Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: December 4, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11515044-1284500093120690.jpg

11515044-1094500093176202.jpg11515044-1454500093245247.jpg

Extras:
  • NEW – T2: Reprogramming The Terminator documentary (including exclusive interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong and many more)
  • 2 feature Commentaries; 23 members of Cast & Crew (1993)/ director James Cameron & co-author William Wisher
  • The making of T2 –1993
  • Seamless Branching of the Theatrical cut, Director’s Cut and Special extended edition
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with audio commentary
  • Trailers – NEW T2:3D trailer (2017) T2 theatrical trailer ‘This time there are two’/ ‘Same make new mission’/ Building the perfect Arnold

Last edited by a moderator:

I felt that as well about the purple. Is it me or does it look like it's been graded more in line with T5 Genisys. The lasers from the guns in the fight against the robots in the intro scene are purple as well. I didn't notice that before. Just like in T5 Genisys.

here is a picture comparison on caps-a-holic:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11116&d2=11117&c=4415

just an example here:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109105&s2=109146&i=6&l=0

the colours are "revisionist", meaning, changed. the sharpening looks extremely digital and artificial, the original film grain is completely wiped away, up to a point where there's actually more detail to be seen in the old (less than pristine) transfer.

i don't know why anybody who loves this movie would love this new transfer, for me it looks like SH*T.
it looks like it was shot with a digital camera. which was NOT the case. this means, it's far away from the original cinematic experience in 1991.
hence my comment about colorizing "citizen kane".

Awkward-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Smile-In-Terminator-2-Gif.gif

here is a picture comparison on caps-a-holic:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11116&d2=11117&c=4415

just an example here:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109105&s2=109146&i=6&l=0

the colours are "revisionist", meaning, changed. the sharpening looks extremely digital and artificial, the original film grain is completely wiped away, up to a point where there's actually more detail to be seen in the old (less than pristine) transfer.

i don't know why anybody who loves this movie would love this new transfer, for me it looks like SH*T.
it looks like it was shot with a digital camera. which was NOT the case. this means, it's far away from the original cinematic experience in 1991.
hence my comment about colorizing "citizen kane".

Awkward-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Smile-In-Terminator-2-Gif.gif

Its the closest we have gotten to a decent T2 transfer, It has been DNR’d to hell but it beats the **** out of the Skynet transfer.

Its the closest we have gotten to a decent T2 transfer, It has been DNR’d to hell but it beats the **** out of the Skynet transfer.

sorry, but i don't think so.

a sharper picture does not always mean a better picture. or let's call it a picture closer to how it was intended to be seen.
the old transfer is not good, i can see that. but it is still closer to how the movie was projected in cinemas than what we got now with this teal-ish, over-sharpened, edge-enhanced, de-grained, artificial look.

everything is drenched in blue now.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109100&s2=109125&i=0&l=0

i think i never hated a new transfer as much as i do this one. mostly because it's one of my all-time favourite movies. :(

sorry, but i don't think so.

a sharper picture does not always mean a better picture. or let's call it a picture closer to how it was intended to be seen.
the old transfer is not good, i can see that. but it is still closer to how the movie was projected in cinemas than what we got now with this teal-ish, over-sharpened, edge-enhanced, de-grained, artificial look.

everything is drenched in blue now.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109100&s2=109125&i=0&l=0

i think i never hated a new transfer as much as i do this one. mostly because it's one of my all-time favourite movies. :(

I prefer the digital brighter more colorful / clean look. Not just in T2 but many other films as well. It's my preferred look.

For films with a lot of dialogue like Goodfellas, Godfather, Shawshank Redemption etc I prefer the old 'filmy' grainy look.

But T2 is a sci fi action flick and shouldn't be watched with grain.

At the end of the day we have many Blurays of this film so buy and keep them all in your collection. Watch the version that you like best.

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW and yy0925
I prefer the digital brighter more colorful / clean look. Not just in T2 but many other films as well. It's my preferred look.

For films with a lot of dialogue like Goodfellas, Godfather, Shawshank Redemption etc I prefer the old 'filmy' grainy look.

But T2 is a sci fi action flick and shouldn't be watched with grain.

