Scott7's Pixel Palace Theater

Scott7

Home Theater Fanatic
Premium Supporter
Jul 2, 2012
Maryland
We bought our house and about 6 months later, I started working on turning the basement into a dedicated home theater. With the help and dedication of a very good friend, we built a home theater complete with a media/projection room, as well as a small lobby.

Here are some pics of the theater. Please let me know what you think!

14141123705_742b97580a_c.jpg

14141124085_ab5f4f5fc3_c.jpg

13954477620_0cab9ec462_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@STARKILLER 1138 ,
You DO know that people here are dining on your info about properly setting up a collectibles room (with all your info on cabinets, doors, lighting. Etc.)??!!
True story! :D
And as amazing as watching your thread about your SW room is, no one mentions how much their wallet sympathetically weeps while reading!!:LOL:
(Cool thing is....it is actually a strong investment!!)

Reactions: STARKILLER 1138
That set up sounds great! As I'm sure you know, your sound is a highly subjective affair. I actually have very different speakers for studio vs. Home theater. I have always enjoyed Paradigm and Polk Audio. But, I can't stress enough how subjective and tricky audio gets. For instance, I am aware of my tastes & hearing, I prefer to push high and low frequency and cut mids. Some people hate that!! I learned long ago that I have to mix to my hearing. After all, I am not a public venue and this is for my own pleasure. (If I was a public venue, I would bring in diagnostic equipment and calibrate professionally).
The great thing about home audio now, is how great you can sound with very little (in size & money).
10 years ago I would have chuckled if you said I could decently cover LCR channels with a soundbar!
And even the new Atmos installs I've seen diagrams of are really cutting edge- using small, hidden, directionally bounced speakers to achieve a sound matrix that would have cost you a small fortune in very labor intensive carpentry and installation. (People with funky-shaped rooms can now get a decent surround home theater!)
It really is exciting. A great home theater is no longer for the very wealthy!
And the technology is so good now (dummy-proof, as it were),
that you would actually have to work at screwing it up!!
I think you did a great job on that space!!
I will take notes as I am one move away from doing my own!
I also want to mix in actual 35 and 16 Millimeter prints!!
I want a celluloid library!
I'm not getting younger so.... :LOL:
I'm going to leave you with this very important article on the future of cinema.
James Cameron explains:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/james-cameron-says-future-of-movies-will-be-watchi,35935/
View attachment 134493
My first pair of decent speakers was a pair of Polks that I just loved. I've heard Paradigms on a number of occasions and have enjoyed them, too.

Your listening preference is interesting...you should try the B&W P7 headphones sometime. I believe they have a similar frequency response curve, and it makes for a very engaging sound.

"The Hollywood mogul went on to outline a number of the highly specialized features he foresees as part of his lap-based movie experience, including the 59-year-old clinging tightly to viewers during a movie’s most suspenseful scenes, cradling them gently in his arms during emotional moments, and placing a warm blanket over any audience member who falls asleep on him.

Hilarious! That article is a keeper!

Reactions: C.C. 95
My first pair of decent speakers was a pair of Polks that I just loved. I've heard Paradigms on a number of occasions and have enjoyed them, too.

Your listening preference is interesting...you should try the B&W P7 headphones sometime. I believe they have a similar frequency response curve, and it makes for a very engaging sound.

"The Hollywood mogul went on to outline a number of the highly specialized features he foresees as part of his lap-based movie experience, including the 59-year-old clinging tightly to viewers during a movie’s most suspenseful scenes, cradling them gently in his arms during emotional moments, and placing a warm blanket over any audience member who falls asleep on him.

Hilarious! That article is a keeper!
I loved the balance of Polks the first time I heard them too.
(And like you, my first really good speakers way back when.)
At this point, no one is really making a 'bad' speaker anymore. Now it is more about choosing the speaker that has the color and dynamic range that you, as a listener, prefer. (There are necessary speakers for reference quality in studios- but that is a whole different thing.)
And, that article had me howling with laughter! Because the only people more obsessive about this stuff than audiophiles and cinephiles, are directors and musicians.
Example: when I did my first musical score for a film, the producers messed around with the final mix (and I was not pleased). Whenever it played in any 'screening room' style theater at festivals, I actually sat in the back row (where the rear center seat has controls for lights, volume, etc.)
and I 'rode' the volume to 'adjust the mix' on the fly!
That is OCD!!:rofl:
(And if you wanted to hear a piece of music I wrote, I would always gladly come over to your house to make sure you heard it correctly on your system!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7
I can relate to your OCD! I enjoy spending hours in the theater, making very minute adjustments to the potentiometers on my speakers and adjusting speaker position using a laser!

