Platoon (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Shout Factory) [USA]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 18, 2018
Purchase links: Shout Factory - Amazon US - Best Buy - WowHD - Walmart
Price: $22.99 (Shout Factory) - $19.99 (Amazon - Best Buy) - €19.59 (WowHD) - $19.61 (Walmart)
Notes: Limited to 10,000 copies, this set boasts a brand-new brand-new 4K scan approved by Oliver Stone, audio commentary, deleted and extended scenes, featurettes and more!

37070658_10156453060121310_7453810317940752384_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
51-XIiV3zML._AC_SY400_.jpg

Not sure what to do about this one. I'm not sold on the steelbook itself. It's very boring. The UK one is miles better and we know it'll probably have a blank interior with a single quote from the film going by Shout Factory's previous steelbooks.

I'd really only be getting it for the new transfer. Although in hand pics of a full gloss steelbook might change my mind.

Think I'll wait and see in hand pics before deciding.

Looks nice overall, but shame about the lazy back art, which is just a zoomed in area of the front.

This will sound stupid but is it a 4k disc. I get the impression it’s downscaled to 1080? Thanks as about to order.
It's a blu-ray disc with a 4K scan remaster

4K remaster scan does not mean 4K UHD Video format
4K scan restoration means a negative or interpositive was scanned at 4K and from this scan they have done the remastering creating a digital file to be then used with a Blu-ray or other formats

Film scans of negatives are often done at 2K/4K/6K/8K/12K and then this scan is used to create restoration of the film involved

2K or 4K scan of a negative It's about the film restoration done not the video format that it's released on be it a Blu-ray or UHD or a Digital Copy

Reactions: Masta Norris
OK, looking like a watercolour in the rain but attractive despite that . . . can't be sure from previous pics but 'tis glossy and price of $15.33 at Amazon is attractive.

Pic courtesy SteelbookPro:-
1545963816187.png