Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: Novermber 23, 2020
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Zoom - Amazon UK
Price: £29.99
Finish: Zero - matte w/ metallic areas. No 'bossing.
Notes: Includes black & white version.

71gQYUrjcXL._AC_SY445_.jpg

81YjFpkjpWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I think the description covers it nicely. This should tell people that it's a decent matte finish (possibly "zero") and not a "cheap streaky" matte finish. And that it has metallic areas.

If anybody needs to know more information about the finish than that to decide if the finish is right for them to purchase this steelbook, then they probably don't ever want anything less than a full gloss, embossed or debossed steelbook. Outside of premiums how many do we get now that are fully glossed and bossed? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?

I don't think anyone has a "no matte of any kind but I'll take a zero finish" steelbook policy. :dunno: :LOL:
I definitely don't want a streaky steelbook or a rough looking one. Not sure if I want this as I have the French one. I can always buy the 4K amaray when it's on sale so I can replace the discs.

Reactions: Stygian
Sounds like Satin. I just painted some home interiors with satin paint and there is a low gloss effect to it. That's basically what I meant. Calling low gloss finish "zero" finish makes "zero" sense.
Since most people can't tell the difference between matte and "zero" finish, It's still unclear to me what the actual finish on this steel is. Is it matte with metallic effects or "zero" finish?
Zero finish with metallic effects is what this is . . . difficult to catch the effects through the shrinkwrap . . . despite that you get the idea:-
20201123_190731_resized.jpg

As for the difference between Matte and Zero here are a couple of examples of the same steelbook title with two different finishes released in different territories:-
Matte left, Zero right:-
1606180601734.png
1606180630988.png

1606180901864.png
/
1606180946110.png

Reactions: Lutzo and MM3
Does the photo above do it justice? Seems a bit dark. I do love the artwork though
Personally I'd say the photo makes it look better than it actually is lol. The metallic areas are obviously silver/colourless, whereas they look brown/orange in that photo. The artwork is pretty dark overall unfortunately... certainly not as bright as the mock-up anyway.

Reactions: goufcustom and MM3
I'm honestly no expert when it comes to steelbook finishes... all I really know is matte, satin and gloss (I use those varnishes regularly). This just looks like plain old matte to me, but I keep seeing people refer to it as "zero", so I 'unno *shrug*

Reactions: MM3 and Stygian
Haha I had the exact same "we saved you 1 penny" email too! Got this today and unsealed it, mostly agree with what's been said so far. It's a little dark overall, there are metallic highlights, particularly noticeable on the boy and window frame pick up quite a bit of the light compared to the rest of it, and the text is flat paint (i.e. not matte but not shiny) - some people's streaky alarms may go off on some of the dark areas even if it isn't matte, not something that's very noticeable to me though. Also found it's quite tricky to take a picture or video that captures the look correctly, might try have a go again later.

Personally I'd say the photo makes it look better than it actually is lol. The metallic areas are obviously silver/colourless, whereas they look brown/orange in that photo. The artwork is pretty dark overall unfortunately... certainly not as bright as the mock-up anyway.

Yikes ok, maybe I will go with the other Parasite version with the stairs.

I wish you had said this when the photo was actually posted/ and or received yours instead of waiting a day lol

Completely agree with the brightness comments. Too dark I feel. The overhead lights are barely visible compared to mock up. There is a nice silver sheen to the floor and figure in the window near wig wam but overall very dark. Fine detail printing is all there but hard to see basically. If you want it like the mock up art I’d avoid.

This plopped through the letterbox this morning. Personally I love the artwork and finish. I like designs that show the bare metal underneath the paint, it really pops.

Also the black and white with colour ties in with the double feature release.

Yes it IS quite nice just too dark. If they just turned up the brightness on the image printer it would match the mock up. Still like it but if I’m not impressed with the movie it will be going on eBay for sure.

I’m very impressed with this in hand

My copy is very rich with that dark colour. Looks lovely and goes nicely with my little parasite collection

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark
My Amazon order was dispatched on Sunday
I should have delivery tomorrow morning

I'm surprised there has been no unboxing videos yet considering it was released last week

I got 3 orders from Zavvi through the post yesterday, this, replacement Star Wars EpV and EpIX. (Still no Solo)

This is really nice IMO. Quite like the bare metal parts, makes it pop against the matte finish, but obviously it could be better. If the title was debossed and it was a gloss finish, I wouldn't have any issues with it at all.