May 30, 2014
Release date: 19th of October, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi - Live Sep 20, 2015 18:00 UK time
Price: £14.99
Note: Limited to 1000 copies

11164657-2844322249447457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MRD and paulboland
The Spanish site, mubis.es, has an article on the new restoration, illustrated with screencaps which you can slide between the 2010 and 2015 versions.

I'm prohibited from directly linking to other forums but once you enter the site, you'll see an image of Kirk Douglas with the heading, Comparativo Espartaco. Immediately below the image, you'll see the heading, Comparativa de Espartaco en Blu-ray. Click on that and it will take you to the article. Should the site get updated and the home page changed, search instead for Espartaco.

The screencaps are a revelation.

PS @Noodles This might change your mind about upgrading your Digibook to the Steelbook.
Thanks for the info mate. :thumbs:

Just checked them out and the new restoration definitely looks better... probably one of the best I've seen in all honesty. I'm in no rush to rewatch the film though, so will probably wait for a price drop.

Thanks for the info mate. :thumbs:

Just checked them out and the new restoration definitely looks better... probably one of the best I've seen in all honesty. I'm in no rush to rewatch the film though, so will probably wait for a price drop.
Its Limited to 1000 copies
I don't expect this will be around long enough for a price drop its possible if it don't sell well but you will can order from the USA the standard 4K transfer Amaray Blu-ray release and that's cheap at the moment

Its Limited to 1000 copies
I don't expect this will be around long enough for a price drop its possible if it don't sell well but you will can order from the USA the standard 4K transfer Amaray Blu-ray release and that's cheap at the moment
It's available from other countries as well, so I'll just get it from one of those if Zavvi's sells out before a price drop.

It's available from other countries as well, so I'll just get it from one of those if Zavvi's sells out before a price drop.
Italy steelbook is sold out
Its only Zavvi that have the steelbook available at the moment

Other countries only have the Amaray available to pre order

I see that but France €19.99 price after shipping is included to Ireland is €25.49 and is more expensive than Zavvi and yes Japan is very expensive
France also risk of artwork been changed to be in french and not English as they often do end up changed as we have seen with other releases

Don't forget until recently the VAT charge was not added to your order which I think is 18%. That makes a difference. As much as €5 in your order per item from European countries.

Don't forget until recently the VAT charge was not added to your order which I think is 18%. That makes a difference. As much as €5 in your order per item from European countries.
Vat was always added to your order with all Amazon EU Websites has always been if your based in a EU country and you used to be charged at that countries Vat rate

This was changed in Jan 2014 to be slightly different
The only change was in Jan 2014 the Vat rate would be your countries Vat rate instead of the the country your ordering from

Its now EU Law if you order from any EU Website your charged the Vat rate of the country your address is in the EU
Vat rates
UK the Vat rate is 20%
Rep of Ireland is 23%
France its 20%
Germany its 19%

So if your are based in the UK and order from Amazon Germany you will be charged 20% Vat and not German Vat rate 19%

If you based in Rep of Ireland and you order from Amazon UK you will be charged Vat rate 23% and not UK Vat rate 20%

Last edited:
Vat was always added to your order with all Amazon EU Websites has always been if your based in a EU country and you used to be charged at that countries Vat rate

This was changed in Jan 2014 to be slightly different
The only change was in Jan 2014 the Vat rate would be your countries Vat rate instead of the the country your ordering from

Its now EU Law if you order from any EU Website your charged the Vat rate of the country your address is in the EU
Vat rates
UK the Vat rate is 20%
Rep of Ireland is 23%
France its 20%
Germany its 19%

So if your are based in the UK and order from Amazon Germany you will be charged 20% Vat and not German Vat rate 19%

If you based in Rep of Ireland and you order from Amazon UK you will be charged Vat rate 23% and not UK Vat rate 20%

So if I'm based in Guernsey I don't pay VAT at all?

So if I'm based in Guernsey I don't pay VAT at all?
I'm not 100% on the Vat status when ordering from a seller based in the EU for customers based in Guernsey

Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm) are NOT part of the UK or the European Union for VAT purposes.
Items purchased in the UK are subject to VAT if the seller is VAT registered

I'm not sure how it work for customers based in the channel Islands you night be able to claim the Vat back but I don't know how that works as I live in Rep of Ireland and not been in a position to answer 100% how it would be in your case

Try a sample order with AmazonUK and see if the price changes
Not marketplace seller just amazon themselves

I'm not 100% on the Vat status when ordering from a seller based in the EU for customers based in Guernsey

Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm) are NOT part of the UK or the European Union for VAT purposes.
Items purchased in the UK are subject to VAT if the seller is VAT registered

I'm not sure how it work for customers based in the channel Islands you night be able to claim the Vat back but I don't know how that works as I live in Rep of Ireland and not been in a position to answer 100% how it would be in your case

Try a sample order with AmazonUK and see if the price changes
Not marketplace seller just amazon themselves

I'm not based in Guernsey. Was just curious about how it is with VAT in countries that don't have VAT.
But thanks for the other info. It is helpful.

