 24, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon DE - JPC
Price: €39.99

81LubMhSejL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You think this is the same transfer as the upcoming Criterion? I guess it would be unusual for two different transfers to be made at the same time.

You think this is the same transfer as the upcoming Criterion? I guess it would be unusual for two different transfers to be made at the same time.
Yes, for sure. Criterion has an ongoing partnership with StudioCanal going on.
There is the controversial question of who does the better encoding, though. Of the 4k releases based on SC restorations, I so far prefer the Criterion releases. But maybe I'm a little biased, because - Blasphemy! - Collecting Criterion stands above all other collections, including steelbooks, for me.

Yes, for sure. Criterion has an ongoing partnership with StudioCanal going on.
There is the controversial question of who does the better encoding, though. Of the 4k releases based on SC restorations, I so far prefer the Criterion releases. But maybe I'm a little biased, because - Blasphemy! - Collecting Criterion stands above all other collections, including steelbooks, for me.

My initial idea was to sell Criterion blu and get Criterion 4K.

But after this was announced, I was thinking about keeping the Criterion blu for extras and booklet, and buying the 4K steel. However, if Criterion's encode ends up being better, this plan is going to fail. :sweat: Would love to see reviews/comparisons before ordering.

Reactions: BatOutOfHell
My initial idea was to sell Criterion blu and get Criterion 4K.

But after this was announced, I was thinking about keeping the Criterion blu for extras and booklet, and buying the 4K steel. However, if Criterion's encode ends up being better, this plan is going to fail. :sweat: Would love to see reviews/comparisons before ordering.
That's actually a good plan if you already own the Criterion Blu. Guess time will tell what's the better release in terms of a/v. First indication will be if SC again sticks with a BD66 with lower bitrate and Criterion goes for the BD100...

They should bring back the SuperBit moniker for triple layer BDs, to make it easier to discern them. :D

StudioCanal... Can we expect some UK (digipack) edition as well? If I'm not mistaken, this steelbook was announced for France too...

Glad it’s different artwork from the original StudioCanal blu-ray steelbook because I don’t mind double dipping on this classic.

StudioCanal... Can we expect some UK (digipack) edition as well? If I'm not mistaken, this steelbook was announced for France too...
It’s already up at Fnac. That’s where I preordered it.

Reactions: PracticingPat
I’m not a fan of the back. Obviously it’s a classic line. But as artwork it’s just lazy. It would have been better if they did the back more like the earlier blu-ray steelbook, which has wording alongside full artwork on the back. The front is great, though.

EB9B4F3D-F5C3-4A27-AA00-AB89054C7F0A.jpeg

I’m still going to buy it, but I’m glad I have the blu-ray steelbook.

Got naggit, got to now cancel my preorder due to that back, not worth what is currently selling for.