Southpaw - In theaters July 24, 2015

kbr1656

Ninja Mountaineer
Premium Supporter
Mar 15, 2011
Morgantown, WV
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Southpaw (2015)

Tagline: Believe in Hope.

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Antoine Fuqua[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Jake Gyllenhaal[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Rachel McAdams[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Forest Whitaker[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Oona Laurence[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Naomie Harris[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Rita Ora[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]50 Cent[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Clare Foley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Tyrese Gibson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Beau Knapp[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2015-07-24[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: A boxer fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
aG6Rv35WmqrvkFQDKh2dveIiX4i.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

From IMDB:
A boxer fights his way to the top, only to find his life falling apart around him.

Director: Antoine Fuqua
Writer: Kurt Sutter
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Rachel McAdams, Naomie Harris, Forest Whitaker, 50 Cent, Victor Ortiz, Miguel Gomez

Trailer:

southpaw_movie_poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Fuqua just wanted any excuse to work with Jake. This was a very entertaining movie. The performances from Jake and the girl actor playing his daughter were excellent, but this screenplay must have been written by a child: it could definitely have used some more work. This could have been so much better. But I loooove Jake's acting in every project he does and Fuqua's direction is unique; I can definitely recommend that people see this movie.

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
This is probably the best movie I have seen all year. It's not perfect, but the acting performances are so good. Jake Gyllenhaal is amazing. Forest Whitaker is very good as well. It does have the typical boxing movie clichés, but somehow, at the same time, it's a very original take on the genre. And Antoine Fuqua's directing and style of cinematography, especially for the boxing matches, really bring it to life.

I think that Fuqua just wanted any excuse to work with Jake. This was a very entertaining movie. The performances from Jake and the girl actor playing his daughter were excellent, but this screenplay must have been written by a child: it could definitely have used some more work. This could have been so much better. But I loooove Jake's acting in every project he does and Fuqua's direction is unique; I can definitely recommend that people see this movie.

The relationship between Billy and his daughter was very well portrayed by Jake and Oona Laurence. By the way, Kurt Sutter, the creator of Sons of Anarchy, wrote the script.

I saw this the other day. Average film, but great acting from Jake Gyllenhaal (as always). I love him as an actor, he's so diverse. I feel as though the script may have been changed a fair amount from what Kurt Sutter wrote, I don't think he would have made it quite as cheesy and predictable as it sometimes was.

If you're a Jake Gyllenhaal fan, it's definitely worth seeing!!

Saw it last night, crowd were silent throughout. Thought the histrionics were a bit much but the interactions between Gyllenhaal and Whittaker and McAdams were good. The fights though, they were brutal and harsh. The camera work in those was always top notch and Gyllenhaal & Gomez looked great throughout.

I'd be interested to see what Creed's take will be later this year.

Last edited: