Release date: November 21, 2019
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €28.99
Notes: Glow in the Dark - 3 Discs

12269684-1074701227487039.jpg

51QPfM+m6SL._AC_SY400_.jpg
12269684-8824701227892366.jpg

Last edited:
Food for thought. Even if Jan/FA is able to shut these copies down, has the damage already been done?

But here, we are not judging the artwork. The thing that FA worked on is not the art, but the item itself: the Steelbook. The Steelbook design was made by Filmarena, it's their team who chose the art, worked on the bossing, chose the finish etc. It's probably Filmarena who dealt with Scanavo, Studiocanal probably not doing anything else than approving the use of the posters/images for the front, back and inside. Yes the art is a property of Studiocanal, but the final result (the Steelbook) isn't. And I think that's what causing issues here. But again, it really depends what was written on the contract.
yeah, i guess your right.

But here, we are not judging the artwork. The thing that FA worked on is not the art, but the item itself: the Steelbook. The Steelbook design was made by Filmarena, it's their team who chose the art, worked on the bossing, chose the finish etc. It's probably Filmarena who dealt with Scanavo, Studiocanal probably not doing anything else than approving the use of the posters/images for the front, back and inside. Yes the art is a property of Studiocanal, but the final result (the Steelbook) isn't. And I think that's what causing issues here. But again, it really depends what was written on the contract.

It all depends on what the contract is. The images are (most likely) owned by the studio. The distributer will then have a licence to use the images. So FA will probably have to have a licence themselves to use the images to design a steelbook to sell. They will likely have negotiated exclusive rights to those images, or for those images to be arranged for their steelbook.

What happens next depends what’s in the contract. Licensing is time limited - so has the limit expired? Did FA ever have any IP in the design, or was it always the distributors/film studios in exchange for exclusivity? And does that include finishes as well as images?

Remember the dark knight trilogy when the Zavvi artwork was shown to be the Japanese release but ended up being new. Could that happen here and the distributed is just sending out the wrong images.

Reactions: Greyback and DMD4k
So what everybody seems to be saying is that it really depends on what's in the contract. That's like a sentence that contains the word"but". Nothing that comes before the word "but" matters.

Just like nothing that comes before "it depends on what's in the contract" matters.

"Congratulations Johnny! You just won a million dollars in our contest! But sadly it says in our contract that if we decided that we don't want to pay out we don't have to."

So what everybody seems to be saying is that it really depends on what's in the contract. That's like a sentence that contains the word"but". Nothing that comes before the word "but" matters.

Just like nothing that comes before "it depends on what's in the contract" matters.

"Congratulations Johnny! You just won a million dollars in our contest! But sadly it says in our contract that if we decided that we don't want to pay out we don't have to."

Well, that literally happened to a couple of thieves who stole a bank card and then won £4 million on a scratch card. You cannot win money through fraudulent means, including using money you stole.

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k and Stygian
not that easy I believe. Yes the studio owns the rights of movie, but it's FA employees who worked on the design. So depending what was written in the contract, the studio might not have the right to use something that was made by a 3rd party.

Look at the John Wick 3 Steelbook (France and Benelux front artwork), the poster was made by a 3rd party artist (who actually used images from John Wick 2) and the studio paid the artist to use these as official posters, if I am correct.

I'm not saying FA are the good guys here, it really depends what was written in the contract when FA asked to make a Terminator 2 release.

In this case, Studiocanal got the same artwork choice about 15 years before Filmarena used this for a Steelbook. So Studiocanal could argue that this idea/concept is not Filmarena exclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seeing the relevance as they are not identical.

the artwork here is arnie on the motorcycle.. not the placement of the title or any other minor tweaks!

otherwise my new idea of creating WEA would be: take existing WEA and realign it 1mm to the left.. voila, totally new.. dare to use it, i sue the **** out of you ;-)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DMD4k

the artwork here is arnie on the motorcycle.. not the placement of the title or any other minor tweaks!

otherwise my new idea of creating WEA would be: take existing WEA and realign it 1mm to the left.. voila, totally new.. dare to use it, i sue the **** out of you ;-)

Yeah, seriously, it's not the same at all. Different finish, embossing, no GITD, and I do count the title placement as part of the design. That didn't design itself on its own.
FA either have a contract in place or they don't. And maybe someone is in breach... or maybe not.

I doubt FA think they invented the original art they have worked on.

Let us also not forget the rear, it is also exactly the same as the FA steel. What were the odds of that happening without it actually being a direct copy?

Reactions: hatredhorror
Yeah, seriously, it's not the same at all. Different finish, embossing, no GITD, and I do count the title placement as part of the design. That didn't design itself on its own.
FA either have a contract in place or they don't. And maybe someone is in breach... or maybe not.

I doubt FA think they invented the original art they have worked on.
yes, but how much work is behind choosing a finish, adding that gitg effect, etc? i guess the studio could do all that by themselves in 15 minutes... so they probably thought that fac wouldnt mind if they reuse their concept... im worried that if fac insist on this, the studio will be reluctent to work with them in the future... if they even care enough..

I don't know what kind of contract they have/had. It doesn't matter if the design is good or not, or if it took FA 5 minutes or 5 days. It's identical.
I'm more worried about WWA undermining future WEA work and destroying the market when it happens. No market = no hobby.

I want better/more unique steelbooks than are normally produced as WWA. Studios stabbing a premium retailer in the back, especially before they have sold out, is just plain wrong.

Reactions: djjez83
Something seems to be happening with this release.

This is my original pre-order confirmation from amazon.de (the price was 35,53 €):

screen1.PNG

Now it's not showing "3-Disc steelbook" anymore. And the price is now down to 27,53 €.

screen2.PNG

So maybe some copyright problem after all?

Something seems to be happening with this release.

This is my original pre-order confirmation from amazon.de (the price was 35,53 €):

View attachment 445910

Now it's not showing "3-Disc steelbook" anymore. And the price is now down to 27,53 €.

View attachment 445911

So maybe some copyright problem after all?
UK and Germany is not 3 Discs and was not listed at any stage on their website as 3 discs

UK and Germany is 2 Discs
4K UHD
Blu-ray

Filmarena Discs has nothing to do with StudioCanal UK/German release as these was done by Czech Distributor Bontonfilm

FilmArena FAC steelbook releases film and extras the content is from StudioCanal but discs are from a czech distributor Bontonfilm who authored the Blu-ray discs for the FAC releases
These FAC Blu-ray discs from Bontonfilm are different to StudioCanal trade wide Europe release 2D and 3D Blu-ray Discs released in December 2017.
The UHD and 2D and 3D discs done by Bontonfilm have the 4K scan remastered theatrical cut

StudioCanal UK/Germany release
4K scan remastered transfers of Theatrical cut

Disc 1 4K UHD (Theatrical cut 137 min)
Disc 2 Blu-ray Theatrical cut with seamless branching option of Special Edition Cut 153 min and Extended Cut 156 min + Extras

Theatrical cut 4K scan remastered

These are the same 2 discs as previously released in UK/Germany Terminator 2 4K release from December 2017

Price on Amazon Germany has dropped as expected as previous price was RRP

Last edited:
Thanks @paulboland. But I was not comparing the content with the Fimarena release.
Amazon.de previously announced a 3-Disc steelbook themselves (see my screenshot). Now it seems uncertain if it will be a steelbook at all.
Following the discussion about the copyright for the design from Filmarena, I am just wondering if StudioCanal is not allowed to release the same steelbook elsewhere after all...