Horror-Theatrical Phoenix Forgotten (2017)

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Phoenix Forgotten

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Science Fiction

Director: Justin Barber

Cast: Florence Hartigan, Jeanine Jackson, Chelsea Lopez, Justin Matthews, Luke Spencer Roberts, Cyd Strittmatter, Matt Biedel, Ana Dela Cruz, Jay Pirouznia, Marc Marron

Release: 2017-04-21

Runtime: 80

Plot: In the spring of 1997, several residents of Phoenix, Arizona claimed to witness mysterious lights in the sky. This phenomenon, which became known as "The Phoenix Lights," remains the most famous UFO sighting in American history. On July 23, 1997, three high school student filmmakers went missing while camping in the desert outside Phoenix. The purpose of their trip was to document their investigation into the Phoenix Lights. They were never seen again. Twenty years later, Sarah Bishop, a documentary filmmaker and younger sibling of one of the missing, returns to Phoenix to delve into the their disappearances and the emotional trauma left on those that knew them. Nothing can prepare her for the shocking discovery of a tape from the night her brother and his friends disappeared.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Has a bit of a Blair Witch vibe to it IMO. I imagine it might something you'd be interested in @Flloydo, and possibly both @tridon and @bloodsnake007 too. :thumbs:

Ha, you know me too well

Yeah it looks ok and I agree it does have that vibe

To be honest it's the same set up as the newer Blair witch just different setting and with aliens (well if you have seen the new Blair witch then that's debatable ;))

I actually really liked the newer Blair because sh*t actually happens so I hope this don't dissapoint (not that I don't like the original but going back is hard nowadays because not much happens). Some of these hand held horrors can be quite slow but I'm still a sucker for them

@tridon I watched Baghead for the first time the other night, I imagine you have seen that. I thought it was okay tbh but I guessed the ending just in a different scenario

Phoenix, Arizona? That's where I live! :woot: Now you really have my attention! :hungry: Definitely checking this out! ;)

Thanks @Noodles! :thumbs:

Of course, forgot you are from there

Always wanted to go one day or if I did a road trip across the states Arizona will be on my list (funnily enough me and some mates were going to do it last year, we were planing to do it for 2016. Was planning it since like 2014 but situations changed - I was in and out of work after a bad spell, my best mate and his wife were getting divorced, another mate was buying a house and also another 2 marriages/ weddings on the horizon which ended up getting planned for this year etc so it just got cancelled for possibly another time which I doubt will happen now

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and tridon
I saw a trailer of this when I watched Life and it looks decent, but the problem is that I just watched an identical film called The Phoenix Incident. That film is from 2015 and was rather low-budget, but it told the exact same story from a handheld camera POV. @Noodles, you may find it interesting to know that The Phoenix Incident starred Troy Baker and he shot it right before doing The Last of Us. Here's the trailer for that film:

@tridon I watched Baghead for the first time the other night, I imagine you have seen that. I thought it was okay tbh but I guessed the ending just in a different scenario

I've actually never seen Baghead, but I've always been curious to see it. The Duplass Brothers are very under-the-radar filmmakers that have a decent track record when it comes to horror and out-there films. Would you recommend watching it?

Phoenix, Arizona? That's where I live! :woot: Now you really have my attention! :hungry: Definitely checking this out! ;)

I used to go to Phoenix all the time when I was a kid. My grandparents would spend their winters in Mesa, so I saw a lot of Phoenix and Nevada back in the day. Beautiful country, but hot as sh*t. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
I saw a trailer of this when I watched Life and it looks decent, but the problem is that I just watched an identical film called The Phoenix Incident. That film is from 2015 and was rather low-budget, but it told the exact same story from a handheld camera POV. @Noodles, you may find it interesting to know that The Phoenix Incident starred Troy Baker and he shot it right before doing The Last of Us. Here's the trailer for that film:

I've actually never seen Baghead, but I've always been curious to see it. The Duplass Brothers are very under-the-radar filmmakers that have a decent track record when it comes to horror and out-there films. Would you recommend watching it?

