Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: Novermber 23, 2020
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Zoom - Amazon UK
Price: £29.99
Finish: Zero - matte w/ metallic areas. No 'bossing.
Notes: Includes black & white version.

71gQYUrjcXL._AC_SY445_.jpg

81YjFpkjpWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like matte to me. What does that even mean when they say "invisible" low-gloss varnish? The varnish is either there or it isn't. So the colors supposedly look slightly better, which I doubt the human eye can distinguish from "matte" as they say it's "invisible." Some people have difficulty distinguishing between matte and satin so I imagine no one can tell the difference at all. "Zero varnish" is basically the same as matte. I reckon it only looks better on paper.
Zero Varnish is not matte
Zero varnish is a neutral, low-gloss finish but it maintains high colour intensity

Example
Batman Begins 2013 UK steelbook was Zero Finish
Batman Begins 2013 USA steelbook was Matte Finish

Matte Steelbook dont attract fingerprints
Zerro Finish steelbooks can get low level of fingerprints but are not as noticeable compared to a steelbook that is full gloss finish

Zero Varnish is not matte
Zero varnish is a neutral, low-gloss finish but it maintains high colour intensity
True, but it might as well be the same as people can't tell the difference. It's "invisible." Looks ugly either way.

True, but it might as well be the same as people can't tell the difference. It's "invisible." Looks ugly either way.
Batman Begins UK and USA
The 2013 Steelbooks is a good example between Zero Finish and Matte

UK was Zero Finish
USA was Matte Finish

Reactions: MM3
With that art it’ll look pretty good with a Zero finish. The SteelBook website already shows a partial representation of the effect on their render of it, and it kinda works. Love the grainy metallic sheen you can get with that finish. Now, if it had spot gloss on the windows it’d be perfect but at least it’s not matte.

Didn’t know this SteelBook was coming but just got a shipping confirmation on my Criterion Collection release and I also already have the bare-bones US 4K release, might swap all of those US discs into a SteelBook like this for a movie this good... Depends on if the admittedly wicked Criterion packaging can take another disc or not I suppose.

Batman Begins UK and USA
The 2013 Steelbooks is a good example between Zero Finish and Matte

UK was Zero Finish
USA was Matte Finish
I see. I had those steels, but got rid of them after the HDzeta releases. Weird that they call it zero finish. Would make more sense to just call it low gloss and refer to matte steels as zero finish, but that's just my common sense way of seeing things. :rolleyes:

Satin already exist for steelbooks and is different to Zero and Gloss Finishes
Satin is more similar to Matte finish brightness
Satin exists in the US steelbook market, but I think he was referring to the fact that satin finish outside of the steelbook realm has a slight shine to it like the so-called "zero finish" found in the European steelbook market. I guess Europeans make no sense. :LOL:

I was under the impression that the finishes available were Matte, Zero, Satin with Spot Gloss, crappy varnish Gloss, and Good Gloss. Zero and the satin on a spot gloss SteelBook are so similar that they might as well be the same thing, Satin being a much more recognizable and understandable branding than “Zero,” lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MM3
Steelbook is listed as Zero Finish not Matte

Zero finish is different to Matte

Gloss and Zero varnishes enhance the intensity of colours
Matte and satin varnishes give a soft, muted effect

Scanavo
Page 8 Varnish

View attachment 489278

Thanks for the list, very interesting. But why are some varnishes missing?
I don't see Spot Gloss on Zero Varnish, Glow in the Dark Varnish and the fantastic Crackle Varnish.

Have you some Steelbook-examples to make the difference between Zero Varnish and Satin Varnish clearer?

Is Silkscreen the Silk Varnish that was used on the 2015 Steelbook of Terminator 2 and the 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Surprised there’s no pictures of this yet. Release date is today

unlike total recall this hasn’t gone straight to buy now on zavvi so maybe they haven’t received the stock yet. It was still available to pre order until yesterday so that makes me think they have a slight delay on stock

ZAVVI sold out for now.
Pre orders auto goes listed as sold out on Zavvi website if their system has no stock on release date

Zavvi Webstie does not list a release date at the moment

If Zavvi get delivery of stock in next fews days and they have any left after pre orders are covered it will change to buy now or list a new release date