At the end of the day we have many Blurays of this film so buy and keep them all in your collection. Watch the version that you like best.

giphy.gif

excuse me, i hate to be rude, but that is one of the most ridiculous and moronic things i have ever read here.
this movie was shot in 1991. of course it's supposed to have film grain. it is FILM, not a cheap tv show shot on digital equipment.
this is T2, not transformers 5.
now it looks similarly bad as the waxy predator disc.
if they had done the transfer in the right way, they would NOT have removed the grain, then artificially sharpened the picture to an extent it looks like it was
shot with cheap digital cameras.
if they had done this right, it would have even more detail (in a genuine 4K transfer from the negative) than you can see now with this artificial look.
removing grain ALWAYS kills detail to a certain extent.

but what was i expecting.. it's a forum for packaging collectors, not a forum for people who actually care about film.

To each their own. Some like apples, other like pears. Just keep the version you like the most. What's wrong with that statement?

With that last comment of you you will annoy many here.

To each their own. Some like apples, other like pears. Just keep the version you like the most. What's wrong with that statement?

With that last comment of you you will annoy many here.

what's wrong with this statement? i could just say, "to each their own" and let it go, and stick to the 2015 disc, which imho is still the best presentation of T2 to date (despite all the flaws).
the reason why it bothers me that much, is that as long as the majority of movie collectors actually prefer revisionist discs completely missing any filmic grain but adding stuff that
was not even there in the beginning, film companies and labels
will put out the same crap in the future again, they will do it with other movies too, that would deserve a proper restoration and then look like from a Madame Tussauds chamber instead.

it makes me so sad that T2 became waxinator 2 - judgement clay.

if somebody is pissed off by my comments, so be it, i don't stick around here that much anymore anyway, as there are other forums where people actually care about film.

You still don't get it.
1. You just insulted the whole community again, especially collectors who do care about the movies
2. Why is what you like the only right opinion and what others like "wrong"?

Beside that, although I also hate DNR-to-death remaster, I actually also like the new look with obviously more details (unlike predator).

Reactions: InAFalsetto
it's pretty sad btw. to see i'm alone with my opinion here, in any other place i checked people agree that this new transfer is a disaster, and this thread would serve as a laughing stock only.

You still don't get it.
1. You just insulted the whole community again, especially collectors who do care about the movies
2. Why is what you like the only right opinion and what others like "wrong"?

Beside that, although I also hate DNR-to-death remaster, I actually also like the new look with obviously more details (unlike predator).

1. somebody who cares about film would never say something like "T2 is a sci fi action flick and shouldn't be watched with grain."
2. if you're a true "rolling stones" fan, you would never listen to a remastered album that has added sound effects or instruments that
were not recorded by the band. same reason here.
blue laser beams in the beginning that are supposed to be red/pink?
f**k me... i seriously can't be the only one bothered by this?

3. look at the window in this shot...
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109101&s2=109127&i=2&l=0
there goes your "obviously more details":
this is by far not the only shot where the old ("bad") 2015 master shows actually more details than the new one.

@severo let me quote theterminatorfans.com and let's move on:

Terminator 2 DNR hell?
We’ve read some of earlier reviews from DVD and Blu-Ray buffs calling this conversion poor quality and commentators calling this an overall poor, lazy job but we have to say that we really don’t care too much about the much talked about DNR issues. However applying DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) is seen as a lazy way to remove noise and grain from a movie but in doing this process you lose some of the finer detail.

Some fans including TheTerminatorFans.com staff members actually prefer the look of the first Terminator movie and find real film reel and the natural grindhouse lens grit appealing. Of course we also loved the aesthetic look of Terminator 2 due to the polished visuals, and yes, Terminator 2 was filmed on film too but with better cameras and a number of years on from the first picture (not to mention the sequel obviously had a bigger budget). A none DNR’d version of the movie as an option would have been up our alley with just some basic touch ups (like removing obvious dust and speckles from the film reel itself).

It is of course understandable that the loss of quality is a boiling point for some fans but a decision was obviously made to offer fans a clean vision of Terminator 2 and it does come at some cost. Some fans will appreciate the sacrifice… some won’t and Terminator fans are a hard bunch to please anyway. Sometimes characters like Arnold are void of detail and look almost waxy and like CG in some scenes.