I used to go to Phoenix all the time when I was a kid. My grandparents would spend their winters in Mesa, so I saw a lot of Phoenix and Nevada back in the day. Beautiful country, but hot as sh*t. :p

I agree, they do go under the radar and I'm a fan of them, there's something about their work that I like. I enjoyed creep and I hear it's going to be a trilogy but someone else is directing the second film.
I absolutely love safety not guaranteed (I know that's Colin T but I do find mark D a decent actor too and he's so funny with his 80s thing in that film) something very likeable about him even when he's playing weirdos

Yeah id give Baghead a go, don't get me wrong it's not the best hand held I've seen in terms of story or scares but I enjoyed it for how simple it is and again it's something about their films that resonates with me.
One of the girls is slightly annoying but then she grew on me. I read that it was very well received and very funny so I gave it a go. I didn't find it hilarious but it had some moments.

I'll also check out that Phoenix incident too

Ah man life, finally see that. Knew I was going to like that. I'm going to watch it again though before i start talking about that but for now 2 things

How cool is the actual life form, I mean it's a nasty evil f*cker but I love the way it moves especially when it's like the size of a hand and I wasn't expecting the first death to be who it was. That whole scene was incredible

I actually thought jake was going to be the first to go for some reason

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Just watched the trailer Ken for that other Phoenix film, think I prefer the look of that

So was their a lot of recorded UFO sightings in Phoenix back in 97 or something?

Weird both films have similar names and about same things

Oh yeah and about Troy, I just finished playing arkham knight and it blew my mind that he was two face & the arkham knight in that, the joker in the previous as well as Robin and Joel from the las of us! Aswell as many other voices in games I've played like cod, Lego games, Star Wars and loads of cartoons I've watched like voices in spidey etc
Great voice actor

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I agree, they do go under the radar and I'm a fan of them, there's something about their work that I like. I enjoyed creep and I hear it's going to be a trilogy but someone else is directing the second film.
I absolutely love safety not guaranteed (I know that's Colin T but I do find mark D a decent actor too and he's so funny with his 80s thing in that film) something very likeable about him even when he's playing weirdos

Yeah id give Baghead a go, don't get me wrong it's not the best hand held I've seen in terms of story or scares but I enjoyed it for how simple it is and again it's something about their films that resonates with me.
One of the girls is slightly annoying but then she grew on me. I read that it was very well received and very funny so I gave it a go. I didn't find it hilarious but it had some moments.

I'll also check out that Phoenix incident too

Ah man life, finally see that. Knew I was going to like that. I'm going to watch it again though before i start talking about that but for now 2 things

How cool is the actual life form, I mean it's a nasty evil f*cker but I love the way it moves especially when it's like the size of a hand and I wasn't expecting the first death to be who it was. That whole scene was incredible

I actually thought jake was going to be the first to go for some reason

Safety Not Guaranteed was an excellent film! I actually discovered the Duplass Brothers through their guest roles on The Mindy Project. They're hilarious on that show! I'll have to check out Baghead sometime in the future. Thanks for the recommendation!

Life was a great flick! Some of the best R-rated sci-fi/horror in a long, long time. I'm so bummed that it sunk at the box office. Sony didn't market it enough and it has such a generic title. It should've made a lot more.

Just watched the trailer Ken for that other Phoenix film, think I prefer the look of that

So was their a lot of recorded UFO sightings in Phoenix back in 97 or something?

Weird both films have similar names and about same things

Oh yeah and about Troy, I just finished playing arkham knight and it blew my mind that he was two face & the arkham knight in that, the joker in the previous as well as Robin and Joel from the las of us! Aswell as many other voices in games I've played like cod, Lego games, Star Wars and loads of cartoons I've watched like voices in spidey etc
Great voice actor

Yeah, apparently, there were glowing lights in the Phoenix sky one night in 1997 and a lot of UFO sightings were reported. I recommend giving The Phoenix Incident a shot. The alien designs were pretty cool.

Troy Baker's an immensely talented actor. His voice work has always been phenomenal, so it was interesting to see him in a live-action project.