I think you are right about speakers not really being "bad" anymore. For me, I usually look for an acoustic signature that is not too forward/bright, but not dulled down, either. Having control over midrange and treble gain on the mains definitely helps to tune in the signature you want, but it can drive you crazy with adjustments, too.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I can relate to your OCD! I enjoy spending hours in the theater, making very minute adjustments to the potentiometers on my speakers and adjusting speaker position using a laser!

I think you are right about speakers not really being "bad" anymore. For me, I usually look for an acoustic signature that is not too forward/bright, but not dulled down, either. Having control over midrange and treble gain on the mains definitely helps to tune in the signature you want, but it can drive you crazy with adjustments, too.
So true!
After years and years of adjustments, I have reached this conclusion- I have to readjust according to each piece of material. I just do. If I throw in a 3D movie, I know I have to re-adjust the luminescence (because 3D is mastered differently and can be too dark). Every different TV network (and their shows) have totally different lighting schemes. (One news show looks fine, the next show is blowing 'hot' with white light).
But, I am resigned to the fact that I have 'base' A/V settings, but will have to 'fine tune' for each movie or CD, or show. (I will look at a scene and adjust before watching the movie). It is minor tweaking from the 'base' settings, but has to be done on a view by view basis.
(The mistake I see the most, by far, are people not have a proper black level before adjusting from there...)
Oh, and please don't listen to music in surround unless it was made in surround! Surround sound on stereo music obliterates the mix! (multi-channel Stereo is fine)...
You also want to avoid the 'over-tweak' situation. Best way to describe that is- if optimum is the peak of a mountain, 'over-tweak' is going so far as to be going back down the mountain on the other side because you over shot the mark. Always take breaks from listening, so you can get 'fresh ears' again.
:D

@STARKILLER 1138 ,
You DO know that people here are dining on your info about properly setting up a collectibles room (with all your info on cabinets, doors, lighting. Etc.)??!!
True story! :D
And as amazing as watching your thread about your SW room is, no one mentions how much their wallet sympathetically weeps while reading!!:LOL:
(Cool thing is....it is actually a strong investment!!)

OMG! The pressure! ;)

And to everyones wallets, I appreciate the sympathy. Mine is in total denial. LOL!

I've been giving my collectibles display some serious thought this weekend, spurned on by help provided in this thread and by my thoughts about where I want to "go" with this aspect of the hobby. I don't have large swaths of free real estate in my lobby, but I am starting to consider some ways around that. I'll update this thread with ideas once I've matured them a little bit, but in the meantime, please keep your ideas and suggestions coming. Thanks!

@Scott7 - Scott, what profession are you in? If it isn't home theater planning & development; then you are in the wrong business, my friend! I thought I had posted in your thread a LONG time ago, but apparently I was wrong. What you have done with your basement is nothing short of extraordinary, buddy! You have achieved, what I consider to be, the PERFECT CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE!!! Sure, there could be minor tweaks made here and there based on personal preference (you need a Hulk statue somewhere!), but the overall feel you've attained is BEYOND EPIC!!!

My fiancé and I are planning a vacation soon. She has suggested Napa Valley or DisneyWorld/-Land. I think I'll be suggesting Scott's basement! For a Cinephile, you've fashioned your own (and MANY others'), personal, cinema-inspired theme park!!! I've recently "finished" my media room, and I can't even fathom the substantial sense of pride you must feel when you go down there and relish the vast amount of work, time and money that you've put into it!!!

You have truly done an AMAZING JOB, my friend!!!

Reactions: Marco86 and Scott7
Mathew,

LOL - I would be worried about losing my joy of the hobby if I did it professionally, and at any rate, trust me when I tell you that I had a lot of help. I enjoyed building it as much as I do using it.

Good grief...can you imagine how big a 1:1 Hilk statue would be? That would be amazing! I love The Avengers, as the lobby shows, so that would not be horrible to own!

I'm pretty sure you and your fiancé will have a better time in Disney World or Napa, but stop by if you are ever on the East Coast!