You would think that a loss of detail would mean everything would be blurred to the hilt but text/insignia on vehicles, street signs and set pieces can be seen clearly- it is far from watching a movie that appears to have had Vaseline smeared all over the lens of the camera. In 1080p the film looks pretty damn good.

Fans expect the best that is totally understandable and this website has taken a very critical stance on the franchise and with high expectations set in stone the demand for a better quality franchise and we will to some degree defend the remastered version of T2 from all the DNR naysayers but they have a solid right to the opinions they express and are justified to fling some shi… *ahem* mud around- we too expected better, while we are not reviewing the 4K release; the 4K heads expect the best especially when it comes to a James Cameron movie.

The focus of this remaster was 3D and of course resources and time went into a 3D conversion process perhaps if all resources were put into the 2D process little or no complaint would exist.

• Thanks
Reactions: severo
This is supposed to be a friendly community, where members can express their opinions, hopefully, without being personally attacked for doing so. What floats the boat of one member may not do so for others and viewing experiences and expectations will always differ.
Personally I don't get why that is such a complex concept for those who choose to attack the innocent comments of others......

This new remaster is all about the 3D not the 2D or 4K UHD
It was converted and remastered in 3D

Don't bother with caps-a-holic for Blu-ray releases it's an overused website site and confuses some into not purchasing some excellent Blu-ray releases.

Try this it might sound a strange thing to do put the 3D/2D/4K UHD Discs in your Blu-ray player and watch the film in motion on your TV or Projector ;)

Watching a film on your TV or Projector you might enjoy it better than looking at screen grabs on caps-a-holic that might end up looking different to what you see on your TV

Films are meant to be seen in motion on your TV/Projector and not looking at some screen caps comparision website
TV/Projector and Blu-ray players remember not all are the same so what you see can be different to caps-a-holic

There is also no 3D Blu-ray comparison done on caps-a-holic for starters

Last edited:
what's wrong with this statement? i could just say, "to each their own" and let it go, and stick to the 2015 disc, which imho is still the best presentation of T2 to date (despite all the flaws).
the reason why it bothers me that much, is that as long as the majority of movie collectors actually prefer revisionist discs completely missing any filmic grain but adding stuff that
was not even there in the beginning,
film companies and labels
will put out the same crap in the future again, they will do it with other movies too, that would deserve a proper restoration and then look like from a Madame Tussauds chamber instead.

it makes me so sad that T2 became waxinator 2 - judgement clay.

if somebody is pissed off by my comments, so be it, i don't stick around here that much anymore anyway, as there are other forums where people actually care about film.

I'm all for revising films and adding in things that weren't there in the first edit. Why ? because technology probably didn't allow it at the time but it was the directors intention all along. To me that is what remastered means. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. But as long as they go all out then as collectors we won't feel guilty double / triple dipping as we will have various versions of the film in our collection.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bungral
giphy.gif

excuse me, i hate to be rude, but that is one of the most ridiculous and moronic things i have ever read here.
this movie was shot in 1991. of course it's supposed to have film grain. it is FILM, not a cheap tv show shot on digital equipment.
this is T2, not transformers 5.
now it looks similarly bad as the waxy predator disc.
if they had done the transfer in the right way, they would NOT have removed the grain, then artificially sharpened the picture to an extent it looks like it was
shot with cheap digital cameras.
if they had done this right, it would have even more detail (in a genuine 4K transfer from the negative) than you can see now with this artificial look.
removing grain ALWAYS kills detail to a certain extent.

but what was i expecting.. it's a forum for packaging collectors, not a forum for people who actually care about film.

Me like many others don't give a sod about what is 'technically' the correct way of doing it. I believe what my eyes see and my ears hear. And from that perspective this new remastered version is perfect.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hereticz and thewoe
obviously you are not aware that edge enhancement and artifical sharpening can actully give the impression of added detail. which is the case here.
please, look again, at this zoom shot. and tell me where you can see more:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=138&y=152&d1=11116&d2=11117&s1=109101&s2=109127&l=0&i=2&go=1

You do realise that the skynet edition of T2 was DNR’d to hell also and worse than this new release, at least the new master has alot more detail in it, the skynet edition was just blurry and all detail was removed thanks to DNR.

Whilst not perfect this new master of T2 is the definitive version at the moment, we are not all purests that have to have the grain, I dont mind grain but i agree this film looks the best it ever has with the new master.