- Interview with J.P Gaultier (03:24)
- Trailer (01:14)
- Teaser 1 (00:32)
- Teaser 2 (00:36)
- Teaser 3 (00:37)
13043274_1203904116309967_3626491022413943518_n.jpg

14622458967381602.jpg

Last edited:
This and Delicatessen are two great Jean-Pierre Jeunet films and excellent choices by INFO :thumbs:, which I find to be wildly uneven in its picks: you have very serious films like on one hand Camille Claudel, Chaplin or La religieuse, and on the other hand Step Up 1 & 2 or some of Schwarzy's most obscure films (Red Sonja, Red Heat, Raw Deal).

On May 5 though, the film gets a French Blu-ray release (oddly enough it was released on BD elsewhere before) and it's got a "restored version supervised by Jean-Pierre Jeunet". I'm not sure this will be the version included in this INFO release :(. It's available for pre-order on amazon.fr.

This and Delicatessen are two great Jean-Pierre Jeunet films and excellent choices by INFO :thumbs:, which I find to be wildly uneven in its picks: you have very serious films like on one hand Camille Claudel, Chaplin or La religieuse, and on the other hand Step Up 1 & 2 or some of Schwarzy's most obscure films (Red Sonja, Red Heat, Raw Deal).

On May 5 though, the film gets a French Blu-ray release (oddly enough it was released on BD elsewhere before) and it's got a "restored version supervised by Jean-Pierre Jeunet". I'm not sure this will be the version included in this INFO release :(. It's available for pre-order on amazon.fr.
Don't worry, buddy!:naughty:
INFO will use restored version.;)
giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Bunk and anae31
This is fantastic news! CoLC and delicatessen are my favourite Jeunet and Caro movies so an immediate buy for me! Had given up on any kind of special treatment for this movie
Will this come with a booklet or extras?? The spine on the image at the top looks deeper than a standard slip box suggesting so, or am I imagining things? Hopefully this will have a good choice of subs and be region free Hungry for more info now!!

I am a happy man that this and Delicatessen are getting the treatment.

The American blu-ray that was released not long ago was initially delayed by a couple of months so they could use that new restoration--I'm betting this release will use it as well.

I miss the darkness that Caro contributed to these films. I still love all of Jeunet's work, but IMO he hasn't managed to reproduce the perfection of these two films since he's been working alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Glad I held off buying the US edition! I guess if a steelbook was coming it would have arrived around the time of the restoration..
Apologies for taking this off topic but if you like Caro, @adarkcorner you might be interested in Vidocq (aka Dark Portals): Its directed by Pitof but Caro worked on the visuals - it has a very styalised feel to it similar to City of Lost Children and Delicatessen. Been a few years since I watched it now.. Apologies if telling you what you already know!!

Reactions: adarkcorner
I am a happy man that this and Delicatessen are getting the treatment.

The American blu-ray that was released not long ago was initially delayed by a couple of months so they could use that new restoration--I'm betting this release will use it as well.

I miss the darkness that Caro contributed to these films. I still love all of Jeunet's work, but IMO he hasn't managed to reproduce the perfection of these two films since he's been working alone.
Excited! Totally agree with everything you said! Caro brought BALANCE to the material. I still really enjoy JPJ's stuff and amazing direction- but it becomes almost too saccharine-sweet-whimsical without Caro's more dark edge for balance. Delicatessen and COLC were some of THE defining works of modern cinema in the '90's.
And @mikeab07 , that is an interesting recommendation of Dark Portals. I have never seen it - Pitof was the head of visual effects for City of Lost Children (Good) but he was also the director of Catwoman! :ohno::ohno:!!!

Does INFO do their booklets with both Korean AND English like Plain Archive?

Glad I held off buying the US edition! I guess if a steelbook was coming it would have arrived around the time of the restoration..
Apologies for taking this off topic but if you like Caro, @adarkcorner you might be interested in Vidocq (aka Dark Portals): Its directed by Pitof but Caro worked on the visuals - it has a very styalised feel to it similar to City of Lost Children and Delicatessen. Been a few years since I watched it now.. Apologies if telling you what you already know!!

