Quadrophenia (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 10th, 2016
Purchase link: Quadrophenia (Pre-orders will be live at 6pm UK BST time on Sunday September 4th)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Includes slipcase. Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if a remaster is on the cards. Would love a 4K master.

Yes, would be nice but unlikely IMO.

The U.S Criterion and the U.K. Universal appear to have differences but each version has something missing in the other. The general feeling is that the sound is better on the Criterion (region "A" locked) but the Universal (region free) .has interesting extras not found on the other.

"The Criterion version is a DTS MA remix from the original multi tracks and
sounds fantastic, also the PQ between this and the UK version is like night and day. "

The Criterion has been reviewed by SLANT in 2012 as :-

"Image/Sound

The Criterion Collection's Quadrophenia Blu-ray trumps the original, out-of-print DVD in every conceivable department. Their new 1080p digital transfer brings out the films inherent grain structure, producing a highly immersive picture. There are a few unavoidable damage marks on the print, but barring these, this is an authentic, well-contrasted transfer. Colors are appropriately warm and the overcast English pallor is both rich and palpable, accentuating cinematographer Brian Tufano's deep-focus photography. Black levels are well balanced and, overall, the image is unexpectedly clear and pleasingly film-like.
Sound is even more impressive. The original 2.0 stereo soundtrack is preserved for posterity's sake in remastered form, but a new 5.1 surround mix is the highlight of the entire package. Supervised by the remaining members of the Who and the band's sound engineer Bob Pridden, this new, remixed soundtrack is revelatory. Songs literally explode from the speakers, each element balanced and placed just-so in their respective channels. Dialogue is likewise crisp and boisterous, with the lossless track creating a dynamic back and forth between words and music. This is one of the most commendable and successful soundtrack remixes the Blu-ray format has thus afforded."

. . . and according to HI-DEF DIGEST:-

"The Audio: Rating the Sound
The audio is available in English LPCM 2.0 and DTS-HD Master Audio. The extensive liner notes reveal, "The film was originally released with a 2.0 stereo soundtrack, which is presented as the default track on this disc. It was restored and remastered at 24-bit from the 1979 Dolby magnetic master. Artifacts such as dropouts, azimuth errors, hums, and thumps were manually mitigated using the Pro Tools HD platform. "Pete Townsend originally envisioned the 1973 album Quadrophenia as a quadraphonic, or four-channel surround, recording. In 2011, Townsend and the Who's sound engineer, Bob Pridden, went back to the record's original source tapes to create a deluxe, remastered box set of the album, entitled Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut, for which they also created new 5.1 surround versions of certain songs. Knowing that this work had been done, Criterion contacted the band and asked them to work with us on making 5.1 versions of the Who songs in the movie. "For this release of 'Quadrophenia', we created an all-new, remixed 5.1 surround soundtrack, produced at 24-bit using a variety of sound elements from the original album and the 1979 movie. All the Who music was taken from first-generation sources - 4 track 1/2-inch, 8 track 1-inch, and 16-track and 24-track 2-inch analogue tapes - found in the band's archives. In some cases, the songs were reconstructed from scratch from these original multitrack recordings. The film's dialogue and effects were taken from the original 35mm dialogue/music/effects magnetic audio stems. The availability of these separate dialogue and effects stems enabled us to render a detailed and engaging 5.1 audio image. Under the supervision of the band and the film's editor, Sean Barton, a brand-new mix was created at Deluxe 142, in London, by mixer Alan Sallabank, and approved by director Franc Roddam. The staggering result is an immersive experience, and we suggest you play it loud.
I would echo that suggestion because the 5.1 mix sounds amazing, so I am not going to side with the purists this time. The music has outstanding fidelity. The vocals, which are primarily Roger Daltrey's, are clear and don't get buried in the mix. John Entwistle's superb work is on display right from "The Real Me" in the opening credits. Heavy yet nimble bass lines get the subwoofer thumping as does Keith Moon's controlled, chaotic drumming. The warm brassy tone of the horns rings out during "5.15". Townshend's masterful guitar work has rarely sounded better.
When songs are from sources within a scene, like "Be My Baby" playing at Sandra's party, the room tone ambiance softens the clarity and power of the music. Overall ambiance is good. For example, down in Brighton, the large group of kids milling and the chaos that ensues can be heard in the surrounds. The dialogue is clear and quiet moments are free of hiss or defect. The track has an extremely wide dynamic range, from the loudness of The Who rocking to quiet sounds like faint footsteps running across wet pavement."

If you want (reportedly) the best sounding version then there's this Audio only / no Vdeo Blu-ray from 2014 although I appreciate this is probably not what you are looking for :-

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/quadrophenia-finally-in-51-surround.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPUUPLA/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: UpsetSmiley
Yes, would be nice but unlikely IMO.

The U.S Criterion and the U.K. Universal appear to have differences but each version has something missing in the other. The general feeling is that the sound is better on the Criterion (region "A" locked) but the Universal (region free) .has interesting extras not found on the other.