• Thanks
The Phoenix lights were (very well) debunked. It's crazy how people keep on believing that it was a UFO event, when it was proven exactly what it was.
(Hint - this is a major area for the Air Force).

Ha, you know me too well

Yeah it looks ok and I agree it does have that vibe

To be honest it's the same set up as the newer Blair witch just different setting and with aliens (well if you have seen the new Blair witch then that's debatable ;))

I actually really liked the newer Blair because sh*t actually happens so I hope this don't dissapoint (not that I don't like the original but going back is hard nowadays because not much happens). Some of these hand held horrors can be quite slow but I'm still a sucker for them
Horror + found footage = big chance Flloydo will like it. :p

I've never actually seen either of the Blair Witch films... saw bits of the first, but it never really interested me enough to properly check it out (plus I was always too scared lol). I might finally check them out now that I'm slowly coming around to liking horror though... speaking of which, I recently watched Don't Breathe and loved it! :D

Troy Baker you say? Consider me in! I agree with Flloydo that it actually looks more interesting than this new film. For one, I can only handle so much shaky cam, so I like that The Phoenix Incident mixes it up. Thanks for the recommendation dude. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo
Safety Not Guaranteed was an excellent film! I actually discovered the Duplass Brothers through their guest roles on The Mindy Project. They're hilarious on that show! I'll have to check out Baghead sometime in the future. Thanks for the recommendation!

Life was a great flick! Some of the best R-rated sci-fi/horror in a long, long time. I'm so bummed that it sunk at the box office. Sony didn't market it enough and it has such a generic title. It should've made a lot more.

Yeah, apparently, there were glowing lights in the Phoenix sky one night in 1997 and a lot of UFO sightings were reported. I recommend giving The Phoenix Incident a shot. The alien designs were pretty cool.

Troy Baker's an immensely talented actor. His voice work has always been phenomenal, so it was interesting to see him in a live-action project.

I've never seen the Mindy project, I think safety not guaranteed was my first time seeing a duplass at work, then I went backwards realising him and his bro was also directors etc I also want to see the puffy chair. Actually looking at their work Cyrus would of been the first film of theirs I see

Oh I didn't realise life didn't do too well. I actually thought it was marketed ok over here, there were a lot of tv spots anyway especially Inbetween shows and adverts around 8-10pm when everyone's at home watching their dramas.
Yeah the title could of been much better. Not sure what though. Maybe "Calvin" lol nah that wouldn't of worked

Ah ok, seems to sound about right, I remember me and my mates watching the fourth kind and we had to look up after if any if it was true, as in the language they talk about and some other bits but we found out it was all made up for the film. Made it quite convincing tbh but when I watched it again I was less impressed

Funny thing about Troy is he looks nothing like how you have in mind for the characters he plays in games lol. He kinda has a domhnall gleeson look about him and just don't look like he could voice Joel in last of us. But yeah great voice actor

The Phoenix lights were (very well) debunked. It's crazy how people keep on believing that it was a UFO event, when it was proven exactly what it was.
(Hint - this is a major area for the Air Force).

As always, but good talking points for conspiracy theories and ideas for films

And it's always the Air Force when it comes to that thing

Horror + found footage = big chance Flloydo will like it. :p

I've never actually seen either of the Blair Witch films... saw bits of the first, but it never really interested me enough to properly check it out (plus I was always too scared lol). I might finally check them out now that I'm slowly coming around to liking horror though... speaking of which, I recently watched Don't Breathe and loved it! :D

Troy Baker you say? Consider me in! I agree with Flloydo that it actually looks more interesting than this new film. For one, I can only handle so much shaky cam, so I like that The Phoenix Incident mixes it up. Thanks for the recommendation dude. :thumbs:

:joy: Am I that transparent lol

There are some really good ones though - another gem is afflicted. Well I liked it

You might not like the 1st Blair witch, not sure but I reccomend them considering it all started with that one. Still need to pick the steels up at some point

Ah I'm glad you liked don't breathe, really enjoyed that. Ending goes crazy
Was talking to a mate about that last night and funnily enough hush