Reactions: paulboland

Fine, you've convinced me (plus the 10% off code helped). :p;)

Although, I still expect the price to come down eventually... whether it be on Zavvi or Amazon.

Reactions: paulboland
I could be mistaken but I don't think the Italian 'Spartacus' steelbook has ever even been on sale (and therefore not 'Sold out') probably because of the situation regarding which disc will be inside which is reason enough to withdraw the item until sorted.

I've already pre-ordered the Italian version for 7.88 EUR.

Don't care about the disc because at that price, even if it is not the remastered disc, I will be able to buy that locally in the bargain bin over time.

Just want the SteelBook.

• Informative
Reactions: virkia
I could be mistaken but I don't think the Italian 'Spartacus' steelbook has ever even been on sale (and therefore not 'Sold out') probably because of the situation regarding which disc will be inside which is reason enough to withdraw the item until sorted.
Its sold out on amazon Italy because of the price they sold lots because the price is €9.67
It was available for a few weeks then quickly sold out when lot heard about the price reduced it was previously €14.99
If anyone cancelled their order with amazon Italy now it would show back available in stock within a minute
I did exactly this last week the stock I cancelled was made available to pre order and about 10 minutes later someone ordered the one I cancelled

Its Sold out because of sales

• Helpful Post
Its sold out on amazon Italy because of the price they sold lots because the price is €9.67
It was available for a few weeks then quickly sold out when lot heard about the price reduced it was previously €14.99
If anyone cancelled their order with amazon Italy now it would show back available in stock within a minute
I did exactly this last week the stock I cancelled was made available to pre order and about 10 minutes later someone ordered the one I cancelled

Its Sold out because of sales

What @paulboland has written above is correct.

I suspect that the reason the site isn't awash with cancelled orders for this item is due to one of three reasons.

1) Most people who've ordered it aren't aware of the potential problem with the disc being included.

2) Some of those who are aware aren't bothered because of its cheap price, and will double dip later to swap out the problem disc.

3) Whilst the remainder, like myself, are waiting on an official announcement from either Universal or Amazon, rather than relying on an exchange which took place on a social media site.

Hopefully, given the proximity of the release date, that confirmation will be forthcoming very soon.

Without getting into any issues over how the film was restored, there is no reason whatsoever to doubt whether the disc in the Amazon.it is any different to that released in any other country!

The cover of the Italian issue says "55th Anniversary Restored Edition" - just as the Uk one does.

That should be enough to tell you it IS the restoration edition; everything else is simply unsubstantiated internet rumour!

Quiet apart form anything else, legally they could not possibly put such a claim on the cover, and NOT have the goods meet that description -

Ask yourself, would they even take such a stupid risk?

No! Of course they wouldn't.

Thanks, folks, for the input regarding this release as there has been a fair amount of confusing information floating around . . .
As I understand it, this 55TH ANNIVERSARY RESTORED IN 4K EDITION STEELBOOK will be released next month in four territories:-
(1) U.K. / FRANCE / ITALY - all priced ATM at about GBP 15.
(2) JAPAN - for some unknown reason priced ATM quite a bit higher at about GBP 25.
The U.K. to my knowledge is the only territory to list their allocation of 1,000 copies so I presume that other territories will have considerably more to shift (3,000 each ?) and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fair bit cheaper again (ref. previous Amazon.It price) in a few months.

Thanks, folks, for the input regarding this release as there has been a fair amount of confusing information floating around . . .
As I understand it, this 55TH ANNIVERSARY RESTORED IN 4K EDITION STEELBOOK will be released next month in four territories:-
(1) U.K. / FRANCE / ITALY - all priced ATM at about GBP 15.
(2) JAPAN - for some unknown reason priced ATM quite a bit higher at about GBP 25.
The U.K. to my knowledge is the only territory to list their allocation of 1,000 copies so I presume that other territories will have considerably more to shift (3,000 each ?) and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a fair bit cheaper again (ref. previous Amazon.It price) in a few months.

@virkia The reason the prices are so high in Japan for all recorded media (CD, DVD and Blu Ray) is that Japan has a nationwide rental service which is government run/assisted, which is heavily subsidised in order to encourage people to use it.
This the prices of recorded media in Japan have been held at artificially high prices since the advent of VHS. If you check you'll find that CD prices in Japan are more or less in line with the high prices they commanded upon their advent and first comemrcial release way back in '82 (Billy Joel - 52nd Street) - in Japan as it happens.

Hope that helps with that bit of the question/statement.

Cheers,

p.s. The First Commercially Released CD single was "Classic John Martyn" aka Angeline: Island CID 265 February 1986. Actually a 5 track in a foldout digipack format - and very nice it is too :)

John-Martyn-Classic-John-Mart-83298.jpg

John-Martyn-Classic-John-Mart-83298.jpg
$_57.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative