Now Streaming Obi-Wan Kenobi (Limited Series) [Disney+]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ newest hope. The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Full story: 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)

kenobi-a-star-wars-story.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So how is everything liking the show so far?

Most of my thoughts revolve around spoilers for the first 2 episodes so...

The show feels uneven for me. Some stuff is fantastic only to have other things bug me. But hopefully that will improve moving forward.

- Was not expecting Leia. Never even crossed my mind that we would explore that. Thought we'd just see young Luke.

- Ewan's acting in this is TOP NOTCH. He is absolutely fantastic, along with Edgerton. But the other supporting cast around them tho, not so much...
• Not sure if its the script or the actor... but Reva (Third Sister) is very wrong for this role. The character is cool... but every time she speaks it doesn't work for me.​
• Benny Safdie's acting was very cheesy. And I know he's a good actor so not sure what happened there?​
• For a kid actor she's doing fine, but Leia was kind of frustrating. Maybe it was the silly running away scenes where she's running so slow but somehow nobody can catch her? lol​
- Loved Kumail's Character. Hope that's not the last we see of him.

- Plot wise. I'm digging it. Happy that we were able to get off Tatooine and hopefully it stays that way for most of the show.

- I like that we got to see Obi Wan discover that Darth Vader is Anakin and that he is still alive... but I don't like that it was Reva that revealed that to him. How does she even know? Isn't it a bit of a secret that Anakin is Vader and not common knowledge? It would have been much more powerful if Vader himself did it. (but maybe that would be too much of a rehash of Empire Strikes Back?)

- Not sure why they had Reva "Kill" The Grand Inquisitor. Makes no sense if you're a star wars fan. If you've watched Rebels you know he isn't dead. So why even pretend that this is a shocking moment? Wasn't really earned either. So not sure whats going on here.

Fingers crossed some of my nit-picks improve. But bottom line. I like it. Not love. Hopefully that will change.

Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
Done the first 2 episodes. I’m enjoying it but 2 things really bugged me. To the point me and my mate just looked at each other and laughed

I wasn’t expecting the Leia storyline, that was a surprise. But she’s a tad annoying and the part where she’s running from Flea and his cronies in the woods like a 3 year old toddler and they either can’t keep up, catch her, or get fooled by a slightly medium height branch.
And again on the roof tops. It was ridiculous. She’s literally running like a toddler!
At one point in the woods she runs really slowly around flea and he still can’t grab her and on the roof tops Obi Wan literally has about 5 chances to grab her easily. Was so weird

And at the start when the Inquisitors hunt that Jedi in the bar, he runs around them and using the force pulls 2 canopy’s down lol. One of the Inquisitors literally just walks around it. The Jedi used 2 pieces of ripped cloth to divide himself from 3 inquisitors! Blown my mind how stupid that is

I also don’t quite understand how they have gone 10 years without knowing Anakin is Vader and that he’s alive.

Other than that it seems cool so far and interested in seeing how it goes

The old hairy Boba/ clone trooper Morrison cameo made me chuckle

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles and kaw

The show feels uneven for me. Some stuff is fantastic only to have other things bug me. But hopefully that will improve moving forward.

- Was not expecting Leia. Never even crossed my mind that we would explore that. Thought we'd just see young Luke.

- Ewan's acting in this is TOP NOTCH. He is absolutely fantastic, along with Edgerton. But the other supporting cast around them tho, not so much...
• Not sure if its the script or the actor... but Reva (Third Sister) is very wrong for this role. The character is cool... but every time she speaks it doesn't work for me.​
• Benny Safdie's acting was very cheesy. And I know he's a good actor so not sure what happened there?​
• For a kid actor she's doing fine, but Leia was kind of frustrating. Maybe it was the silly running away scenes where she's running so slow but somehow nobody can catch her? lol​

- Plot wise. I'm digging it. Happy that we were able to get off Tatooine and hopefully it stays that way for most of the show.

- I like that we got to see Obi Wan discover that Darth Vader is Anakin and that he is still alive... but I don't like that it was Reva that revealed that to him. How does she even know? Isn't it a bit of a secret that Anakin is Vader and not common knowledge? It would have been much more powerful if Vader himself did it. (but maybe that would be too much of a rehash of Empire Strikes Back?)

- Not sure why they had Reva "Kill" The Grand Inquisitor. Makes no sense if you're a star wars fan. If you've watched Rebels you know he isn't dead. So why even pretend that this is a shocking moment? Wasn't really earned either. So not sure whats going on here.

Fingers crossed some of my nit-picks improve. But bottom line. I like it. Not love. Hopefully that will change.
Pretty much the same as how I felt

I think Reva knows Anakin is Vader because he would of trained her in the dark side right? I thought Anakin/ Vader made the inquisitors in a loop hole so he could have a group of apprentices learning the dark side (instead of just 1 apprentice like the with rule) carrying out the killing the rest of the Jedi/ obi wan mission. Unless I’m wrong there

I’ve personally not watched rebels or even clone wars. I’m only interested in live action story telling in this world and I’m guessing I’m not the only one so i imagine that is why it was in there that she killed him. Came as a shock to me anyway. I’ve got no idea what happens in those. So I have no idea he’s alive in the animations

Which I why I kind of hoping that in this series there’s a lot of flash backs to the clone wars during attack of the clones and revenge of the sith. I wana see live action flash backs of some of these big moments and missions they went on before revenge. That’s my dream anyway. Because also didn’t Anakin train Ahsoka during those years or something? So they would need to fit that into the story. And to me that wouldn’t make sense because there’s no reference to her in revenge of the sith, that Anakin had a padiwan.

I did love the opening scene for that reason

Reactions: kaw

I agree with literally every single one of those points you made. Some really great/cool moments, but also some really bad/laughable ones. So, yeah... I'm quite divided at the mo, but excited to see where it goes.

Reactions: kaw

I'm f00*ed. I won't get Disney+ in my country until June 14th. :-/

I love Star Wars with all my heart but I felt like those first 2 episodes were a little underwhelming. Love the casting for Leia, perfect choice imo, but the series doesn't seem to be directed very well. Especially for a big event like this, freaking Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen returning to Star Wars (!!), and for that this should look absolutely phenomenal and breathtaking, which it doesn't... still looking forward to the rest of course, but I hope the next episodes will take it up a nodge.

I'm enjoying it, but there's just something missing for me when it comes to what should be really cool/intense scenes.
The chase scenes last week were laughable, and the fight scene with Vader this week was pretty meh overall. There was no real "oomph" to it, and I realise he probably doesn't actually want to kill Kenobi at this point, but he literally let him get away... one minute he can distinguish fire, then the next it's an obstacle between them lol.
Still looking forward to seeing where it all goes though, of course.

I'm enjoying it, but there's just something missing for me when it comes to what should be really cool/intense scenes.
The chase scenes last week were laughable, and the fight scene with Vader this week was pretty meh overall. There was no real "oomph" to it, and I realise he probably doesn't actually want to kill Kenobi at this point, but he literally let him get away... one minute he can distinguish fire, then the next it's an obstacle between them lol.
Still looking forward to seeing where it all goes though, of course.

100% agree

Having literally just finished episode 3 I've come away feeling like the shows played it's hand too early. Like in Rogue One I think they should have left Vader till the last episode to give him more of a build up. I don't mind the odd tease like they did at the end of episode 2 but a full on confrontation should have been kept for later in the season IMO

Reactions: Flloydo and Noodles
Yeah I’m the same with kenobi. I like it but there’s these really weird and stupid moments

Like leia running around last week in slow motion and no one could touch her and the canopy thing he used as a blockade but all they did was walk round it

There’s a moment where they get to a force field gate and Obi shoots the power grid to disable it. When on both sides there’s like metres they can walk around and even a hut on the other side with a massive opening around it. It’s so silly.

And then when he’s running away from Vader behind small rock piles with a massively illuminated blue light saber that he can’t see past because it so bright with a blue hue but Vader can see him a mile off. Looked cool but it’s some odd choices of staging and blocking. Like really basic for a Disney Star Wars series

He sets the ground on fire, was a cool scene. And the used a kind of force push to put it out and then when it’s set back on fire he just stand there and does nothing. Makes no sense

It's a shame that Lucasfilm seems to have to put at least one 30 minute episode in every one of their seasons. Why make it a mini series if it's not gonna be an hour per episode?
Anyway, thought the 4th episode was probably the weakest one so far, some really odd moments, and I'm REALLY giving it the benefit of the doubt, seeing that many people online seem to hate the show. I really want to love the show and the story it's telling but it's really hard to ignore some things, Reevas character is getting just super annoying now, some of Kenobis choices are completely baffling and other characters are just poorly written
(The dude played by Ice Cubes son just changed from "Nah, not gonna do it" to "Everything you want, General" in an INSTANT. Also that officer at the door just changed from Nazi mode to "Yes sir, no problem sir" in a second just because he was threatened? I mean, if it's that easy, just threaten your way through the empire I guess)
, the CGI is not very good in one particular place as well.
I'm really looking forward to how they're gonna end this, but with only 2 episodes left there's really only so much they can do and
I never thought this would be a show basically about the rescue of Leia by a weak and broken Obi Wan

Reactions: Noodles
It's a shame that Lucasfilm seems to have to put at least one 30 minute episode in every one of their seasons. Why make it a mini series if it's not gonna be an hour per episode?
Anyway, thought the 4th episode was probably the weakest one so far, some really odd moments, and I'm REALLY giving it the benefit of the doubt, seeing that many people online seem to hate the show. I really want to love the show and the story it's telling but it's really hard to ignore some things, Reevas character is getting just super annoying now, some of Kenobis choices are completely baffling and other characters are just poorly written
(The dude played by Ice Cubes son just changed from "Nah, not gonna do it" to "Everything you want, General" in an INSTANT. Also that officer at the door just changed from Nazi mode to "Yes sir, no problem sir" in a second just because he was threatened? I mean, if it's that easy, just threaten your way through the empire I guess)
, the CGI is not very good in one particular place as well.
I'm really looking forward to how they're gonna end this, but with only 2 episodes left there's really only so much they can do and
I never thought this would be a show basically about the rescue of Leia by a weak and broken Obi Wan
Pretty much how I felt about ep 4 too. Can't get over how sloppy some of the writing is... it was kinda funny at first, but now it's just getting on my nerves and I'm struggling to find enjoyment in the show. The water scene was also :facepalm:.

Reva needs to go! She's a rubbish villain and the person playing her cannot act. Same with young Leia... fed up of it being a show about her so far and Ben having to save her every week :yawn:.

Once again agreeing with the 'toxic' Scottish Drinker:

It's so weird, I find myself in a place basically agreeing with him on everything there. But for some reason, I just LOVE the sequel trilogy and I feel like I'm mostly alone there in that part of the fandom who are annoyed by the obvious (and admitted) political agenda by Disney. I never felt that agenda in the sequels and just enjoyed the over-all story it told (Yes, I'm serious). I guess they were a little more careful when it comes to the modern political stuff in the sequels.

Basically the loudest SW fans on the web seem to be separated into two main camps nowadays:

1. People who just flat out hate all of Disneys SW, but then still say they like the final Clone Wars season and Mando for some reason, even though Kathleen Kennedy has produced those as well.
2. SJW fans who endorse Disney's push into the woke, which is unquestionably there now. I guess this part of the fandom is tiny but simply loud as hell.

I was always more on a neutral side and just wanted to love the SW content they put out without any b.s. But with The Book of Boba Fett the writing kind of started to lose quality for me. And Obi-Wan has so much political online media b.s. surrounding it that you can't watch the show anymore without thinking about that, and that's pretty much entirely the work of Disney with them putting out statements about fans being racists etc.
I mean, us fans have asked for this to happen for years and years. And it's happening! 4 of 6 episodes in with a TV show about freaking Kenobi starring Ewan McGregor and Hayden freaking Christensen. This should be the TV event of the year, there is no excuse for anything else. And it's just heartbreaking how they care more about diversity and all of that politcal b.s. instead of throwing all of that out of the window to start to simply tell a good story. The world of entertainment doesn't need anything else but good stories which are well made.

I have no idea where they're gonna take the franchise but as someone who is a true fan since the age of 6 I just hope this is not gonna turn out to become another Star Trek, because in my opinion and apart from what many say (including the critical drinker) there is still time to course correct and to just forget about politics and simply tell good stories. You don't need to have every single minority, ethnicity or whatever in every single episode of every show just to tick boxes. Because of Lucasfilm's and Disney's twitter statements I first realised how they basically casted this show extra-diverse for one simple reason: You got two straight white male lead characters. The rest is basically every ethnicity on the planet apart from white guys because 2 leads is pretty much as far as it goes for Disney now of course. Plus an asian-american female director who has unfortunately done not much to impress, and I wish I could say otherwise. I have said this before but they should have hired Bryce Dallas Howard for the job, but yeah... maybe in the future for something else.
After Disneys twitter statements it's quite hard to ignore all of these things, and SW just simply shouldn't be about that, ticking boxes and pandering to a tiny group of loud twitter users.
I'm proud to be a Tolkien reader and fan and to see how fans completely "destroy" Amazon for what they are doing with Tolkien's work and legacy. Since there is no source material for SW it's impossible for something like this to happen here, I guess one way would be to cancel Disney+, which I'll be seriously considering if the ending of this show isn't good. And as a fan and as someone who has been completely with Disney's creatice SW decisions through the sequels, Rogue One and Solo that honestly breaks my heart a bit.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
I mean, us fans have asked for this to happen for years and years. And it's happening! 4 of 6 episodes in with a TV show about freaking Kenobi starring Ewan McGregor and Hayden freaking Christensen. This should be the TV event of the year, there is no excuse for anything else. And it's just heartbreaking how they care more about diversity and all of that politcal b.s. instead of throwing all of that out of the window to start to simply tell a good story. The world of entertainment doesn't need anything else but good stories which are well made.
I know, I've wanted a big budget, live action Star Wars TV series ever since Clone Wars were announced, and we're seemingly getting so many of them now, that I should be extremely happy, yet they managed to spoil everything.
It's not just politics, or 'woke' diversity, which Tatooine-like planets could be full of, but just plain bad writing with dumb scenes, like discussed in this clip:

I really liked episode 4 in places but again suffering with the same poor writing, strange choices, sloppy editing, sh!tty acting and crappy character choices. It’s really blowing my mind

Reactions: Lenny Nero