Have you seen coherence? Same to you ken? C.C 95 introduced me to this and it's become a instant favourite of mine. Absolutely genius, low budget and great acting with a very very very cool idea

:joy: Am I that transparent lol

There are some really good ones though - another gem is afflicted. Well I liked it

You might not like the 1st Blair witch, not sure but I reccomend them considering it all started with that one. Still need to pick the steels up at some point

Ah I'm glad you liked don't breathe, really enjoyed that. Ending goes crazy
Was talking to a mate about that last night and funnily enough hush

Have you seen coherence? Same to you ken? C.C 95 introduced me to this and it's become a instant favourite of mine. Absolutely genius, low budget and great acting with a very very very cool idea
Who said that? I can't see you. :giggle:

Not heard of Afflicted before... looks pretty creepy though! Will add it to my new list of horror films to check out. :thumbs:

Hmm it's always a tough one to call when it comes to me and horror, as you know lol. I remember Blair Witch being huge when it first came out though and all my pals were going on about it at school, whilst I'm just stood there like "f*** that I like being able to sleep at night" :LOL:. I've always wanted to check it out though, mostly just for the fact that it was very different to anything else back then.

I liked how Don't Breath was a mixture of horror and thriller, so there were some twists in there that I didn't see coming! Would love a sequel of some sort. :D

I saw Coherence back on release but wasn't really in the mood for it, so I think a lot of it went over my head. Been meaning to revisit it though as I remember it being quite clever, despite me being half asleep at the time. :p

• Thanks
Who said that? I can't see you. :giggle:

Not heard of Afflicted before... looks pretty creepy though! Will add it to my new list of horror films to check out. :thumbs:

Hmm it's always a tough one to call when it comes to me and horror, as you know lol. I remember Blair Witch being huge when it first came out though and all my pals were going on about it at school, whilst I'm just stood there like "f*** that I like being able to sleep at night" :LOL:. I've always wanted to check it out though, mostly just for the fact that it was very different to anything else back then.

I liked how Don't Breath was a mixture of horror and thriller, so there were some twists in there that I didn't see coming! Would love a sequel of some sort. :D

I saw Coherence back on release but wasn't really in the mood for it, so I think a lot of it went over my head. Been meaning to revisit it though as I remember it being quite clever, despite me being half asleep at the time. :p

Lol

Afflicted was reccomended to me a few years back by a mate who's fussy as hell so I took his word for it and enjoyed it, I've only seen it once so I might give that another go tonight. But I remember enjoying it. Had a feel of one of the segments from the original V/H/S film - if you seen that you might know the segment I mean

Yeah sometimes I know you will like it and sometimes I can't tell but you have surprised me with horror recently and that's good. Because you will miss out on some decent films that aren't necessarily gory or straight out scary etc
Plus it's such a range of films that even things like cloverfiled can be classed as a horror or films like the neon demon. I've seen a lot of films that are classed as horror but you instantly think of bloody gory films and they aren't at all. Conjuring is very well made and has barely any blood etc

Mate Blair witch sh*t me up when I was younger, I remember being at school and it was this phenomenon and none of my mates liked horror films so I watched it on my own and I was freaking out lol but then it got to the end and I had nothin to worry about. Just made the woods a bit scarier for me lol

Whereas paranormal activity even at 23 or whatever age I was, freaked me the hell out. I fell out with horror for a few years after that because it creeped me out so much and made me paranoid. Didn't help I was smoking something at the time (around those years heavily) but yeah it played on my mind that film. Now I can watch it on my own like a big boy lol

Yeah agree with don't breathe, i just didn't see it coming. Went kinda fincher esque for me. Especially that ending. Good horror thriller. Still need to pick that up but I don't have much money at the mo and don't want to pay £19.99 for the steel even though I thought it was great!

Oh really? Yeah give it another go mate. I just loved it. I thought it was going to go over my head but I found it quite easy to follow and work out what was happening (and who's who!)
Funny how something so simple can make an impression on you. And that was perfect filmmaking for me. One of those films i wish I came up with and made.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database