Spare Room into a Mini Man Cave - Ideas?

Oct 14, 2013
UK
Okay, so here's the deal. I've had a spare room for about 2 months now. It used to be my brothers before he moved out of the house.

I have my own bedroom which is used for my work, studying, that kind of thing. And I won't be changing that.

So for those past 2 months I have turned the spare into a bit of an entertainment/relaxation room. Somewhere I can chill out after a long day.

Has a TV in there, my small Blu-Ray Collection, a few bits and pieces, even my bed. Now this bedroom is probably one of the smallest you'll see.. It's just a box. As you'll see shortly.

But I say it doesn't matter how big or small. I believe with the right attitude and planning, anything can be turned into a man cave.

So here's a 360 of this potential man cave.

--

First we have my brothers pretty outdated 32" Panasonic TV mounted on the wall. Will be getting upgraded to a 40" closer to Christmas. That's the biggest I can go due to the room size.

It will be getting placed on top of the unit which I just bought a week ago to fit my Xbox 360/Laptop. Soon to be a new Blu-Ray Player along with the new TV.

11i0595.jpg

2r5akur.jpg

nz56v4.jpg

Next up we have the small cases in the corner of the room, one of them holding my Steelies, and the other my CD's/Games/Misc Items. Plus my dumbells which I plan to move out of here at some point to make more space.

Now this is something which I am planning to change over the last few months of this year. I'm thinking of something a little bigger to hold more, because I'll soon run out of space when I continue to build my collection.

Any ideas with this one?

14265xk.jpg

fefojp.jpg

Beside my bed here, I have a gap with enough space for maybe a mini fridge to place on top of the small table, or something like that. Refreshments are a must.

2ah5bmv.jpg

Now the main walls. Current posters are just place holders for now. Plenty of canvas for opportunities here.

Framed Posters? Wall Shelves?

What do you think?

r797qv.jpg

2ywcsyf.jpg

28srexf.jpg

t0q32a.jpg

jjnzio.jpg

20l82d.jpg

124zs6f.jpg

So there we have it. What do you think HDN? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of the beds :p first of all. I would probably combine some shelves along with the posters on the wall. If anything you could even get some wall speakers, but I wouldn't go 5.1 since it looks like a tiny room. Mini fridge somewhere there :p

Reactions: BrokenArrow
Its hard to give recommendations as a lot of things will be purely personal preference.... What size is the room in dimensions? That will help understand the space a lot more I think for those reading through the screen along with the pictures.

But one things for certain get rid of the bed from there.... it will help tremendously to getting that room, well room!

And is that elevated floor where the TV is sitting serving any purpose? Maybe think about taking it out and moving the TV to another spot (might be a bit of work but pay off in the end, also allowing you to put in a bigger tv).

Reactions: BrokenArrow
Its hard to give recommendations as a lot of things will be purely personal preference.... What size is the room in dimensions? That will help understand the space a lot more I think for those reading through the screen along with the pictures.

But one things for certain get rid of the bed from there.... it will help tremendously to getting that room, well room!

And is that elevated floor where the TV is sitting serving any purpose? Maybe think about taking it out and moving the TV to another spot (might be a bit of work but pay off in the end, also allowing you to put in a bigger tv).

I will get the dimensions when I have a bit more time, but as you can see it really is a small room. Just trying to think of a workaround and compensate a few things.

You have a really good point about the bed too, and i'd love to get something done about it, but then I'd have nowhere to sleep. An alternative is getting one of those folding beds which I've thought about before.

The elevated flooring is has no use to me, and I wish it wasn't there, but I'm unable to do anything about it. It is attached to the floor and keeps the stairs below it together.

The room is actually quite complicated to work on due to the size/shape. Knew that as soon as I started planning, but I'm gonna sort things out the best I can.

Some shelves attached to the walls as Horhay said, could save a bit of space. Keep things from getting cluttered in the corner when I build up more of a collection.

Tv you may be suprised at just how big you may be able to go downstires we have a Panasonic 42'inch upstires a Panasonic 37 inch origonaly it was a four year old 32 Toshiba. Basicly 2 years between the two Panasonics and souround is half an inch on the new one and 2 inch thiner in depth. So tape mesure at the ready and get the best spec and screen size that you can.

Think about paint insted of wallnpaper could make the room apere biger.

Fridge minni ones not the quietest of things so a good set of headphones.

Storage have a look at IKEA start watching stuff like Grand designs for inpetation. Another thing under bed storage wap some stuff under thire. Our two kids beds have draws bult in underneath. Think you can get storage on casters that you can pull out as well.

Hope I have not bored you to death and good luck :thumbs::D