PS3 Finally Hacked - Hack Released!!

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/23/ps3-finally-properly-hacked/

In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already known in the iPhone community) has made a strong claim: that he has cracked the PS3. The system has remained (mostly) uncompromised for over three years now, with a few exceptions here and there. But, this one pledges full read/write access to the entire system memory and complete control over the processor -- all without a mod chip. Has he really done it, if so how, and what comes next? That all remains to be seen. This exploit supposedly "isn't really patchable, but [Sony] can make implementations much harder," meaning he isn't tipping his hat until he's ready, because once he does the never-ending firmware update war begins, and as we've seen on the PSP, Sony can really knock out those updates.

please be true, please be true. hopefully pirating is hard to do if this is true tho..screw pirates :mad:

I don't care so much about the PS3 getting hacked as much as I care about making sure nobody can mess up my PS3 without my consent.

Too many jackasses out there that destroy other people's stuff just because they can.

Yeah, it's money to them. If it's true, Sony will pay him to keep it hush hush and explain how he did, and they'll do some FW upgrades.

I don't care so much about the PS3 getting hacked as much as I care about making sure nobody can mess up my PS3 without my consent.

Too many jackasses out there that destroy other people's stuff just because they can.

can't say i've ever heard of either of these scenario's happening with a hacked console

geohot_20070824.jpg

Sony has revealed it is investigating allegations that the PS3 has been hacked.

Earlier today, we reported how George Hotz, the iPhone 2G hacker, claims to have gained access to the PS3’s system memory and processor which, if true, may have profound piracy implications for Sony.

We contacted Sony and a spokesperson confirmed that the company is looking into the issue.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said the statement.

American hacks PlayStation 3; plays PS2 and pirated games

The PlayStation 3 is one of the hardest consoles to hack. The Wii, Xbox 360, and even the PSP were all hacked early in their lifecycles, yet the PS3 has gone for about three years without a solid hack. That is until an American, who is famous for unlocking the iPhone, found a way to hack Sony’s console.

George Hotz, known as “GeoHot,” told BBC News that it took him only five weeks to hack the PS3. While his technique still needs some refinement, he said he intends to post his exploits on his blog soon.

“It’s supposed to be unhackable – but nothing is unhackable,” he told BBC News. “I can now do whatever I want with the system. It’s like I’ve got an awesome new power – I’m just not sure how to wield it.”

His efforts all started last summer when he spent three weeks analyzing the PS3’s hardware. After several months working on other projects, it took him another two weeks to hack the PS3, which he calls a “very secure system.”

It appears the bulk of his hack is software based. He said he has yet to hack the protected memory, but his hack allows the console to play pirated or homebrew games, install different operating systems, and even play PlayStation 2 games.

Over on his blog, he wrote, “I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.”

“3 years, 2 months, 11 days...that’s a pretty secure system,” he wrote.

I KNEW they were bullshitting when they said they they removed the component to play PS2 games to save money.

They removed the emotion engine chip (which I'm positive they did as others would have noticed by now) from the consoles but I certain there would be a way to emulate PS2 environment using the PS3... just whether or not Sony wanted to allocate resources to make it available to the public whether it be programming the software or paying someone else to write it

They removed the emotion engine chip (which I'm positive they did as others would have noticed by now) from the consoles but I certain there would be a way to emulate PS2 environment using the PS3... just whether or not Sony wanted to allocate resources to make it available to the public whether it be programming the software or paying someone else to write it

I guess I should have wrote function opposed to chip... I've always thought the lack of PS2 play was for their monetary gain, once they got PS2 games on the PSN.