Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition - The Complete Adventure (4K + Blu-ray Collector's Edition) [USA]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 6, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon
Price: $82.99

71aUdrmCV8L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The newly restored, definitive version of the first big-screen adventure is presented in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision™ and HDR-10, as well as Dolby Atmos®. Also includes access to a Digital copy of the film and the following new and legacy bonus content:

Ultra HD Disc bonus features:

• Audio Commentary with David C. Fein, Mike Matessino, and Daren R. Dochterman—NEW!
  • Audio Commentary by Robert Wise, Douglas Trumbull, John Dykstra, Jerry Goldsmith, and Stephen Collins
  • Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda
Blu-ray Disc™ bonus features:

• The Human Adventure—An all-new 8-part documentary detailing how the Director’s Edition came to life—NEW!
  • Preparing the Future – How the remastering began
  • A Wise Choice – The storied history of Robert Wise
  • Refitting the Enterprise – How the Enterprise design shaped future federation starships
  • Sounding Off – Exploring new dimensions of sound in Dolby Atmos
  • V’ger - The conception and restoration of an iconic alien antagonist
  • Return to Tomorrow – Reaching an already high bar with new CGI effects
  • A Grand Theme – Behind the iconic, influential music score that shaped the franchise’s future
  • The Grand Vision – The legacy and evolving reputation of this classic movie
  • Deleted Scenes — NEW!
  • Effects Tests — NEW!
  • Costume Tests — NEW!
  • Computer Display Graphics — NEW!
  • Additional legacy bonus content

Star Trek: The Motion Picture—The Director’s Edition—The Complete Adventure 4K Ultra HD​

This Limited-Edition Collector’s Set includes all of the above, plus an additional 4K Ultra HD disc containing:

• The Theatrical Cut
  • The first-ever widescreen presentation of the Special Longer Version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, originally created for broadcast television in 1983
The set is presented in deluxe packaging along with exclusive collectibles, including reproductions of original promotional material, a booklet with behind-the-scenes images, stickers, and more.

Reactions: Seraph
@Space Cadet But where are the steelbooks?!!
and, damn thats a hefty price just for the one cut that isn't in the standalone edition or the movies box set.
Yeah - was wondering if only USA might get a steel,, but obviously not, at this point.... Just another reason to re-release in 2 years...

Looks like USA edition does not have the film on Blu-ray disc TBC

At the moment looks like USA release is 2 UHD discs and 1 Blu-ray extras disc + Digital copy

UK edition is better option as that is a 5 discs release and cheaper than USA edition

I watched this last night, after all the hyperbolic reviews I was a little disappointed with it but having slept on it I think I know why.

The first reason would be that previously I'd only seen the theatrical release on the old Blu-ray and that disc is awful BUT it's UNIFORMLY awful whereas this new 4k release is not and that I think makes the parts that are still terrible (mainly optically printed shots) look worse compared to the rest.

The second reason is that the scene where Spock, Kirk and Bones have a discussion about V'Ger in the lounge area is quite possibly the worst compositing job I've ever laid my eyes on. They've changed the windows in the background but when character stand against it, it's absolutely appalling.

There's also some very weird focus issues, scenes where half the background is out of focus but the other half, literally vertically split, is not.

What are your thoughts....?

There's also some very weird focus issues, scenes where half the background is out of focus but the other half, literally vertically split, is not.
you are talking about a split dioper lens. This has been used many times in many movies- it's biggest fan probably being Brian de Palma.
it allows you to have things far away in focus and things close up also in focus by splitting the lens down the middle. (Two different focus planes on either side)
the closer image side of the lens will usually have a shallow focus plane, so the background will be out of focus.
F4BD4E1F-42D8-4FB0-8425-2B68AA25571E.jpeg
4E5C2DB8-4EAE-44F4-8670-162889C30A38.jpeg
DACF394A-275C-46C1-981F-5F99F856FC3F.jpeg

Reactions: Andy3105
you are talking about a split dioper lens. This has been used many times in many movies- it's biggest fan probably being Brian de Palma.
it allows you to have things far away in focus and things close up also in focus by splitting the lens down the middle. (Two different focus planes on either side)
the closer image side of the lens will usually have a shallow focus plane, so the background will be out of focus.
View attachment 540987View attachment 540990View attachment 540991
Yes that top picture is the exact scene that made me think I needed an eye test, it's so weird that I never noticed it on the old Blu-ray.