Open Or Sealed? The Debate

Open or Keep Sealed? (Multiple Answers ok)

• I open all of my Steelbooks and watch them

Votes: 227 61.5%
  • I open none of my Steelbooks-I buy/rent Amaray/inferior Steel to watch

Votes: 28 7.6%
  • I open only the non-'rare' Steelbooks, keep the rest sealed

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • I fall somewhere in between-I open 50%/keep sealed 50%

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • It depends on the title completely

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • Doesn't apply-I don't buy Steelbooks

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2010
Vancouver BC
How many people open their Steelbooks when they buy them or do you just leave them sealed.

So far i have 13 Steelbooks and have opened 3 i opened Angels and Demons,Inglorious Bastards and District 9.

I fear if i open my pirates and nightmare before christmas ones i will have to modify them to be able to put the discs in and not have them in a sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Just as well it’s not up to you then, isn’t it? Completely ignorant to have an elitist attitude, presuming 1/4 slips are for ‘true fans of steelbooks’ and added extras given by companies like Blufans are gimmicky.

I think we're not on the same page here my friend. There are plenty of sealed collectors on this site, perhaps more than opened steelbook collectors. Look to the picture thread to confirm, you see more sealed products posted, or more opened products posted? So if I'm a sealed collector, that automatically makes me an elitist? If you're a sealed collector, and a steelbook fan, than these slips are not desirable. the caveat is if your one of these rare individuals who have x-ray vision, in which case, what I said don't apply to you. To all others, what I said was completely true. I have no problems with all the inserts and extras that are included in these premium steels at all. As long as they all can fit inside the steelbook itself, and not obstruct it like slips. So you're barking up the wrong tree when saying I'm against inserts.

1/4 slip is for the true fan of steelbooks. anything that covers the steelbook in it's entirety is for people who collected DVD's and other kinds of collectible packaging. They like all the little gimmicks that all these FS's and Lenti's include. 1/4 will be the most collectible in the future, because its almost always the rarest. This artwork for the steelbook, if indeed it is the final artwork is absolutely perfect IMO. To cover it up is a shame.

Meh

(I open everything so your argument is redundant on me)

What’s the point anyway? Even if you get the 1/4 slip as a sealed collector, you can still only see 3/4 of the front of the steel..and that’s it. Not really any better than seeing at least the entire front of a slip then, is it? A sealed collector won’t be bothered that everything’s covered, because that’s how they want it then.

I feel 99% sure that generally 1/4 slips won’t be worth more than a slip version. But we’ll see in 10 years time..

By the way, I open everything but I usually photograph it before opening. Just to point out that because an item is pictured unopened, doesn’t mean it stays that way.

I think we're not on the same page here my friend. There are plenty of sealed collectors on this site, perhaps more than opened steelbook collectors. Look to the picture thread to confirm, you see more sealed products posted, or more opened products posted? So if I'm a sealed collector, that automatically makes me an elitist? If you're a sealed collector, and a steelbook fan, than these slips are not desirable. the caveat is if your one of these rare individuals who have x-ray vision, in which case, what I said don't apply to you. To all others, what I said was completely true. I have no problems with all the inserts and extras that are included in these premium steels at all. As long as they all can fit inside the steelbook itself, and not obstruct it like slips. So you're barking up the wrong tree when saying I'm against inserts.
No- what makes you have an elitist attitude is to class yourself as a “true” collector owing to the fact you buy 1/4 slips over full slips or lenticulars. To have that kind of attitude towards others is frankly embarrassing.

Reactions: StifflersDad
No- what makes you have an elitist attitude is to class yourself as a “true” collector owing to the fact you buy 1/4 slips over full slips or lenticulars. To have that kind of attitude towards others is frankly embarrassing.
Oh? I'm said I was a "true collector"? I think you should read my post again. I thinking the word your looking for is "true fan". Get it right.

Oh? I'm said I was a "true collector"? I think you should read my post again. I thinking the word your looking for is "true fan". Get it right.
Same difference. You’re not any more or less of a fan because you keep steelbooks sealed. You have a trashy attitude.

And thats why I said if it were up to me, I'd get rid of all slips. Just in todays day and age, the 1/4 is the best option.
“in todays day and age, the 1/4 is the best option”. In YOUR opinion. Many others prefer full slips. You just don’t get it, do you?

Calm yourself folks... @stevo is back for a brief period like he always is to stir sh!t up and poke a few people. Take everything he says with a pinch of salt and try to avoid feeding him lol :p
Take it he had experience for this kind of thing? This is the first time I’ve encountered him, and he’s not done himself any favours whatsoever or shown himself in a good light.

Same difference. You’re not any more or less of a fan because you keep steelbooks sealed. You have a trashy attitude.
And your not any more or less a fan if you open yours, so keep your opinion to yourself. And it's not the same differences, open your eyes and read. Do I offend you because of my opinion? Good, I don't really give a damn. We gotta lotta people with real thin skin here. Almost anything is offensive to these people. I guess your just another one of them lol.

And your not any more or less a fan if you open yours, so keep your opinion to yourself. And it's not the same differences, open your eyes and read. Do I offend you because of my opinion? Good, I don't really give a damn. We gotta lotta people with real thin skin here. Almost anything is offensive to these people. I guess your just another one of them lol.
No- you’re just an idiot to be perfectly frank.

I didnt state I was more of a collector- you were the moron who said “1/4 slip is for true collectors of steelbooks”. Might want to remind yourself what you wrote before making yourself look like a fool.

As everyone knows all steelbooks come with a J-card / O-ring or similar card attachment/flyer or whatever you want to call it . . . as somewhere by law for the BBFC certifications to be placed (in the UK at least). . . and a 1/4 slip is just one of those tarted up.
That being said, if all premium releases included a 1/4 slip release sensibly and fairly priced @2./3 of the price of full slip editions I for one would seriously consider them.

Ok guys, everyone has had their say. This pointless back and forth arguing is just derailing the thread. Let’s move on and get back on topic.

With the advent of the steelbook protective covers I open all my special edition blu-ray steels now and put them in those protective sleeves. Before I was reluctant to open them unless I was going to watch them. With such a massive collection it's ages before I get around to watching them. The only downside sometimes I get a faulty disc so just buy the regular blu-ray to replace them since 99.5% of the time they are the same disc just with fancy packaging.