...that is an interesting recommendation of Dark Portals. I have never seen it - Pitof was the head of visual effects for City of Lost Children (Good) but he was also the director of Catwoman! :ohno::ohno:!!!

You know, I've had that film in various wishlists and queues over the years and have been on the verge of watching it numerous times, but I've always balked at the last minute because, if I'm not mistaken, the story/characters are based on some French series of books (or comics, or TV shows, or something like that) that have a long, illustrious history, and I was afraid I'd be totally lost going into this film, or that it would be the wrong place to start. But I didn't know until now that there was any cross-pollination of talent between Lost Children and Dark Portals, so I believe I'll hunt it down again (even if the director did make Catwoman)!

Does INFO do their booklets with both Korean AND English like Plain Archive?

I hate to say it, but all of the INFO releases I've seen only have art cards as extras inside the package, no booklets :(. I currently have Blood Simple (no booklet), and I've got O Brother Where Art Thou and Escape From New York on the way (Kimchi's package shots show no booklets for these, either). And in the package shots for all of those and some other INFO releases like Raw Deal, the slip looks just as thick as the one here for Lost Children, so I'm not getting my hopes up that there will be a booklet with these two releases.

Last edited:
Have looked a little into the transfer situation around the 20th anniversary remaster - although supervised by Jeunet some have found the image to be subject to black 'crushing' - I can see what these reviewers are getting at as detail is missing in darker areas in the DVD to Blu comparison http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5468&d2=5469&s1=51077&s2=51088&i=7&l=0 although the general image is a lot better defined IMO. Personally I think this is the nicest looking Blu Ray package for this movie and as this disc will probably be the final conversion (as overseen by the director) I'm still in for the Info edition (unless a steel is announced prior to release)!!

• Helpful Post
  • Informative
Reactions: lolwut and C.C. 95
Have looked a little into the transfer situation around the 20th anniversary remaster - although supervised by Jeunet some have found the image to be subject to black 'crushing' - I can see what these reviewers are getting at as detail is missing in darker areas in the DVD to Blu comparison http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=5468&d2=5469&s1=51077&s2=51088&i=7&l=0 although the general image is a lot better defined IMO. Personally I think this is the nicest looking Blu Ray package for this movie and as this disc will probably be the final conversion (as overseen by the director) I'm still in for the Info edition (unless a steel is announced prior to release)!!
Interesting to note, however, the JP blu ray is listed as a 25GB disc, and the U.S. disc was 50GB - so I don't really know what the hell is going on!
And a little black crush is different than the "DNR disaster" someone mentioned (which generally is code for 'smearing' 'smoothing' and 'waxy people').

Interesting to note, however, the JP blu ray is listed as a 25GB disc, and the U.S. disc was 50GB - so I don't really know what the hell is going on!
And a little black crush is different than the "DNR disaster" someone mentioned (which generally is code for 'smearing' 'smoothing' and 'waxy people').

That someone was me two posts up! I said "mess" but yeah, look at the comparisons with the DVD. The JP BD is actually missing details that were on the DVD: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=523&y=161&d1=5468&d2=5469&s1=51079&s2=51089&l=0&i=8&go=1

That someone was me two posts up! I said "mess" but yeah, look at the comparisons with the DVD. The JP BD is actually missing details that were on the DVD: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=523&y=161&d1=5468&d2=5469&s1=51079&s2=51089&l=0&i=8&go=1
I can live with slightly crushed blacks, more than excessive smoothing...
But this is always weird, because JPJ supervied the transfer - BUT, sometimes we have seen directors screw up their own transfers (French Connection anyone?). I have yet to watch the 20th Anniversary Edition I got from Amazon, so I don't know. But, whatever I think is moot anyway, because this is gonna be the transfer for many moons (unless somehow this Korean edition ends up being a different one).