"The Criterion version is a DTS MA remix from the original multi tracks and
sounds fantastic, also the PQ between this and the UK version is like night and day. "

The Criterion has been reviewed by SLANT in 2012 as :-

"Image/Sound

The Criterion Collection's Quadrophenia Blu-ray trumps the original, out-of-print DVD in every conceivable department. Their new 1080p digital transfer brings out the films inherent grain structure, producing a highly immersive picture. There are a few unavoidable damage marks on the print, but barring these, this is an authentic, well-contrasted transfer. Colors are appropriately warm and the overcast English pallor is both rich and palpable, accentuating cinematographer Brian Tufano's deep-focus photography. Black levels are well balanced and, overall, the image is unexpectedly clear and pleasingly film-like.
Sound is even more impressive. The original 2.0 stereo soundtrack is preserved for posterity's sake in remastered form, but a new 5.1 surround mix is the highlight of the entire package. Supervised by the remaining members of the Who and the band's sound engineer Bob Pridden, this new, remixed soundtrack is revelatory. Songs literally explode from the speakers, each element balanced and placed just-so in their respective channels. Dialogue is likewise crisp and boisterous, with the lossless track creating a dynamic back and forth between words and music. This is one of the most commendable and successful soundtrack remixes the Blu-ray format has thus afforded."

. . . and according to HI-DEF DIGEST:-

"The Audio: Rating the Sound
The audio is available in English LPCM 2.0 and DTS-HD Master Audio. The extensive liner notes reveal, "The film was originally released with a 2.0 stereo soundtrack, which is presented as the default track on this disc. It was restored and remastered at 24-bit from the 1979 Dolby magnetic master. Artifacts such as dropouts, azimuth errors, hums, and thumps were manually mitigated using the Pro Tools HD platform. "Pete Townsend originally envisioned the 1973 album Quadrophenia as a quadraphonic, or four-channel surround, recording. In 2011, Townsend and the Who's sound engineer, Bob Pridden, went back to the record's original source tapes to create a deluxe, remastered box set of the album, entitled Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut, for which they also created new 5.1 surround versions of certain songs. Knowing that this work had been done, Criterion contacted the band and asked them to work with us on making 5.1 versions of the Who songs in the movie. "For this release of 'Quadrophenia', we created an all-new, remixed 5.1 surround soundtrack, produced at 24-bit using a variety of sound elements from the original album and the 1979 movie. All the Who music was taken from first-generation sources - 4 track 1/2-inch, 8 track 1-inch, and 16-track and 24-track 2-inch analogue tapes - found in the band's archives. In some cases, the songs were reconstructed from scratch from these original multitrack recordings. The film's dialogue and effects were taken from the original 35mm dialogue/music/effects magnetic audio stems. The availability of these separate dialogue and effects stems enabled us to render a detailed and engaging 5.1 audio image. Under the supervision of the band and the film's editor, Sean Barton, a brand-new mix was created at Deluxe 142, in London, by mixer Alan Sallabank, and approved by director Franc Roddam. The staggering result is an immersive experience, and we suggest you play it loud.
I would echo that suggestion because the 5.1 mix sounds amazing, so I am not going to side with the purists this time. The music has outstanding fidelity. The vocals, which are primarily Roger Daltrey's, are clear and don't get buried in the mix. John Entwistle's superb work is on display right from "The Real Me" in the opening credits. Heavy yet nimble bass lines get the subwoofer thumping as does Keith Moon's controlled, chaotic drumming. The warm brassy tone of the horns rings out during "5.15". Townshend's masterful guitar work has rarely sounded better.
When songs are from sources within a scene, like "Be My Baby" playing at Sandra's party, the room tone ambiance softens the clarity and power of the music. Overall ambiance is good. For example, down in Brighton, the large group of kids milling and the chaos that ensues can be heard in the surrounds. The dialogue is clear and quiet moments are free of hiss or defect. The track has an extremely wide dynamic range, from the loudness of The Who rocking to quiet sounds like faint footsteps running across wet pavement."

If you want (reportedly) the best sounding version then there's this Audio only / no Vdeo Blu-ray from 2014 although I appreciate this is probably not what you are looking for :-

http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-music/quadrophenia-finally-in-51-surround.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPUUPLA/?tag=hidefnin-20

Thanks for that, I purchased the UK amaray some time ago. I would opt for the Criterion but read about the discrepancies between the two transfers. Would like a deluxe edition, perhaps by Arrow. They do acquire many Universal releases so there's always a glimmer of hope.

Reactions: psychoscot
Mine arrived... steelbook is matte with no bossing. Looks pretty good though overall, especially with it having different artwork on both the slip and steel. Thankfully they used those circular stickers to hold the j-card on this time too, which are much easier to get off than the awful tacky glue they usually use.

Mine arrived... steelbook is matte with no bossing. Looks pretty good though overall, especially with it having different artwork on both the slip and steel. Thankfully they used those circular stickers to hold the j-card on this time too, which are much easier to get off than the awful tacky glue they usually use.

That was quick. Is the slip of similar quality to the Topgun one?

That was quick. Is the slip of similar quality to the Topgun one?
I didn't buy the Top Gun edition, but the slip is the exact same quality as Bueller and In the West... I'm assuming they're the same as TG too.

• Thanks
Reactions: lights